Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleUFOz8MyGoat
The Governator Sayz Go Chagaz
Male

Loc: USA
another ID southern okla...
    #794130 - 08/03/02 11:18 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

cap is about 6" wide stem almost the same length...found in a yard

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: another ID southern okla... [Re: UFOz8MyGoat]
    #794672 - 08/03/02 06:49 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

As usual, a spore print would be very helpful.

Just from a first look, it looks like an Agaricus. If so, it will have a chocolate brown spore print.

Assuming it is an Agaricus, we will need to know bruising reactions (cut it in half vertically, abuse the inside with the knife blade, and watch for a couple minutes) and the odor (if any). Bruising reactions for Agaricus should be checked in the cap flesh and near the base of the stem.

One final question - was the ring like in the photos when you found the mushroom? Ring appearance is also important when IDing Agaricus.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleUFOz8MyGoat
Male

Re: another ID southern okla... [Re: ToxicMan]
    #794838 - 08/03/02 09:33 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

tried spore print no dice this thing had already dropped them...im gonna try and get another one tomorrow to get a print and cut it in half...has a strong ass odor like the ones u buy from a store...if that helps it stinks tho

InvisibleUFOz8MyGoat
Male

#794860 - 08/03/02 10:00 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I think the lady disposed of the rest of them but...i found similar ones inn the woods near by

they both have the ring

InvisibleUFOz8MyGoat
Male

#795395 - 08/04/02 10:15 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

gills of this one are pink/choclate color...i?m getting a spore print the first mushie wuz dead and dried in the sun the gills had changed to purple/black...

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
    #795468 - 08/04/02 11:11 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Erm... Neither one of those are active.

If you've been looking in the woods for active mushrooms during this time of year, then there is a reason you're shroomless... What you're looking for doesn't grow in the woods

InvisibleUFOz8MyGoat
Male

Re: another ID southern okla... [Re: Gumby]
    #795482 - 08/04/02 11:22 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

i knew they were'nt active it needs to rain here before I can find anymore active ones ...wuz jut curious what they were

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #795509 - 08/04/02 11:58 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

The photos seem to show that it is not bruising significantly. Make sure you rub the cut tissue firmly so that it is very bruised. The colors you would be watching for are yellow, brown, or reddish.

As far as the odor, try smelling a relatively young specimen. The odor is usually most noticeable either at the base of the stem (crush the tissue and sniff) or near the junction between the stem and cap. The odor should be either similar to the store Agaricus, like almonds (a sweet smell like benzaldehyde), or similar to phenol or library paste. You may also notice no particular odor, but if the odor seems mild, try to see if maybe it is a faint library paste odor.

From what is visible here, it appears the characters are: no bruising, odor similar to the store mushrooms, and an intermediate, fragile, bandlike annulus. Although the photo makes the immature gills look almost white, you state that they are pink (look at the gill area visible through the crack in the cap at the 7:00 position - that almost looks white on my screen). That should place it close to Agaricus campestris. The statement that you found them in the woods is atypical of Agaricus campestris, but the other characters would lead me to conclude that it is a close relative. Keep in mind that I am basing the ID on the list of characters above, as well as the guess that the spore print will turn out to be chocolate brown. If any of these are wrong, then the ID is wrong also. In other words, read through the list and judge for yourself if the description is accurate for your specimen. It would also be good for you to verify the ID in your own book(s). The best character for IDing the poisonous Agaricus is a phenolic (library paste) odor - unfortunately, some people seem unable to detect it very well.

On the negative side, Agaricus is a genus with a high percentage of problems - that is, a lot of people get sick eating them (and I mean the ones listed as edible). On the positive side, if you aren't among the lose-your-lunch group, they tend to be very good eating.

Agaricus campestris and its close relatives are considered very good edibles, but try a small amount the first time you eat it so that, if you get sick, it isn't as bad. You should know within a few hours if you're going to have a problem. If there's a problem, it will normally be nausea and possibly vomiting.

Boy, rereading all this makes me want to try them out, too. The poisonous Agaricus species bruise yellow and smell like phenol. The others are generally pretty good, just try a small amount the first time just in case.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification