Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemikey
Stranger

salvia
    #2009645 - 10/14/03 08:51 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

what is the best way to take care of a plant you have received through the mail in the first few weeks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: salvia [Re: mikey]
    #2009682 - 10/14/03 09:03 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

From the EG FAQ

I got my salvia cutting now what?

Salvia cuttings are best rooted in plain water or water with some rooting hormone in it. The lowest most leaf node should be exposed and if it isn’t, crack off the leaves on those nodes and scrape the node with your nail, submerge the cutting in the water up to and covering the leaf node. The roots will sprout from there.

After several days root buds should appear, after there is a sufficient amount of root mass, plant in your favorite aerated soil.

What conditions does my salvia like?

- Indirect sunlight

- High RH between 70 – 95% is optimal: Can be grown at lower humidity with acclimatization.

- Acidic or Neutral Soil.

- Miracid is a good feeder.

- Use large pots, with lots of space for the roots.

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: salvia [Re: neuro]
    #2010709 - 10/15/03 03:49 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Salvia cuttings are best rooted in plain water or water with some rooting hormone in it.

Nah, the FAQ is wrong. That's not how cutting propagation is done in the real production hort world which sees in no end of genera sold at garden centers.

Always strike in media, (unless the continued culture is a medialess system).

Striking in water means root shock/damage when put to media. In addition, IBA/NAA isn't necessary to strike S.divinorum. They'll throw adventitious roots as is, they progagate naturally by soil layering. I've tried with rooting hormone and without and there's no difference in strike on healthy stock cuttings.

If you get cuttings in the mail wrapped in damp newspaper and the like, set to media. Don't stress them further with the ineffectual water in a glass thing. Doing sally in water won't thump as fast as media. Tried it.

Quote:

The lowest most leaf node should be exposed and if it isn’t, crack off the leaves on those nodes and scrape the node with your nail, submerge the cutting in the water up to and covering the leaf node. The roots will sprout from there

Wrong again, S.divinorum will strike on internode, same as it will on Hedera, Monsteria and Devils Ivy. That's good news as you can bang out more cuttings on less plant material.

The other part in the FAQ eluding to "air bubble" in the vascular system so you cut under water blah-de-blah, waste of time. Consult gardening books IMO on propagation or a hort college/institute to get the real deal.

In general cutting work, if you've had cuttings docked for 10 minutes plus, just dock off the bottom 5mm to 1cm (use rooting hormone if you need to) then put to media and you won't get the over-rated "air-bubble" tale. Yeah, ok if you have 1 or 2 cuttings to do so you can fart about with under the water games but doing 50+ cuttings bawwaahhhaaaaa.

It should be noted that most soft and in leaf, field cuttings, taken in the hort industry, are done so early morning when transpiration is low and put into a plastic bag with a sprinkling of water and then taken to the glasshouse. There they simply dock off the bottom 5mm to 10mm on the sprigs, dip in rooting hormone and set to media, usually 1 coarse sand, 1 peat and 1 perlite banged out into hundreds of pots with a fogger turned on in a greenhouse so it's 95%+ R/H. Once adventitious roots form, a media and foliage wetting with an electric geyer sprayer delivering nutrients is employed. Cheap on staff rates to do and foliar feeds work in high R/H as stomata is wide open to allow ions entry. Once well rooted, they're potted up individually to tubes.

Note, foliar feeding is done in production hort period. In hardstand set ups, they kick off the irrigation so it raises the ambient humidity and then some under 18yo on kiddie wages sprays 'em, coz it's cheap and it works.

Take a wander up to your local botanical gardens and ask the staff how they do it and if you're nice they'll even give you a tour of their facilities, you'll see what I'm talking about. :smile:

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Invisiblemikey
Stranger

Re: salvia [Re: Starter]
    #2010812 - 10/15/03 05:05 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

thanks for all the info but they were live plants not cutting hehe

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2010823 - 10/15/03 05:19 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

You got them already rooted, that's cool. So get them going and propagate cuttings off them to increase your numbers.

--------------------

Invisiblemikey
Stranger

#2010829 - 10/15/03 05:22 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

how do i keep the live ones alive where should i put them

Invisiblemikey
Stranger

#2010830 - 10/15/03 05:23 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

how often should i water and how much water should i use or should im mist and should i put them with perlite to keep rh up?

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2010837 - 10/15/03 05:29 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Ever grown ferns? Exactly the same cultural conditions. High humidity (so mist regular if it's dry your way). 1/2 strength nutes. Filtered light. Well draining media but keep media moist at least until they get going. Tap water is fine (well mine is). Best too in larger pots as they have a large root mass. So pot them up into 10lt pots at the start. They don't like frost, but mature plants with a big root mass in pots will surive -6C winters if under the eves out of the frost line.

--------------------

Invisiblemikey
Stranger

#2010840 - 10/15/03 05:30 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

what kinda ferts 20-20-20 filtered light what do you mean

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2010850 - 10/15/03 05:42 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Get some premium potting mix (not the cheap stuff) and that will do as the media. Ferts, I suggest you use fish emulsion at half strength. You won't burn them on that. It's an easy fert to use.

Filtered light, basically day light that comes through a window (not direct sun light) or shade on the side of a house, same conditions as rhody and azalea or if there is sun coming in through a window, a set of blinds to reduce the sun glare. I guess you're in the northern hemisphere, if so, then you want north facing position...the position the sun doesn't hit up there.

Have you ever grown ferns or shade loving plants like camelia japonica or helleborus orientalis? Same deal. Sally is an easy plant to grow. Does well as a house plant provided the house is not too dry, that's usually what screws most house plants too. So keep it misted and if that fails, buy a plastic zipper tent for it. They sell at the garden center.

--------------------

Invisiblemikey
Stranger

#2010865 - 10/15/03 05:55 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

k thanks alot

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#2011073 - 10/15/03 09:43 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

>>Nah, the FAQ is wrong. That's not how cutting propagation is done in the real production hort world which sees in no end of genera sold at garden centers.

This is indoors basement/kitchen horticulture.

>>Always strike in media, (unless the continued culture is a medialess system).

This isn't always true... Salvia I've found experiences no difference between rooting in water with air stones/hormones anything or media with some hormone. Plain medium i've found has the worst shock period. In commercial practices where i've was interned years ago we did not always stick cuttings in medium.

>>If you get cuttings in the mail wrapped in damp newspaper and the like, set to media. Don't stress them further with the ineffectual water in a glass thing. Doing sally in water won't thump as fast as media. Tried it.

I send my cuttings wrapped in paper towels or in Rose vials. No problems. Though 'd agree on the newspaper. Newspaper wrapped cuttings should not be exposed to water. They die off quick from disease.

>>Wrong again, S.divinorum will strike on internode, same as it will on Hedera, Monsteria and Devils Ivy. That's good news as you can bang out more cuttings on less plant material.

Salvia_E and I were aware of adventitious budding/rooting of Salvia being quite strong, but we're not writing a FAQ for experienced growers obviously, otherwise there would be no reason to have a FAQ.  The method described above is as generic as it gets and can be applied to many herbs.

>>Consult gardening books IMO on propagation or a hort college/institute to get the real deal.

This is how i did it in college. There is no real reason to cutting it under a bucket of water other than to prevent vapor lock and plasmolyzing.

>>Yeah, ok if you have 1 or 2 cuttings to do so you can fart about with under the water games but doing 50+ cuttings bawwaahhhaaaaa

Who besides you are doing 50+ cuttings. Once again we're speaking for the average propagator of salvia, not the hydroponics cartel.

>>It should be noted that most soft and in leaf, field cuttings, taken in the hort industry, are done so early morning when transpiration is low and put into a plastic bag with a sprinkling of water and then taken to the glasshouse.

Once again, we're writing this FAQ for the average clandestine operator. None of these users here i'd venture to say are running any sort of large scale operation.

Nobody here is in the cultivation industry, they're doing a few plants in their homes. The methods outlined in the FAQ are experience collaborated from various sources and Salvia_England has reduced them down and included many of his own methods for propagation and care for the plants. If you'll do a search for Salvia_England's posts with his Salvia and hundreds of other pictures he's posted one will see he's quite experienced with the methods he's outlined for the Salvia portion of the FAQ.

I can't stress enough that the FAQ was not written as a professional guide, if it were I would have written it myself and published it hardbound and sold it at Amazon.  The methods that are outlined in the FAQ are written as an easy-enough with best results possible such that anyone can do them with even the most limited of resources.

We can't all have expensive hydroponics systems  :wink:

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2011400 - 10/15/03 01:44 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

>>>This is indoors basement/kitchen horticulture.

That perception makes it sound mysteriously hard. There's no spin needed. You see, much of the drama folks suffer is a lack of basic hort by lack of practice in licit growing. If they did they'd be cheering on all their favs. Gardening is gardening and open to all.

>>>This isn't always true... Salvia I've found experiences no difference between rooting in water with air stones/hormones anything or media with some hormone. Plain medium i've found has the worst shock period. In commercial practices where i've was interned years ago we did not always stick cuttings in medium.

Yet you end up planting to media, so why the time invested in an unnecessary step? Unless they're needed as water cuttings to furnish medialess aeroponics and collared NFT channels for those hydroponics cartels?

>>>I send my cuttings wrapped in paper towels or in Rose vials. No problems. Though 'd agree on the newspaper. Newspaper wrapped cuttings should not be exposed to water. They die off quick from disease.

Use sphagnum moss to wrap cuttings, it reduces disease in transit. They arrive in more health.

>>>Salvia_E and I were aware of adventitious budding/rooting of Salvia being quite strong, but we're not writing a FAQ for experienced growers obviously, otherwise there would be no reason to have a FAQ. The method described above is as generic as it gets and can be applied to many herbs.

Sure the method given is generic and can be applied to many herbs, but salvia allows internode cuttings so people can get more mileage out of their lanky stock plants which do well with a good hack down...if they knew.

>>>This is how i did it in college. There is no real reason to cutting it under a bucket of water other than to prevent vapor lock and plasmolyzing.

It's going to media, again why the extra step? A step that can see mechanical damage on newly formed roots when transplanted to media by the novice. Direct to media is quick, easy and effective. Just what the newbie needs.

>>>Who besides you are doing 50+ cuttings. Once again we're speaking for the average propagator of salvia, not the hydroponics cartel.

I'll do 50+ cuttings on licit genera i.e. lavender for low water use feature bed planting or buxus for a parterre border or photinia for a boundary hedge. I see nothing cartel in that. Point is, taking 50+ is common on legal genera and many ordinary folks do. Do you?

>>>Once again, we're writing this FAQ for the average clandestine operator. None of these users here i'd venture to say are running any sort of large scale operation.

Given sally is still legal in the US and most folks on the shroomery are from the states, then why do you perceive it as clandestine and venture too that they don't grow large scale? You mean to tell me a licit gardened yard that holds hundreds of plants of dozens of genera from rhizome divided iris to asexual media striked choisia (to make a hedge) doesn't qualify?

Gardening is gardening, clandestine or not. Just keep it simple, it works. 

Thanks for your time. :smile: 

--------------------

OfflineSuby
Deadly ViperAssassinationSquad
 User Gallery

Loc: I'm over here now.
    #2012335 - 10/15/03 06:16 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

if you want lots of growth shoots, increase the lighting the plant gets,such as a unabstructed south facing window. for larger leaves decrease light, like under your ficus or north side window.

sally isn't that hard to care for with some practice, cut a 2L soda bottle in half for a cheap tent to add humidity for the first few days/week slowly giving her less an' less time. she'll get real lanky before you have to fertilize, which you shouldn't worry about for awhile w/ a good soil.

as for starter's striking method.....goin' right to soil may work for you and cuttings w/out nodes suck, but the best results my phonicx monkey has seen is; to let her root in water 'till ya see 1/4" roots then go into media. unless you have tons of time to watch over her or a neat-o hydro sys??

--------------------
"Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff."
Steven Wright.

Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

"I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets."

Invisiblemikey
Stranger

Re: salvia [Re: Suby]
    #2012663 - 10/15/03 07:51 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

so basically if i put a 2 liter over em in northern or southern window theyll be fine but how many time do i msit water a day?

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2014103 - 10/16/03 09:30 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

>>>if you want lots of growth shoots, increase the lighting the plant gets,such as a unabstructed south facing window. for larger leaves decrease light, like under your ficus or north side window.

I assume you've directed this at me? Is so, well yes, if you're in the northern hemisphere.

And as for light, yes I'm aware of what sally will do under HID, fluro, indoors-ambient-daylight and full outdoors too -- the latter I prefer if I can get away with it. Aussie sun my way however is an instant no-no. The intensity will crucify it, even winter sun is too strong as foliage bleaches.

>>>sally isn't that hard to care for with some practice, cut a 2L soda bottle in half for a cheap tent to add humidity for the first few days/week slowly giving her less an' less time. she'll get real lanky before you have to fertilize, which you shouldn't worry about for awhile w/ a good soil.

2lt soft drink bottles are common for use as "on-bed-terrariums" for cutting/seedling raising in a semi-shaded aspect. Though sally will quickly out grow a half 2lt bottle. While a $15 AUD zipper tent at a garden center will see it through to full size with room for another five x 10lt potted specimens. Many houses are often too dry, esp. with winter heating. Conversely in summer with air-cond. AUD is about 69 cents USD.

>>>as for starter's striking method.....goin' right to soil may work for you

It works on general basic gardening and this point was obviously missed.

>>>and cuttings w/out nodes suck,

Excuse me, I have currently (on count) 54 sally cuttings, most are internode strikes in media and all retaining turgidity, as per made a week ago with no IBA/NAA. I will have my digital back (I hope) at the end of this month and I will upload some pics.

>>>but the best results my phonicx monkey has seen is; to let her root in water 'till ya see 1/4" roots then go into media. unless you have tons of time to watch over her or a neat-o hydro sys??

Hydro is cheap to even free to set up and only ignorance would suggest otherwise. For example, passive hydro has no moving/electrical parts. Do some research.

Besides, standard media gardening entailing cutting propagation is even managed by dotty old grannies who pot up what they have in cat food cans with a few holes in the bottom and away they go, be it cuttings of hydrangea, japanese wind anemone, dahlia, antirrhinum ect. Some of these old ducks even subsidise their pension selling them. I'm not here to obfuscate, merely keep it simple.

If you like to initiate your cuttings in water and only with nodes, all the more power to you.

Good going with your project Mikey. You won't need to mist in a terrarium, it will have enough ambient R/H from the evaprotranspiration.

--------------------

Invisiblemikey
Stranger

#2014922 - 10/16/03 02:24 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

so how mayn times should i water a week and should i put it in south or northern window and should 2 liter have holes in it?

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#2015173 - 10/16/03 03:28 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

>>>This is indoors basement/kitchen horticulture.

That perception makes it sound mysteriously hard. There's no spin needed. You see, much of the drama folks suffer is a lack of basic hort by lack of practice in licit growing. If they did they'd be cheering on all their favs. Gardening is gardening and open to all.

Clandestine is not meant to be mean hard or mysterious, the word's meaning involves secrecy and small scale. My usage in this sense means more small than secret though a few here keep it secret too.
Many people here just use what they got, do a search for the word coke bottle and you'll see.

>>Yet you end up planting to media, so why the time invested in an unnecessary step?

I don't get involved in this extra step. For rooting cuttings i usually just dip and stick(in flats) in a dry medium and place them under periodic misters. Occasionally i use water to root cuttings. The FAQ was written to include water striking instead of direct media transfer because this is how most are used to seeing it on the internet. It's a general consensus so to speak. Plus many who are growing salvia are not that knowledgable about plant science and general horitcultural practices, so allowing them to see the roots strike and planting them with roots -(which then requires some care but isn't that hard to do at all to avoid damaging the new roots on sticking) - allows them to see the process and learn a thing or two.

>>Use sphagnum moss to wrap cuttings, it reduces disease in transit. They arrive in more health.

I would think it would weigh more costing more money in shipping. If it doesn't then i'd consider it. But wrapping them in damp paper towels hasn't failed yet, my cuttings arrive in impecable health so i've been told.

>>Sure the method given is generic and can be applied to many herbs, but salvia allows internode cuttings so people can get more mileage out of their lanky stock plants which do well with a good hack down...if they knew.

Have you seen the amount of posts on this board regarding salvia? Some people need all the help they can get when they're trying to root cuttings, and would be weary of using smaller cuttings. I suggest for the new grower to use a meaty sized cutting to try to root.

>>It's going to media, again why the extra step? A step that can see mechanical damage on newly formed roots when transplanted to media by the novice. Direct to media is quick, easy and effective. Just what the newbie needs.

The water rooting method is preferred, it might be a step extra or two, but atleast the novice grower knows that there's roots and they can see and learn, and once again this is the consensus they'll find ont he net. I stick my salvia 70% of the time, other times i just drop in water, both are effective and one involves and extra step. It's not that hard to be delicate with a bareroot plant.

Making a cutting under water is only effective if you're gonna root it in water too.

>>I'll do 50+ cuttings on licit genera i.e. lavender for low water use feature bed planting or buxus for a parterre border or photinia for a boundary hedge. I see nothing cartel in that. Point is, taking 50+ is common on legal genera and many ordinary folks do. Do you?

I do not take 50+ cuttings of any one genera and certainly do not take or care for 50+ cuttings at a time of a mix of species. And i bet 99% here too do not routine if ever have managed more than 20 cutings at a time and that's probably pushing it for the majority of that percentage. When i'm managing my herb garden i'll take cuttings for safe keeping of the winter, but never do I have 50 at a time, whatever i don't need i give away or compost.

I've come to find out last night that a few vendors root their salvia cuttings in perlite 50 at a time.

>>Given sally is still legal in the US and most folks on the shroomery are from the states, then why do you perceive it as clandestine and venture too that they don't grow large scale? You mean to tell me a licit gardened yard that holds hundreds of plants of dozens of genera from rhizome divided iris to asexual media striked choisia (to make a hedge) doesn't qualify?

Yes this is gardening, and again see my comments on clandestine. I challenge you to find out what the posters of this BB are growing. It's small scale. You are the first person i've seen come here and grow that much salvia with so much machinery. Most here have a few salvia plants usually no more than 10 at the absolute most if even 5. Gardening is Gardening but how many here are actual avid gardeners or landscapers? Most here started off growing only entheogens and then their interests spread. The FAQ is intended for someone who asks the usual questions and thus isn't as familiarized with horticulture and probably doesn't grow or hasn't ever grown anything except their new salvia. You're making some assumptions that everyone here all maintain outdoor gardens and make their own hedges or juniper ground covers or keeps a nursery stock of plants when they don't.

The information in the FAQ works for those who are not in the know, once they have that down and are so inclined they can learn other stuff and leave the FAQ behind, and i hope they do. The information in the FAQ seems to be the best approach to showing those are do not know the intracacies of horticulture and perhaps have no experience what so ever.

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
    #2015388 - 10/16/03 04:19 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Do any of you have tips on ways to make your rooted cuttings less susceptible to shock before you ship them?

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2017040 - 10/17/03 02:27 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

>>>Have you seen the amount of posts on this board regarding salvia? Some people need all the help they can get when they're trying to root cuttings, and would be weary of using smaller cuttings. I suggest for the new grower to use a meaty sized cutting to try to root.

So the FAQ isn't working? :smirk:

>>>You are the first person i've seen come here and grow that much salvia with so much machinery.

What, a single shown crate with sally cuttings, gimme a break.

Quote:

mr_minds_eye said:
Do any of you have tips on ways to make your rooted cuttings less susceptible to shock before you ship them? 

Give me 24 more hours so I can get another 400 kb's and I will, in theme to "neuro's clandestine, secret & small scale wishes", give just a solution. I'll make a thread this time tomorrow. It will lend to many genera (inc. sally) to send rooted, without root shock, can be kicked like a football in finished item & arrive in perfect state. :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2017084 - 10/17/03 02:49 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

mikey said:
so how mayn times should i water a week and should i put it in south or northern window and should 2 liter have holes in it?

As I said, if you use preemo potting mix it will drain well, so just keep it moist until establishment and then the frequency of watering can be reduced, so the top 2 to 3cm of media surface is dry between waterings. Furthermore, such media will have sufficient nutes to carry it to establishment. Just don't buy cheap potting media. In time, you will make your own blends. Cross that bridge when it comes.

Light, if you were in Oz, you'd kill it in on the north facing window as sun (my way) is too intense.

In all honesty, I can't comment on what your sun/conditions are like, since I'm not in the USA. I would hazard a guess a north window, as you are in the northern hemisphere, thus that would be my choice, as it will only be daylight, not sun. It's the opposite here, as is the case of water draining down a plug hole and the moon being upside down to how you see it.

Watering, in average room temp conditions of a house, that's a watering every 3 to 7 days to keep the media moist. If you can grow african violets in your house, with no special modifications (like a zipper tent & the like), then salvia will grow without suffering to the low R/H -- often the case in human dwellings. Salvia, like many house plants, do best at 70%+ R/H, since tropical plants (on the whole) consititute most house plant genera because of the lower light conditions in people's houses.

However, people generally perfer to live in a drier 40 to 50% R/H and find that comfortable. My house is always under 50% R/H, unless it's pissing rain outside. I live in a dry climate. Dry climates are typical of much of Australia. So, if you have a high R/H by virtue of your particular climate, then you'll be cheering on your sally.

The 2lt bottle, I've always used them on indoor plants with the cap half end with cap off.

--------------------

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#2017450 - 10/17/03 08:17 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

>>So the FAQ isn't working?

Hah! Good one.  :thumbup:. But I was referring to the amount of posts that came before the FAQ was put up. I've actually seen a decline in the amount of redundant simple questions since the FAQ has first appeared. However it's quite hard for people to learn to do a quick search or read some stickied documents before making some simple posts (check out ODD for that one), so it'll never totally remedy everything.

>>What, a single shown crate with sally cuttings, gimme a break.

Seriously, nobody here has provided any pictures of that much salvia with that much care given to them, crate with hydroponics system and a domed light. Of course i've seen bigger names with a lot more salvia but they were caring for that many for a reason, avid trader or supplier to vendor or vendor themselves. No private people however with that much salvia.

OfflineRemut
Green Thumb
    #2018534 - 10/17/03 05:25 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

Transpiration happens at the stomata why the leaf is cut in half and the lager ones were removed to lessen the sudden loss of h2o in the newly removed bio-mass. When the cutting was taken it has a hard time taking up h2o, no roots.
SO to get pass this you need high humity so the leafs can take up h2o in the air.

But when the plant has been in a high humitity enviroment the stomata stays open and loose the abaility to close fully and the plant wilts, dieing ends and a unhealthy plant. What i did was harden the plant over 4-5 weeks(i got lots of time) to get use to the "hostile" emviroment of your house.

I got a few plants under fluros(added one about a month ago) and the leafs have gotten noticabley thicker, shorter internodes, leafs or stems on every node, 2-6 "limbs" per plant, and bumpier leafs.
Most of the plants aroun 1-2 inchs away from the light 60+ humiity temps at 60-70 maby more.

Hope that helps. When i was reading the FAQ i found the answers ok but no great i needed to know more in depth answers.

--------------------
DO what I Would

Invisiblemikey
Stranger

Re: salvia [Re: Remut]
    #2018583 - 10/17/03 05:47 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

ah thanks alot how many watts per plant do you reccomend also what is the lowest temp for them thanks alot

OfflineRemut
Green Thumb
    #2018685 - 10/17/03 06:28 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

8 watts per plant is what i got. But that does not sound right does it? 20 sum plants under 160 watts some plants are shorter some are very close to the light. But most of them are in 4 inch pots.
lowers temps inside are about 50-55 but this year is the frist time with so many plants and a new light set up. Im very sure the temp wont go to dangerous lows

look here its my setup

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...;o=&fpart=1

--------------------
DO what I Would

Edited by Remut (10/17/03 06:35 PM)

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2019855 - 10/18/03 03:27 AM (20 years, 5 months ago)

>>> However it's quite hard for people to learn to do a quick search or read some stickied documents before making some simple posts (check out ODD for that one), so it'll never totally remedy everything.

In a former cyber existance, I know that all too well *sigh*.

>>>Seriously, nobody here has provided any pictures of that much salvia with that much care given to them, crate with hydroponics system and a domed light. Of course i've seen bigger names with a lot more salvia but they were caring for that many for a reason, avid trader or supplier to vendor or vendor themselves. No private people however with that much salvia.

Here's my motive and based on a very different paradigm.
The laws in Australia blow on sally. It's illegal here and the only hope there is of keeping it in Aussie circulation -- since customs/AQIS will jump on any specimens that enter the country along with draconian measures against those silly enough to try -- is by continued Aussie propagation. I give them out for free, because the only hope sally has in Oz is now reliant on Aussie custodians to keep it propagated.

Furthermore, rockwool (grow flock) media striked sally will lend to soil bedding, hydro or soiless growing, making it idiot proof for the recipient to achieve success at the jump. It is the universal media and is ideal for postal transit without root shock. It stays intact.

mr_minds_eye, as said I uploaded a thread which will lend to your use. Only 1 picture missing, run out of kb's for 24hrs.

--------------------

Invisiblemikey
Stranger

#2023099 - 10/19/03 04:22 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

how dry should your salvia soil be before you water again

Invisiblemikey
Stranger

#2023102 - 10/19/03 04:23 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

i stuck finger in and it was barely damp and are salvia leaves naturally droopy or they perky?

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2024195 - 10/19/03 11:24 PM (20 years, 5 months ago)

I've answered the watering/soil caper in this thread already.

Sally should be turgid (perky), not wilted (droopy).

--------------------

OfflineSuby
Deadly ViperAssassinationSquad
 User Gallery

Loc: I'm over here now.
    #2029493 - 10/21/03 04:46 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

mikey said:

Water about 2x a week, or when the leaves wilt a little. let the soil dry out between waterings.

south window for northern hemisphere.

no holes. just ween sally off the bottle after a few days or weeks even. adding more time with it off more and more.
by then you shouldn't need tents or misting unless you live where kangaroos are your only friends.

--------------------
"Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff."
Steven Wright.

Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

"I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets."

Invisiblemikey
Stranger

Re: salvia [Re: Suby]
    #2029499 - 10/21/03 04:47 PM (20 years, 4 months ago)

ah thanks i have taken the bottle off but the big plants looks like shit its all droopy i just watered i hope it picks up

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies