Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRipper
enthusiast
Re: Grain and CONTAMINATION
    #86213 - 06/08/00 10:26 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Heh, first piece of advice to relay to him is that he needs to stop talking in the 3rd person because he doesn't know how. 2nd piece of advice he needs to check the altitude sterilization chart in the grow/find section. Altitude can have great effects upon sterilization. 3rd is that 1 hour at 15 psi isn't sufficient for grains, usually 1.5 hours at 15 psi works, I shoot for 1 hour at 24 psi.

Ripper

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Grain and CONTAMINATION
    #86215 - 06/09/00 01:16 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Psilly,
There can be several reasons you got contamination.

First of all, listen to ripper; your altitude could be a contributing factor. If so, adjust your pressure and sterilization times accordingly. I also sterilize for 1.5 hours minimum.

Secondly, consider spontaneous contamination. I strongly suggest filter discs, or try wrapping aluminum foil over lids. When your cooker cools, contaminates can get sucked into the jars, especially if you use rapid depressurization on your jars. If no filters, as soon as cool inoculate, put them back into the box they came in with the lids covered in foil, spray lysol, seal and incubate.

The tertiary reason could be the inoculation itself. I don't use an oven, I like a large cardboard box covered in saran wrap. Work slowly. SLOWLY lift petri dish. Thin gloves keep any contaminates from jumping off your hand to the dish.
Keep one sterile jar and observe it. If it does not contaminate, your problem occurs when you open your jar.
Rye grain is wonderfull! Make sure to use organic.
Hope this helps!

------------------

What little I know....

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology