Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejalpod
Stranger
Questions about specific situation
    #800650 - 08/06/02 06:59 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Okay, I should explain my situation. I have 12 half pint jars and I injected each with about 2 ccs of various spores. I have hawians, equadorians, treasure coasts, and b+s. My growth chamber setup was fine and after about 3 weeks or so my jars were fully colonized and ready to be birthed. I bought a large 15 gallon kmart tub and filled the bottom with a half inch or so of perlite(that was all i had at the time) . I moistened the perlite with tap water and placed the cakes directly on top of the perlite and upside down. I put them upside down because during the last week of growth I flipped the jars. In any case I am slightly worried about contamination even though I have yet to see any visible signs that any of the cakes are contaminated, I want to take any precuations from now on to prevent them from becoming contaminated. Is there anything I can do to decrease the risk of losing cakes? Also my humidity is very low(only about 70%) and my temperature is hovering around 72. It has been two days and I have yet to see any pinning. I figure I have to increase the amount of perlite in the tub, but what is the best way to go about doing that? I'm somewhat afraid of touching the cakes but I also realize that inaction at this point could mess up all the work I put into them so far. Oh, on last point of note, about three times a day or so I open the lid to let the co2 out and spray the lid with a mixture of about 50%, 3% h202, and 50% distilled water. Is this a good idea? My final question is, should I place the cakes on aluminum foil while I am going about increasing the amount of perlite in the tub?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

Re: Questions about specific situation [Re: jalpod]
    #801600 - 08/07/02 06:54 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You need to use a mixture of h2o2 when moistening your perlite especially if your going to put the cakes directly on it. The humidity level is low, for cakes you need to bring it up around 95-100. Dont spray the lid, spray the sides. The moisture will condense and fall ontop of your cakes and possible contaminiate them. CO2 is heaveier than air, so just taking the lid off will not remove the CO2, you need to fan them, or pop some holes on the sides near the bottom so the CO2 will flow out. Take your Gloved hands and wash them good with H2O2, then lift up under the perlite and lift the cake to move them, that way your not directly touching the cake. bluhoney

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

Edited by bluhoney (08/07/02 08:16 AM)

Offlinejalpod
Stranger
Re: Questions about specific situation [Re: bluhoney]
    #801726 - 08/07/02 07:58 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i guess i will attempt that tonight, I mean the sooner the better at this point. I'm pretty nervous about messing this up and wasting a month of my life but I gotta try. Thanks for the advice.

OfflineJohnnyR
mi cixelsyd

Loc: a hot place
Re: Questions about specific situation [Re: bluhoney]
    #801738 - 08/07/02 08:04 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

In reply to:

Take your Gloved hands and wash them good with CO2

LoL

--------------------
-----------------------------------------

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

Re: Questions about specific situation [Re: JohnnyR]
    #801759 - 08/07/02 08:15 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

oops, I ment wash your hands with H2O2, LMAO, dont use CO2, it will freeze your hand off. LOL. Thanks JohnnyQ. bluhoney

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

Offlinejalpod
Stranger
    #803063 - 08/07/02 06:39 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I thought people may want an update on my situation. After washing my hands thorougly I lifted the cakes up one by one and placed down an extra 2 inches of perlite. Then i filled the perlite up with a combination distilled water and H202. I noticed one of the cakes had a gray fuzz on it and rather than take a chance I decided to toss it. Anyway I think the humidity is rising so I can only hope for the future.

Offlinefunwithgus
Loc: Philadelphia area
    #803416 - 08/07/02 09:49 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Did you just poor the water and H2O2 into the tub? I read that it's better to wet the perlite thoroughly in a strainer and then put that into the terrarium so there is no standing water/H2O2 in the bottom. You can pour some H2O2 over it to ward off contams. The more air and surface area around the perlite pieces the higher the humidity will get. Also, 50% H2O2 in the water sounds a little high to me. I don't know if that will harm the fungus or not. I believe I read others using around %10 H2O2, but I'm not sure on that.

--------------------
Say, can I have some of your purple berries?
Yes, I've been eating them, for six or seven weeks now, haven't got sick once.

Offlinejalpod
Stranger
Re: Questions about specific situation [Re: funwithgus]
    #803848 - 08/08/02 05:54 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I prolly should have mentioned that the h202 is 3% h202 and 97% distilled water, so I doubt it is in sufficient quantitys to harm the mushrooms. Yes I poured the water directly into the tub, but regardless the humidity is still very low. I really had no choice about that though because half of the perlite i was using was already in the tub and removing the cakes so I could get to that perlite would have further risked contamination. I am thinking of trying out an alternative method of humidifing like the cool mist/garden hose humidifier tek or something. If anyone has tried this method, could they provide some clarification. The way I see it now is I take a cool mist humidifier, put duct tape over the exhaust, drill a hole for garden hose towards the middle of the tank, place the opposite end of the garden hose in my terrarium, run atleast 1.5 feet of garden hose, and make sure the garden hose runs uphill and has no vertical loops. If thats what I need to do, I'll run out later today to but the materials I need. I really don't want to mess this up.

edit: I was wondering how much I should be worried about contamination at this point? Most of my cakes look pretty healthy and I mist once a day with h202/distilled water combo. Can I lay back and enjoy this growth period, or should i be frantically trying to sterlize things?

Edited by jalpod (08/08/02 06:05 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation