Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMr_Psilocin
finding moreactives thanever
 User Gallery

An Edible?I was thinking Agaricus campestris?
    #4741291 - 10/01/05 04:35 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I found this mushroom in a cow pasture.I saw a mushroom on the net that looked very familiar to it it's called Agaricus campestris.

* Habitat: pasture,BC Canada,In grass in a cow pasture
* Characteristics of the gills: purple
* Characteristics of the stem: 3cm in length,1cm in diameter,white,like a normal mushroom,solid,thick
* Characteristics of the cap: 2cm in diameter,white
* Spore print color: light brown
* Color that the mushroom bruises:none
* anything else you might find important: Looks a lot like the edible kind Agaricus campestris but I'm no expert what do you guys think?

Cap:

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mr_reggea/detail?.dir=4a53&.dnm=212f.jpg&.src=ph

Gills:
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mr_reggea/detail?.dir=4a53&.dnm=885d.jpg&.src=ph

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mr_reggea/detail?.dir=4a53&.dnm=b4f9.jpg&.src=ph
Thanks  :thumbup: :thumbup: :mushroom2:

--------------------
"I experimented with marijuana a time or two, and I didn't like it. I didn't inhale, and never tried it again." Bill Clinton

"A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly fifteen hundred pounds of marijuana within about 15 minutes to induce a lethal response... In strict medical terms, marijuana is far safer than many of the foods we commonly consume. For example, eating ten raw potatoes can result in a toxic response. By comparison, it is physically impossible to eat enough marijuana to induce death."

DEA Administrative Law Judge Francis L. Young
Opinion and Recommended Ruling, Findings of Fact,

http://www.hempfiles.com/php/quotes.php

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: An Edible?I was thinking Agaricus campestris? [Re: Mr_Psilocin]
    #4741462 - 10/01/05 05:18 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Those are definitely Agaricus, so you have the correct genus. Unfortunately, identifying Agaricus specimens accurately to species is difficult. The second photo seems to show that the broken stems are bruising reddish. Can you confirm that? The bruising color of Agaricus is one of the most important features for identification. Another important one is odor. Try smelling at the top of the stem, near the gills. Finally, how firm is the flesh of the cap? Is it almost like a marshmallow, firm, hard and rubbery, almost hard like rock?

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMr_Psilocin
 User Gallery

Re: An Edible?I was thinking Agaricus campestris? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #4743508 - 10/02/05 01:44 AM (11 years, 11 months ago)

well it's all dried up now but as far as I remember it was rubbery I think..Can you tell me the characteristics of the agaricus campestris? Just so that next time I go out hunting for them a long with semilanceata's and subbs..that I'll have an edible with me just in case someone for some reason calls the cops on me and says I'm collecting hallucinogenic ones that I'll be able to show them the agaricus. Plus of course I will make some nice omelet's with the next bunch I find he he :smile:

--------------------
"I experimented with marijuana a time or two, and I didn't like it. I didn't inhale, and never tried it again." Bill Clinton

"A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly fifteen hundred pounds of marijuana within about 15 minutes to induce a lethal response... In strict medical terms, marijuana is far safer than many of the foods we commonly consume. For example, eating ten raw potatoes can result in a toxic response. By comparison, it is physically impossible to eat enough marijuana to induce death."

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #4745292 - 10/02/05 03:13 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Agaricus campestris tends to have a soft cap, almost like a firm marshmallow. Also, they have only an earthy odor and no bruising. They are not among the large Agaricus species, so they should be around 3 inches typically.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMr_Psilocin
 User Gallery

#4745537 - 10/02/05 04:51 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Something weird happened...one of them totally dissolved into a gooey mush 2 day's ago and now the one next to it has done the same...I also found little maggots or worms in the mush..but how could maggots dissolve and entire mushroom that fast?
If you want I'll make some pictures and show you.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #4746295 - 10/02/05 08:34 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

That happens all the time. It's not just the maggots. Their feces are contaminated with bacteria (just like our feces) and help with breaking everything down. There are also bacteria from the habitat that are participating.

I've found boletes that were over a foot tall that when you touch them they cave in because they're only a thin hollow shell and a *bunch* of maggots inside.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMr_Psilocin
 User Gallery

#4746429 - 10/02/05 09:04 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Oh man how do I prevent this from happening? If that had happened to any actives I might have found I would have been pissed outta this world :frown:

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #4746569 - 10/02/05 09:44 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Start by checking your finds out in the field. Your mushrooms were probably already full of maggots when you brought them home. Cut the stem and see if there are maggot tunnels in there. If there are, don't waste your time with them - they're already gone.

Don't use plastic bags. The mushrooms sweat and the increased moisture promotes decay by bacteria. Use waxed paper or brown paper bags.

When you get them home, put them in the refrigerator. Treat them like you would mushrooms from the store. They should last a few days if they were young and fresh when you picked them. Don't depend on them lasting more than a week.

Drying is a good way to preserve most mushrooms. Freezing works well with some.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMr_Psilocin
 User Gallery

#4747006 - 10/02/05 11:34 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

O.k thanks for all of you're help!! :smile: :popular:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification