Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineNewHunter
help
Loc: Washington
Re: Do blind people hallucinate? [Re: Fd3000]
    #806451 - 08/09/02 08:16 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

maybe sence he has never really been able to see things his other sences may become effected? I am not sure i jsut tought that

--------------------
RAIN^^^RAIN^^^RAIN^^^RAIN^^^RAIN

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #806478 - 08/09/02 08:36 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I remember reading somewhere about people who are blind from birth and how they dream. Apparently if you have never had sight, you have nothing to "remember" to see in your dreams. What I read said that people who have always been blind still dream, but their dreams are made up of the senses they are used to - touch, taste, sound, smell. So in essence they experience their dreams in much the same way that they experience the waking world.

I might be going out on a limb here...but I think it would be the same idea for tripping. I'll bet your friend will experience the trip as a collection of auditory and tactile hallucinations. I think that people who are blind from birth do not have a fully developed visual cortex in their brain, so I'm not sure if a hallucinogen will produce any visual phenomena for him at all.

But I could be wrong, this is just my speculation.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #806587 - 08/09/02 09:28 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

How could he describe what he saw, "it looked like a triangle"....oh wait hes never seen a triangle.....

There was a great article a few years back in a psychology magazine (sorry - no reference) about a 40 yo man who regained his sight which he lost as an infant. (There was a Val Kilmer movie based loosely and erroneously on his story. Although the part where he walks through a glass door was true.)

One thing his doctors wondered would be if he could visually tell a circle from a square (it was easy with his hands). The patient was totally confused and could not associate touch with the image (until after a lot of practice!), so shape descriptions were meaningless to him. Obviously the same with colors.

Vision is neurological, "seeing" is learned.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineSurwinMaxawow
TONKA TOY
Male User Gallery

Re: Do blind people hallucinate? [Re: Swami]
    #806620 - 08/09/02 09:44 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Swami: I agree with you thoughts on this. However I think that there might be the strange possibility that his mind could purhaps stumble onto something such as sight. Think about the fact that sometimes people who are tripping seem to sometimes taste or hear colors, or see sounds. And then there are those very strange things that happen where people are suddenly tapping into their friend's mind or the universal consciousness that we all share....maybe even get memories of past lives...who knows. I know that many dont believe in any of those kinds of things, but I have had enough paranormal experiences myself to make me realize that there is a lot more to life than we understand.....and strange things do happen.

InvisibleUFOz8MyGoat
The Governator Sayz Go Chagaz
Male

Loc: USA
    #806725 - 08/09/02 10:32 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I think it just depends on the person blind or not...

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Loc: ^^ His house ^^
Re: Do blind people hallucinate? [Re: UFOz8MyGoat]
    #807248 - 08/09/02 02:36 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

This question is like describing a car horn to a deaf person, it cant be figured out!

He said he is willing to try something new(which means yes). Not sure when though.....

Thanks for all the great unput!
Fd

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

Offlinedickdeadly
rælity

Loc: in my mind
    #807505 - 08/09/02 05:24 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

YOU GUYS THERE IS A POST ON TRIP REPORTS OF A BLIND PERSON DOING SHROOMS!!!! I DUNNO WHERE EXACTLY BUT I REMEMBER READING IT A WHILE BACK.... HUNT IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

Character is how you act when you think no one is watching

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Do blind people hallucinate? [Re: dickdeadly]
    #808233 - 08/10/02 05:15 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I remember reading this trip report as well! It was by a blind woman who lived in Hawaii, I believe. I remember one part about her standing out on her balcony and feeling wonderful, but I don't remember anything about whether she actually had any visual hallucinations or not.

I'm going to try to hunt it down...

--------------------
Namaste.

Offlinemntlfngrs
The Art of Casterbation
Male User Gallery

#809644 - 08/10/02 08:22 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I had a blind friend who tripped all the time but he went blind from diabeties (sp?).
Ask him if he can imagine things. If he holds a ball can he visualize it, or a face. If so I think he may be able to have some sort of innner visuals. Like pushing on closed eyes but different cause what we see from butting pressure on our eye ins caused by pressure on the optic nerve. I bet he will have some intense auditory hallucinations

--------------------
Be all and you'll be to end all

OfflineMadDhAdDeR420
enthusiast
Loc: Arizona
Re: Do blind people hallucinate? [Re: Swami]
    #809728 - 08/10/02 09:01 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i totaly agree with you. your friend could not see shapes colors for what they are. but i personaly think the power of mushrooms will give him some type of visual though. although they work from memeroy they also work from imagination. and for i blind person there imagination would be out there. i tink he would mistake things for what there are. such ass dogs thats don't look like dogs but aliens to him so it might send him to a bad trip cause he would never know what he's seeing is what he's seeing. and the mentality might kick him in the ass. but definatly keep everyone updated?

--------------------
Live life to the fullest.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #809863 - 08/10/02 10:28 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Only if they close their eyes while on the shrooms.

mj

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
Re: Do blind people hallucinate? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #810058 - 08/11/02 02:13 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Did anyone find that trip report yet?

Please post the link

Good luck

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

Offlinegregouse
thanatonaut
Loc: Vienna/Austria
Neurological discovery? [Re: Fd3000]
    #810069 - 08/11/02 02:49 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Hi all from vienna austria:
the topic of this thread is fascinating, I did some kind of research design on this topic back in psych graduated classes and was amazed by the lack of in-depth researches done with psychedelics on blind subjects, even in the 60's and 70's.

My point is that we must differentiate between people born-blind (no memories of seeing) or not/ and between cortically (no visual cortex fucntionning) or retinally blind (no input from retina) people. This will allow to learn more about 'parallel information pathways' enabled by psychedelics. For details read my study proposal (http://www.hallucination.info/hallucination.html), i would be happy to hear your feedback!!

I am very impatient off course to be updated on this story and on other blind people tripping, but what is the condition of your friend? (retina or cortex malfunction) ?

Peace to all
GreG

--------------------
------ Every blade of grass has its angel that bends over it and whispers, grow, grow.-------

------ Join the company of lions rather than assume the lead among foxes.------

The Talmud

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Neurological discovery? [Re: gregouse]
    #811226 - 08/11/02 05:21 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I agree, a destiction between people born blind and people who go blind is necessary. I remember reading once that if you are blind from birth your brain does not develop it's visual cortex, where as if you go blind later in life you probably already have a good working visual cortex, just damaged eyes.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineTeKHeAD009
Stranger
    #811752 - 08/11/02 10:28 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I want to see the results! Post them for sure!

I think if he does see colors he'll be able to tell you. Even if you've been blind your whole life and saw nothing, if you were to trip and suddenly see a colored kalidascope pattern I'm sure you would just know (instinctively?) that it was color you were seeing. How else would you describe it?

Thats IF he sees anything. I think that trendal is right, any of his halutionations will most probably be tactile and auditory if visual halutionations are mostly memories.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder