I've been reading a book by Joseph Campbell, who was the leading comparative mythologist (deceased), called The Hero with a Thousand Faces. It's basically about how all mythology (including religion) has told the same tale over and over, despite the difference in culture and details. It's the tale of the Hero's Journey with the hero being the archetype for the spiritual journey of every being. It's completely profound and blowing my mind. I've found it to follow "my story" so far, and I can't wait for it to surpass mine. Maybe it'll be a road map for the future for me. Anyways...
The book has me thinking. It's been talking about Goddess worship, Gaia, Mother Earth, Hindu deva like Kali and Durga, Quan Yin, Mother Mary, etc. The female deities and superbeings. It spoke about a stage of separation from the mother/world (the womb, the only world you know at the time) and then mastery of the world (overcoming, becoming one with the world/mother through transcendental experiences). Then it talks of a stage he calls "Atonement with the Father" which again is about reconciliation of fears and anxieties, and becoming one (at-one-ment) with the Father. Where as the mother represents the physical world, the father represents the abstract and metaphysical realms; the oversoul, etc.
He continues in both chapters to discuss the percieved traits of the Mother or Father (Freud nailed this, too). The mother's love is kind, forgiving, and accepting. The father's love is a love that must be earned through trials, tests, hardships, suffering, etc. Once both are realized/attained, then the Hero finally understands that they were both two aspects of the same thing, and must eventually realize that that thing is himself.
Many of us have had overbearing, authoritative father's, who couldn't make themselves vulnerable enough to show you they cared. I never could be good enough, regardless of what his word's said. He handed out punishments and rewards. He regulated the aspects of my youth. Myself, as with all of us, learn to project these attributes onto "God" the father. We take these laws and guidelines of our childhood and assimilate them into an oversoul, or conscience. It directs us to feel guilty, pity, etc. But universally and usually this is only one side of the parental unit. Many of us in the western civilizations forget about the Mother.
This book helped me realize how much I was projecting onto my ideas of God, and how much my higher functionings were programmed to emulate my earthly father. I decided, to help break this "habit", that I'd choose to project Motherly attributes instead. You are going to have some form of idea, so it might as well be a nicer and more friendly one.
In the past week, I've begun to understand what Krishna Das is referring to when he sings "Everywhere I turn, you kiss my face." It's beautiful. It's like a giant hug. It feels warm. These words aren't doing it justice. It's ineffable. When I say "God," I don't mean some being somewhere. I don't mean a void, or a even non-being. I mean beyond that, beyond the duality of anything. It used to freak me out and scare me. I am still frightened of the mystery. But it's not so threatening anymore. It's almost welcoming.
What all of this boils down to is not some metaphysical, spiritual stuff. To take the reductionist path, it's all about the cognitive framework I was holding. This can be applied to any aspects of our lives. There's a lot going on with our thoughts that we don't even realize. But to step above it for one moment allows you to gain the perspective needed.
What methods have you found that act as a stepping stool to allow you to see beyond the limits of the mind you are conditioned with? (Maybe this is a fitting definition for all of the "what is enlightenment?" threads... it's the ultimate step-stool for seeing it all).
--------------------
Loving in truth, and fain in verse my love to show, That the dear She might take some pleasure of my pain: Pleasure might cause her read, reading might make her know, Knowledge might pity win, and pity grace obtain.
|