Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinezigzag
Eating Wolf Pussy

Loc: The Mortuary Flag
why clone the biggest fruit?
    #7793936 - 12/23/07 09:52 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

while browsing around I've noticed that alot of guys that clone or take prints of certain fruits, seem to use the largest fruit that grows. it also seems that these large fruits come from later or last flushes. keep in mind that i may be completely wrong about this(just an observation).

what I'm wondering is, what's the fascination with large fruits?, especially if they come from later flushes. the size of fruits in later flushes seems to correspond to fewer fruits per flush and diminishing nutrients. it's like the mycelium knows when it's about to be spent, and concentrates its' energies into producing one or two large viable fruits to ensure survival, rather than numerous small, malnourished, non viable fruits.

just because the fruits are large doesn't mean that they're the cream of the crop. they seem like they're a last ditch, dying effort fruit. wouldn't a more hearty, average sized, possibly clumped fruit or fruits be a better choice for cloning?

like i said, i may be totally wrong on this, it just seems I've come across that pretty frequently.

--------------------
.....just shuckin' and jivin' with my extremely large penis!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineelcharrosays
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: south east
Re: why clone the biggest fruit? [Re: zigzag]
    #7793970 - 12/23/07 10:03 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

the point of cloning the largest fruit out of any flush is to produce an entire flush of that one large fruit not just recreate that same low yielding flush that it came from. and its not always the largest that gets chosen people just have an affinity for giant mushrooms. i mean shit, they are gorgeous. but all theyre looking for is the mushroom with the most desirable traits whether that be speed of growth girth height or just overall appearance.

--------------------

Offlinezigzag
Eating Wolf Pussy

Re: why clone the biggest fruit? [Re: elcharrosays]
    #7793994 - 12/23/07 10:10 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

i agree with that, it just seemed like everyone wants the big fruits. big fruits don't mean they're the strongest though.

--------------------

Offlineewikk055
token lurker.
Male

#7794030 - 12/23/07 10:20 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

same active chemical per gram that the other smaller fruits would have in theory.

--------------------
whatever you interpret from my posts may/may not be fictional.

Offlineelcharrosays
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7794036 - 12/23/07 10:21 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

but who just wants a bunch of tiny little mushies when you could have giants? the bigger ones add more to the over all yield and thats what people are after.

--------------------

InvisiblePremedman1
Assistant to the insistent
 User Gallery

Loc: South of Sanity
Trusted Cultivator
    #7794045 - 12/23/07 10:22 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

elcharrosays said:
the bigger ones add more to the over all yield and thats what people are after.

No.

--------------------
Build a man a fire, he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offlineelcharrosays
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: why clone the biggest fruit? [Re: Premedman1]
    #7794065 - 12/23/07 10:29 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

im sorry, big mushrooms dont weigh more than smaller ones?

--------------------

InvisiblePremedman1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #7794086 - 12/23/07 10:36 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Funny. :lol:

Yes, larger mushrooms do weigh more than small ones.
When it comes to fruit size, there's more involved.

The original poster was right when he said that more fruits equals smaller fruits. These huge honkers you see are usually the result of a poor pinset, or later flushes, resulting in a lesser number of carpophores.

I think Agar said it best when he compared the size of your fruits in relation to substrate production to a calf suckling on a mother cow. The more calves she had, the more mouths to feed. She only has so much milk to give, therefore she will fatten one calf much more than she will fatten five.

--------------------
Build a man a fire, he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

Offlineelcharrosays
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#7794321 - 12/23/07 11:47 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

obviously there can only be growth as long as there are nutrients to provide it but my point was through using cloning you can grow the same number of mushrooms only theyll all be larger/weigh more/yield more.

--------------------

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: no clue
    #7794359 - 12/24/07 12:01 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

It's best to clone/select the healthiest most rhizomorphic myc, not the biggest mushroom.

The healthiest rhizo myc gives the best pinset.
noobs clone for size.

InvisiblePremedman1
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: why clone the biggest fruit? [Re: jeetered]
    #7794363 - 12/24/07 12:02 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Welcome back.:awesome:

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #7794862 - 12/24/07 07:28 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Often, the reason later flushes produce only a few larger fruits is because the pinning surface has been torn up by previous picking, and the few remaining spots to pin from are all that's left. . .thus larger fruits form. Cloning these does not insure you'll get large fruits next time.

That said, large fruits are not desirable. Smaller fruits have more active product per gram than larger ones, so try to produce larger flushes of smaller fruits. When cloning, select a young, rapidly growing fruit for best results. You want a fruit that is rapidly dividing cells, so it will take off quickly on agar. I prefer to clone from clusters, because they'll tend to produce clusters on future flushes, giving the volume desired, but with smaller and more desirable fruits.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineanarchOi
Ellenalien is fat.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ASE Flag
Re: why clone the biggest fruit? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7795073 - 12/24/07 09:40 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

the reason for using a large fruit to take a print is obvious

bigger cap, bigger print, more spores.

the reason i usually clone the largest fruit is simply, have you ever tried taking a biopsy from one of the little ones?..

i prefer to clone large fruits in a heavy pinset but when using cakes to get your clone, you don't always get heavy pinsets

not to mention, some of us are novelty growers
we just like to grow huge mushrooms and go "WOW!" :mushroom2:
those of us who really consider it a hobby anyway

--------------------

Offlinezigzag
Eating Wolf Pussy

Re: why clone the biggest fruit? [Re: anarchOi]
    #7795425 - 12/24/07 12:11 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

all good points, i guess it depends on what your after. don't get me wrong, i think it'd be cool to grow giant mushrooms. i was a little confused because it seemed like the idea was if you clone a huge fruit you'll get huge fruits from the next batch. it just didn't sound right to me... RR had a good point about the surface damage, it makes sense why in later flushes you would get large fuits cause the nutes have only a few places to go.

--------------------

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
    #7796180 - 12/24/07 04:52 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Big fruits are nothing but lots of water. I actually encouage large mushrooms by using a more airy casing ie. 50/50 verm and perlite encouraging less pins. As in this pic

And the same strain with a 50/50 verm and peat casing

Less pins with more water and more air equals bigger fruits.

More pins with a more closed, less airy, moist casing equals more fruits and larger yeild.

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
    #7796252 - 12/24/07 05:26 PM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

anarchOi said:

the reason i usually clone the largest fruit is simply, have you ever tried taking a biopsy from one of the little ones?..

i prefer to clone large fruits in a heavy pinset but when using cakes to get your clone, you don't always get heavy pinsets

LOL!  That answer reminds me of the time I asked my doctor "why do I have to turn my head to the left when I cough?"  (He was conducting a physical and it was time for the hernia test),  He looked at me a little bewildered and said, "ummmmmm.... SO YOU WON'T COUGH ON ME!"
I felt so stupid!  All those years of playing sports and having to take physicals, I thought there was some biological reason why I had to turn my head left.  The answer was so obvious, yet I thought it had to be much more than that.  Still chuckle about it when I think of it.

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

OfflineanarchOi
Ellenalien is fat.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ASE Flag
Re: why clone the biggest fruit? [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #7797269 - 12/25/07 01:44 AM (16 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

The shroomy 1 said:
Quote:

anarchOi said:

LOL!  That answer reminds me of the time I asked my doctor "why do I have to turn my head to the left when I cough?"  (He was conducting a physical and it was time for the hernia test),  He looked at me a little bewildered and said, "ummmmmm.... SO YOU WON'T COUGH ON ME!"
I felt so stupid!  All those years of playing sports and having to take physicals, I thought there was some biological reason why I had to turn my head left.  The answer was so obvious, yet I thought it had to be much more than that.  Still chuckle about it when I think of it.

lmao
that's great man
i just wonder if a left handed doctor has your turn your head to the right? xD

--------------------

OfflineAlphanautics
Goonmaster
Male

#7825989 - 01/02/08 11:55 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Interesting RR, so youre saying the specific phenotype expression of the fruits coming from a cluster will be more likely to form clusters in future generations?? In other words, the likliehood that clusters would form is largely genetic?

--------------------
Word em up

InvisibleGlacier Creek
The Chef
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: why clone the biggest fruit? [Re: Alphanautics]
    #7826140 - 01/03/08 12:57 AM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Although this could be a totally random observation, I have noticed that the batch of lc made from a clone of the very first pin that shot up on a very large casing, that was almost perfectly cased, and patched, yeilded some extremely fast fruiting pinsets thereafter.

This pin shot so far ahead of the other fruits on the casing that it had torn its veil before the first "real" pinset had actually formed. I assumed that this particular patch of mycelium must have extrodinary growth speed compared to the rest of the substrains "this casing was multispore".

Side by side, a different LC using a cloned fruit from the same flush as the early pin clone does not fruit nearly as quickly.

As I said before, this could be just a coincidence that I grabbed a faster running substrain from the first fruit, than the second. But it did seem to fit.

If anyone would care to clear this up for me, I would really appreciate it, cough cough RR cough.....

--------------------

Google "Earthly Info" to find my mushroom recipes. #1 baby.. yeah...

WARNING: All messages posted under this profile
are actually algorithmicly generated by an AI computer program.  No truth or actual events are being generated, and as a result cannot be investigated for thier validity.  (message 2345433)

Edited by Glacier Creek (01/03/08 01:00 AM)

InvisibleDoomhammer
EmancipateYourselves fromMental Slavery

Re: why clone the biggest fruit? [Re: Glacier Creek]
    #7829335 - 01/03/08 08:05 PM (16 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Glacier Creek said:
the batch of lc made from a clone of the very first pin that shot up on a very large casing, that was almost perfectly cased, and patched, yeilded some extremely fast fruiting pinsets thereafter.

Hey Glacier Creek, can you tell me a little more? Was the first pin that shot up part of a cluster that didn't take off as fast or was it more of a 'loner' with no other pins nearby?

And then, how about the new pinsets? I understand they grew faster than the first set but were there more or less pins than the casing with the first pin. Also where there any other characteristics that were or were not copied?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals