Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Salvia, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegrowin
addict
salvia cultivators - gimme a hand. HELP!
    #793687 - 08/03/02 06:20 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i brought a salvia plant from abroad. i cut it to 6 pices every part about 7 cm long.
i then rolled every piece in wet toilet papaer and put them in a nylon bag, and put it in my bag.

when i got home i put every piece in a glass with some water, so it will root.
its located in my room near the window with hot temputers (about 28C) and a RH about 45%. i also spray it once -twice a day.

leaves began going black and also the edges of the stem.
should i cut the big leaves because the little cutting cant support such big leaves? why is the stem going black also? should i put something in the water to help rooting?
does the cutting need leaves, or can it survive without them? (when i say cutting i mean a piece of the big stem)

salvia cultivators - gimme a hand

a growin original

Edited by growin (08/03/02 06:31 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMindTrap
Disembodiedvoice
Loc: It's all in your head...
Re: salvia cultivators - gimme a hand. HELP! [Re: growin]
    #793700 - 08/03/02 06:36 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Propagating Salvia divinorum from cuttings.

Salvia divinorum is a relatively easy plant to propagate from cuttings. Small cuttings will usually root within two or three weeks. Cuttings seem to root best when they are between two and eight inches long. They should be cut off of the mother plant using sharp, clean shears. The cut should be made just bellow a node.

To root the cuttings in water: Put each cutting into a glass of water. Each glass should be filled about 4 -5 cm (1 1/2 - 2") deep. It is a good idea to use a separate glass for each cutting so that if one starts to rot it doesn?t spoil the water and kill the others. Leave the glasses indoors in diffuse light and add a little water as necessary to maintain the water level. In about two weeks you should see some roots starting to form. Some cuttings may root more quickly than others. I find that they root just fine in plain water and no rooting hormones are necessary.

When the cuttings have several roots 1 - 2 cm (1/4 - 3/4")long, they should be planted in pots of loose potting soil and watered well so that the soil is completely moist. Keep them indoors for another two or three weeks so that they can establish a good root system in the pots with out having to deal with the wind and big temperature swings of the outdoors. You will need to keep the plants in a moist environment for a few days after moving them from the water to the pots to keep them from wilting. The easiest thing to do is to just cover the whole plant with a large upside down jar or use a big plastic bag with a wire cage support to keep it from collapsing on the plant. Spraying them with a fine mist occasionally is also a good idea. Don?t wait too long to move the cuttings from the water to soil. If you do the roots will be more prone to damage and the cuttings will begin to starve for nutrients.

Offlinegrowin
addict
Re: salvia cultivators - gimme a hand. HELP! [Re: MindTrap]
    #793729 - 08/03/02 07:06 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

man, iv read all the cultivating writings.
its just that the blackening seems to get bigger and im afraid it'll get all black and die.
i dont know if i just cut the stem in two and put the upper piece in water - will it root?
wont the fact of being a plant with relatively big stem and leaves and no roots be a probelm?

growin original

OfflineSalviaEngland
Omnipresence

Loc: Alternate Dimensions
Re: salvia cultivators - gimme a hand. HELP! [Re: MindTrap]
    #793731 - 08/03/02 07:09 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

• Remove any black areas.

• Place the cutting and the glass of water in a clear plastic bag with some form of frame to prevent the bag damaging the cutting. This will proved a humid environment and stop the wilting.

• Change the water more often, to help prevent the stem from rotting.

--------------------

Cactus

OfflineSalviaEngland
Omnipresence

Loc: Alternate Dimensions
Re: salvia cultivators - gimme a hand. HELP! [Re: SalviaEngland]
    #793746 - 08/03/02 07:24 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Trimming the larger leafs will reduce the stress on the cuttings, but under humid conditions I have not found it necessary.

When I get stem rot on cuttings they are usually lost, but occasionally removing the black areas does work and stops the rot from spreading.

--------------------

Cactus

InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

Re: salvia cultivators - gimme a hand. HELP! [Re: growin]
    #794682 - 08/03/02 06:55 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I usually root my cuttings in a soil/verm/perlite mix(50%-25%-25%)..........also watering with a bit of peroxide water(a 10%solution of 3%h2o2 and h2o) at the first sign of rot seems to help.......but as salvia england said, once the rot sets in too bad the cutting is prolly a goner....

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Salvia, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden