Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinethechemist
Stranger

Loc: lost at sea
Bigger fruits
    #2244356 - 01/15/04 04:54 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Ok guys,,,this is a serious post..please dont make some post response trying to piss me off..im really trying to learn here..thanx

got a question...ive been growing my fruits here for a while..but i can never seem to get a huge mushie...i think the biggest fruits ive ever got were like 3 inches tall...and to me, that seems small...buit i see these pictures of where people are growing there fruits and getting like 8 to 9 inch fruits..im not just reffering to letting your fruits over mature,...but generally i think most of my mushrooms could be bigger..but they are not...i realize the sooner you pick the mushroom closer to when the veil rips ..that is when the mushroom is most potent..but im reffering to size...

Is it more in the genetics?

more in the air flow?

more in the environment?

more in the substrate or water supply?

im sure it could be each one of these when it all comes down to it,

Now recently i moved to casing's and i really like it a lot better then just fruiting PF style...

so is it all in the depth of the substrate,..in the casing layer..

hit me up and help me out....im really learning a lot from all of you guys...ive got a grow log that is almost complete...thanks so much for the help in advance...

For my set up:
ive got a terrarium, with a drip shield,perlite in the bottom..with a flourescent light on a timer(14 hours of light, 10 hours of darkness)

ive got a cool mist humidifer set up( see pic) that ive got an a seprate timer, ive got it set to run where there is water build up on the inside of the tube...which i think is enough to provide adequate water into the air

i also just added a hole in the side of the terrarium to let air enter and exit the bottom section of terrarium..it has a micron filter covering it.

i use dystilled water in the cool mist

currently all of my casings are BRF/vermiculite , i recently got a all amercian pressure cooker..and ive got some WBS that is looking really good..that i innoc a week ago...doing awesome by the way

well let me know what you think...im open for suggestions

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineoutaker
cack
Re: Bigger fruits [Re: thechemist]
    #2244367 - 01/15/04 04:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Are you fanning?

Co2 buildup could be the problem. A hole in the bottom of the terrerium isn't sufficient, you need air to "push" the Co2 out, such as a fishtank bubbler.

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2244372 - 01/15/04 05:02 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

the only way to guarentee large fruits is to clone and isolate a strain on agar that has proven to grow large. you are on the right track switching to wbs and casing, though.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

OfflinefIsh in my head
fadedstar

Loc: 4500 ASL
    #2244388 - 01/15/04 05:08 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Well, I've never seen really big shrooms with BRF, either as a cake or a casing.

Some kind of automated setup with a lot of air exchange is definately a major factor for your babies.

Now that you got a pressure cooker, go with grains all the time. Case grain with at least 2 inches of substrate. Aiming for 4 or even 5 inches of substrate isn't futile. This way, you could easily get 6-7 inches fruits.

But if you want some monsters, no other choices than working with bulk. I recently found that straw gives some bigger mushrooms.

These are GTs grown on only 2 inches of straw. Definately bigger than the average grain casing but it could easily be even bigger with more bulk.

good luck.

.fs.

Offlineslammin007
yearnin' talearn

#2244433 - 01/15/04 05:28 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I've grown huge shroomies with BRF and verm. The biggest one I grew was about 9-10 inches, with a 3 and a half inch diameter cap.
I was growing the Equador strain on cakes, in a clear plastic container. It was the first flush, so there was lots of moisture, plus, I provided moisture via cool mist humidifier. I never opened the lid to fan / give air echange, but I think that running the humidifier pushed the CO2 out the bottom vent. It was grown at room temp.

Given these conditions, I would say that the size of the shrooms depends on the strain, available moisture, gas exchange, and just plain chance.

Sometimes you'll get a bunch of smaller shrooms, or like one or two big shrooms. As the shrooms mature they pull a lot of water out of the cakes, and tht prevents any others from pinning and growing. Therefore, if your cake has a lot of pins, they'll develop into many smaller shrooms, whereas if you have fewer pins, they'll get all the moisture and grow really big.

Hope this helps

OfflineFallenShroom
Shagadelic

#2244770 - 01/15/04 07:48 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

It's all in the depth of substrate also type of subsrate with a nice thick casing laying for the to grasp i believe in 1/4" casing for every inch of substrate ive grown them well above 70 grams on regular basis largest one at 90grams here some my older post with pics monster in the patch -- Big Fruits

Anonymous

#2244774 - 01/15/04 07:51 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

deep substrate = big fruits.

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: Bigger fruits [Re: ]
    #2244915 - 01/15/04 10:30 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

FallenShroom and mushmaster ??

how deep would you reccomed to grow shrooms that will pop the lid of my chamber?

--------------------

OfflineOmegaRed
Myco-Floydianenthusiast

Loc: right behind you
    #2245177 - 01/15/04 11:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The biggest fruit I ever got was off of a BRF with the equador strain. When they first start growin, fan fan fan. When they are just starting their first flush I fan at least 5-6 times a day for the first 2-3 days of the flush.

--------------------
Hey Mr. Tamborine Man play a song for me,
I'm not sleepy and there's no place I'm going to.
Hey Mr. Tamborine Man play a song for me,
In the jingle jangle morning I'll come following you.

OfflineNickster_154371
entheogen enthusiast
Male
Re: Bigger fruits [Re: ]
    #2245307 - 01/16/04 02:26 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Mushmaster, when you say "deep substrate = big fruits" are you referring to the amount of substrate in a casing? If so, much substrate should my friend use when casing 2 half pint jars using vermiculite? Thanks!

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2245407 - 01/16/04 03:18 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I've gotta go with the deep sub theory. Sure it's not gonna be in every case. Big shrooms can come off of cake's and small casings but take a look at pictures of casings made of like 1 quart of grain compared to one made of 5 quarts or more. The larger casings will consistently have bigger fruits.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlineluigi
journeyman
Re: Bigger fruits [Re: Nickster_154371]
    #2245513 - 01/16/04 05:36 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I've gotten hugh fruit from BRF.I find that water,air,and temp.is what makes the differents.Also the strain makes a differents.I have to say B+ has grown the biggest by far than others.My biggest was 40 grams wet.

OfflineFallenShroom
Shagadelic

#2245583 - 01/16/04 07:08 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

all the one in the pics above were done with 6" depth of poop and straw with
1-1/2" of casing material produces monster all the time in 3' round tubs

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation