Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinestcore
Stranger
Does mycelium HAVE TO die?
    #785329 - 07/30/02 12:01 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hypothetically, assuming a fruiting body of mycelium, somehow, never ran out water, nutrients, and always had perfect humidity, temperature, and sunlight amounts, would the mycelium still eventually "die?"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
Re: Does mycelium HAVE TO die? [Re: stcore]
    #785339 - 07/30/02 12:07 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Everything dies . A casing casing or such can be babied for a longer life span, but I think exhaustion will always take its toll on a casing which is spent of nutrients.

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

OfflineZEPH

Loc: Up
    #785342 - 07/30/02 12:18 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

true pleezer but would if more nutrients where added....ie spent cakes brokin up put in dung cassing which im hopping to do really soon..some mycliem grows for yeaars like the fairy ring shroom with a mycllial mass for miles where reported ...i think it really depends man but yeah everthing dies somtime is obvious though..

Offlinepleezr
fuct

Loc: NW
Re: Does mycelium HAVE TO die? [Re: ZEPH]
    #785370 - 07/30/02 12:54 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I dunno, that is a good question. I am sure it has been tryed many times before. I wonder if the mycelium network itself is tired....

If this were achievable, I would imagine injecting BRF, rye, or dung juice in a casing/cake would revive it...?

--------------------
pleezr

"Tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!"

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
    #785385 - 07/30/02 01:15 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Genetics eventually become the issue....just like in cell divison in humans.

-psyconaut

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

Offlinekykeon
Dead wishes

Loc: A universe right next to ...
    #785405 - 07/30/02 01:48 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well your question is weird as far as i can comprehend your writings. You begin asking about the fruiting body and end up with a question about the mycelium. Fruitbodies are totally another thing than Mycelium. The first is a fruit while the second is a creature.

In nature, the mycelium of shrooms like cubensis lives UNDER surface. It stays there alive as long as nutrients exist and noone harms it. When the time is right, the mycelium produces a fruitbody ONLY to send its spores. After this job is done, the fruitbody is completely useless to the mycelium, so it just stop giving valuable nutrients to it, so it forgets about it and the fruitbody is going for recycling. Of course, the mycelium NEEDS desperately this whole thing to last as little as possible, because under soil its hidden, but the fruitbodies are spotting their place... so after the job is done, the fruitbodies HAVE TO get out of the way, so as the mycelium is safe again.

The mycelium still continues to live there healthy, as long there is food and favorable climate conditions. When the time will be right again, another fruitbody is produced. And so on.

Fruitbodies is like what the word says: Fruit-Bodies. So, you cant expect an apple on an appletree never to rot and fall. The apple tree can live for years and years and years but apples dont live at all - they are just fruits that as long as the living creature gives them nutrients, they dont rot.

Generally speaking, 5 years is an average life-time for myceliums. Of course some species live longer and some shorter. If cultivated, the life-time depends on HOW it is cultivated. As an example, if you cultivate Lentinula Edodes in your premises, it wont last long. But if you cultivate it professionally, creating logs etc, its a different thing. Fully innoculated logs will fruit 3 times a year for a period of 5 years. So in fact, everything ages and become older and older and older in nature and then eventually die, but if your mycelium was grown on a handfull of rye berries, you cant expect it to be alive and fruiting for years. But if you cultivate the mycelium on straw and compost and place it somewhere outside and keep from time to time to feed it with fresh compost and straw, you can have shroomies for some years...

Hope i helped somehow

PEACE

Kykeon
athens, greece

--------------------
The living ghost of Kykeon

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #785427 - 07/30/02 02:20 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Look up Moe's outdoor tek. You could do that then add more shit 1-2 times a year.

It should last for many many years.

--------------------

OfflineGreyMatter
enthusiast

Loc: USA
Re: Does mycelium HAVE TO die? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #785450 - 07/30/02 03:03 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I believe it would need to migrate elsewhere to survive. Even if it was constantly fed nutrients it would need a new 'body'. Just like you can keep feediing humans and giving them medicine, sometimes you just need a transplant. In this case, an entire body transplant. A casing would probably not last as long as outside because it has no where to go. Outside the mycelium can die, combine with the dirt, and the dead stuff will be absorbed along with rain further into the ground since it does not have attatchments to the healthy mycelium anylonger. Or possibly the dying mycelium would serve as food to the other mycelium that needs it and then leave room for the network to grow again. Just a thought!

OfflineCaliChronic
Loc: Gulf Coast, USA
    #786033 - 07/30/02 11:26 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

another important factor is that the potency does decrease as the length of time growing increases.

--------------------
overgrow

Offlinedanelectro
Disenfranchised

Loc: Left of Oblivion
Re: Does mycelium HAVE TO die? [Re: CaliChronic]
    #786048 - 07/30/02 11:30 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well as far as we have studied them, Echinoderms like starfish don't die of age, so who is to say that everything ages. For all we know, simple organisms may have the ability to have eternal life, perhaps the more advanced the organism, the bigger strain of systems, and the eventual shut down of neccassary systems to life.

--------------------
We should really love each other, in peace and harmony. Instead we're fussing and fighting, like we ain't supposed to be.-Bob Marley
The people, the still sleeping mass which it was necessary to mobilize and its vanguard, the guerrillas.
-Che

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation