Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineVisigoth
enthusiast

How many HEPA's for complete sterility??
    #779557 - 07/27/02 06:17 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

My friend went to wal-mart and looked at HEPA filters yesterday. First question, what brand would everyone recommend, are holmes hepa's any good?? Also, I know everyone's seen that massive GE Hepa filter. If you put one of those on the floor of a 12 x 12 room, had a smaller hepa on your workspace, and used a flowhood, wouldn't this virtually eliminate the possibility of contams?? Thanks!!!

Vis

--------------------
"15 minutes in freezing conditions?!?! You'd become a popsicle before you made that!!!"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

Re: How many HEPA's for complete sterility?? [Re: Visigoth]
    #779627 - 07/27/02 07:36 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

The small ones work just as good as the big ones. Those gigantic ones will clean a whole house. I guess it depends on the amount of money you want to put into it. Even with a HEPA, still use very clean growing parameters. Even with HEPA running, my friend has lost many batches over the years, but they do help tremendously. bluhoney

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

OfflineShaw
hick

Loc: midwest, usa
Re: How many HEPA's for complete sterility?? [Re: Visigoth]
    #779736 - 07/27/02 09:10 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

the only way to get complete sterility is to heat your room to 250 degrees for an hour or so. Hepa will not give you complete sterility. if you have a clean room to start with, it will help.

--------------------

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: How many HEPA's for complete sterility?? [Re: Shaw]
    #779840 - 07/27/02 10:15 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hepa filters sterilize nothing. They filter air. Not sterilize it.

If you have a room to use? The best bet is to set it up, to make as sterile as possible. Meaning, cover the walls ceiling & floor with heavy gauge plastic. It is not expensive to do. It just takes some time & plastic. The object of the plastic is that comtams can't get through it, it is easy to spray clean w/lysol & keep up.

Then think POSITIVE PRESSURE inside the room. Which will help retain a clean enviroment.

To attain positive pressure inside a room, you set a hepa type filter to filter a larger volume of air going into the room, that is exaughsted from the room. Without a lot of mumbo jumbo, if your pumping in 100 CFM and you restrict the the exaghst vent so that it will only exaghst 50 CFM, the room will have positive pressure, which helps keep it clean.

Then, aslo running another hepa filter in the room doubles the odds that the air in the room is clean, because it is being filtered twice & exaghsted outside the room, along with whatever comes in.

The little problem is, you have to enter & exit the room. Which offsets the positive pressure inside it. If you have a way to double door the room? Meaning like an air lock. Your odds of maintaining a fairly clean room are better.

If you don't have a double door? Then, go in, spay lysol all over to kil whatever contams came in with you. Set down & let the system run for 15 minutes, or so (what ever you feel works), to reestablish positive pressure. Then shut the filters down so there is no air current moving around & do whatever it is your going to do.

Once done, then start the system back up & exit.

That is about as clean as your going to get & maintain a whole room cheaply.

SixTango

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation