Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

What causes mycelium to die?
    #339342 - 06/12/01 07:11 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I am having a problem with one of my jars and I am not quite sure what is going on. Pint jar...BRF/Verm...cambodian

Here's what is going on:

My mycelium starts to grow a couple little dime sized patches. It looks nice and healthy and very white...fluffy not rhizmorphic but then it usually is when it just starts out.

After a day or so It starts to change colors very slightly and shrink. It sort of becomes an off-white color I guess. How I mean shrink is not that just the spot becomes smaller but it shrinks more in a way that if you compare a raisan to a grape. It kind of shrivels up almost I guess.

The thing is though is that from that spot it starts to develop next to it brand new heathly lovely mycelium. Then this starts to do the same thing.

To me it seems like my mycelium is dying out.

If it is something else please let me know. If it is indeed mycelium dying then what would be all the possible causes of the mycelium dying?

I doubt it is a contam....I did a ton of other jars at the same time...only one of which has developed a contam and that one had the lid fall off after I innoculated it cause I tried to make it too loose.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated....I am not really very concerned with loosing the jar....more with knowing what is going on for future jars.

Thanks,

Karen

*MAKE THE SHROOMERY A BETTER PLACE!*
Visit the suggestion forum & be active in ALL aspects of the community!
When you are done go visit the FSR!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedmb420

Re: What causes mycelium to die? [Re: Karen]
    #339345 - 06/12/01 07:15 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Are you using rice with any preservatives?

He who stands on toilet gets high on pot.
Support the FSR!

--------------------
He who stands on toilet gets high on pot.
Support the FSR!

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: What causes mycelium to die? [Re: dmb420]
    #339363 - 06/12/01 07:35 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Not that I am aware of....

If it was that though....wouldnt it affect all the jars and not just this one?

Offlineegolesss
veteran
    #339366 - 06/12/01 07:37 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like it may be running out of water....

Going crazy will drive you mad, but once you get there the rest is easy.....

--------------------
Going crazy will drive you mad, but once you get there the rest is easy....All spores are not created equal!!!!!!!!!!! Sporeworks, Hawkseye, PF, they are completely viable with very strong genetics.

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: What causes mycelium to die? [Re: egolesss]
    #339382 - 06/12/01 08:11 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

the water content appears fine though...the jar doesnt look any different than the others which most are around 100% after about 10 days....its now the 12 day...that seems pretty quick to run out of water doesnt it??

I can see some moisture inside the jars it really looks pretty normal that way...

the reason why I am so curious is other then the mycelium doing wierd things the jar looks and smells perfectly normal

Karen

InvisibleBrownPastures
old hand

Loc: here
    #339386 - 06/12/01 08:14 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

you might be too dry in the substrate department. or it might just be a contaminant (you never know)... monkeys around here have seen something similar to this but it was from TOO MUCH water... i dont know if you have the same problem since i cant see your substrate.. you say all of your other jars ,which i assume have the same substrate and were sterilized at the same time, are doing nicely. so all signs point to contamination. peace

"slutguts" - auto59009
Drool Donkey Island

Offlineegolesss
veteran
Re: What causes mycelium to die? [Re: BrownPastures]
    #339413 - 06/12/01 08:36 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

It really is hard to tell, as the person above said too much water can stall out jars too. Also not all contams have a smell. Post this in advanced maybe someone can help, if you find out anything please post it here...you got me curious...

Going crazy will drive you mad, but once you get there the rest is easy.....

--------------------
Going crazy will drive you mad, but once you get there the rest is easy....All spores are not created equal!!!!!!!!!!! Sporeworks, Hawkseye, PF, they are completely viable with very strong genetics.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags