Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Hydrated Lime
    #7649596 -

I have some Type N Hydrated Lime. This is called masons hydrated, I found this thread when trying to verify if this was usable here.

From what AGAR says in this thread
Quote:
agar said
High calcium quicklime--derived from limestone containing 0 to 5 percent magnesium carbonate.  :thumbup:



is what I have.

I wanted to get some verification so I don't burn the mycelium.


--------------------
The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hydrated Lime [Re: Socrates6]
    #7649738 -

I thought I remembered reading that masonary lime wasnt to be used. Sounds like what you have might be ok thought. I would keep looking though the archives. I know there is something about masonary lime that you need to be careful about, just can't remember what it is.
'


--------------------



Google "Earthly Info" to find my mushroom recipes. #1 baby.. yeah...

WARNING: All messages posted under this profile
are actually algorithmicly generated by an AI computer program.  No truth or actual events are being generated, and as a result cannot be investigated for thier validity.  (message 2345433)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hydrated Lime [Re: Glacier Creek]
    #7650169 -

Only use horticultural/agricultural hydrated lime, never slaking or masonry lime.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hydrated Lime [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7650232 -

Thanks RR I will take it back and get something else.


--------------------
The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hydrated Lime [Re: Socrates6]
    #7650453 -

Agricultural Lime:
Ground Limestone, not the chemical Lime.

Lime starts out as calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate can be derived from Limestones, coral, chalk or from the shells of mollusks such as oysters or clams. Heating the substance drives out carbon dioxide, leaving Calcium Oxide. That is one type of Lime. From Calcium Oxide, another type of Lime, which is Calcium Hydroxide, is derived.

Pickling Lime:
Pickling Lime is Calcium Hydroxide. It's also called "food-grade Lime", because in making the Calcium Hydroxide the processors make sure that the process remains pure and doesn't introduce anything untoward (e.g. it's not done in rusty old bins).

---------------------
Every year the big-blue box store puts their canning supplies on clearance and usually they'll have a stock of "pickling lime" that has been sold yet. Retail is around $2.99 per 16oz container - which is rather expensive compared to agricultural lime - however when it goes on clearance it's only $1.00 USD a pound and comes in such handy, dandy containers it's almost too good to pass up...



--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hydrated Lime [Re: mycocurious]
    #7653958 -

Well, I finally found some Hi-Yield brand Hydrated lime.

I found it through the Do It Best Store Locator this is the website RR recommends in other threads.

In Dallas (Plano) the store is named Elliot's Hardware. So if you are in the area and are having difficulty in finding Hydrated Lime they have the 5 lbs bags of Hi-Yield.


--------------------
The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Hydrated Lime [Re: Socrates6]
    #7654216 -

That is also where I get my lime and gypsum. The gypsum they sell comes in little stones, but once it soaks in water for a few minutes it breaks up into normal silt consistancy.

The nice thing about this place, is that you can have your order shipped to a store and just pick it up if you want. You don't even have to have it shippped to your house.

Thanks again to RR for doing our leg work for us.


--------------------



Google "Earthly Info" to find my mushroom recipes. #1 baby.. yeah...

WARNING: All messages posted under this profile
are actually algorithmicly generated by an AI computer program.  No truth or actual events are being generated, and as a result cannot be investigated for thier validity.  (message 2345433)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* conflicting sources - hydrated lime WWorker 1,028 6 09/25/07 07:03 PM
by Vegan
* hydrated lime brewwhaha1 1,116 4 05/31/05 11:38 PM
by MrMaddHatter
* 60/40 casing and HYDRATED LIME?????
( 1 2 all )
DaShroomer 2,641 21 03/13/06 10:17 PM
by sudont
* Masonary Hydrated Lime - OK to use? (w/ pics) stuff3232 5,240 12 12/19/06 08:52 PM
by ethnoeste
* 50/50+ question. Aren't oyster shell, limestone and calcium carbonate the same thing? Alprazolom 5,287 3 10/20/06 06:20 PM
by Cotg8520
* Hydrated lime tek *DELETED* Chemy 1,666 3 11/06/07 02:38 PM
by mycocurious
* agricultural lime vs hydrated lime *important!*
( 1 2 all )
angryshroom 6,995 24 01/29/02 03:21 PM
by Anno
* Agricultural vs Horticultural vs hydrated lime faceyneck 2,902 5 06/07/07 11:41 AM
by Anno

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
2,256 topic views. 19 members, 63 guests and 161 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.