Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse... * 1
    #7573382 - 10/29/07 03:35 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

LOL, anyone getting tired of these yet? This will probably be the last one for a good long while as I won't have any spare time or money for "contraptioning" as the holidays rapidly approach...
---

Note: This TEK assumes you're comfortable using PVC Solvents & Cement, if you're not, I would recommend picking up several practice pieces to figure it all out first. It's horribly messy so don't do it inside and do use newspaper and gloves when you do...

The Parts List:

• "4-Tier Mini Portable GREENHOUSE"
    (Available through a retailer on ebay.com only, these units are only $17 USD + Shipping and are - for the money - the most well-constructed, well-suited greenhouse I could find.)

• 3 - "Daylight" Fluorescent Lighting Fixtures
    (These lights produce color temperatures in the 60,000-65,000 Kelvin range which is the preferred color range for fruiting our favored, light-sensitive strains of mushroom.)

• Cheap Lamp Timer
    (This type of timer is only good for controlling our lighting, which is precisely what we'll use it for - 12h on / 12h off.)

• Self-Seal Laminating Plastic
    (This will be used to reinforce the hole created for our plumbing. Without this, or something similar, the plastic sheathing of the greenhouse will keep stretching and tearing until you no longer have a tight seal...)

NOTE: All PVC used in this project is CPVC (Chlorinated Poly (Vinyl Chloride)) which is used for hot-water runs inside your home. The reason we use this type of PVC instead of the white, standard Schedule 40 PVC is because of the size. The outer-diameter of 1/2" CPVC is only 5/8th which fits our greenhouse perfectly whereas the outer-diameter of 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC is 7/8th and wouldn't fit. Even the inner diameter of the 1/2" SCH 40 PVC is really 5/8th and not a true 1/2", as to why, I have no idea...but we'll definitely be using it to our advantage.

• PVC Parts List:
    - (04) 1/2" CPVC x 11.50" Pipe
    - (04) 1/2" CPVC x 7.50" Pipe
    - (04) 1/2" CPVC x 9.00" Pipe
    - (16) 1/2" CPVC x 6.50" Pipe
    - (16) 1/2" CPVC x 1.25" Pipe
    - (20) 1/2" CPVC 3-Way/"T" Connectors
    - (20) 1/2" CPVC End Caps
    - (20) 1/2" CPVC 45° Street Elbows
    - (01) Can of purple pvc/cpvc primer.
    - (01) Can of orange pvc/cpvc cement.

• A 1200+ watt UPS/Battery Backup System
    (Technically this is an "optional" component and you can get away without having one but if you can afford it, I definitely think they're worth the money. I liked the unit shown because it gives me a heads-up display of all it's stat's)

Tools Required:

• A Pipe/Tube Cutter
    (For less than $10.00 USD at your local hardware store, these help ensure cuts that are straighter and cleaner than done with standard PVC Cutting Shears or a hacksaw.)

• Blow Torch
    (When we cut the holes for ventilation and for the plumbing to pass through we're going to avoid using razors and knives by heating metallic objects that are the right diameter and melting through the plastic. For the plumbing, I used a pipe reamer used to ream out electrical conduit as it was the perfect 5/8" size. For the ventilation holes, I used an empty can of soup...)

• Rotary Cutting Tool & Precision Drill Bits
    (I love my dremel, I love my dremel, I love my dremel. As a secondary hobby, I create a lot of custom (computer) case-mods... I'm always contraptioning on something in my garage, lol. The precision bits are needed because the holes we're going to make in the wands are only as thick as your average paperclip. Very++ Tiny Holes == Better Distribution and less dripping.)

• 5/8" Spade Drill Bit & Power Drill
    (This is the size of the holes we'll be making through the framing of the greenhouse for the plumbing. Anything larger would leave too much of a gap and wouldn't hold the CPVC securely...)

Getting Started:
The very first thing you'll need to do is fully assemble your greenhouse and inspect it for any defective/missing parts. Discovering this now, before any modifications have been made will ensure a painless RMA/exchange process with the vendor...

Also, as we begin assembling the CPVC components and actually gluing them I will be giving very specific instructions on which pieces are supposed to be welded and which pieces are intended to be dry-fit only. Pay close attention to this because it's critical to the flexibility of the design and the ability to be able to disassemble it completely for storage.

Construction:
For simplicities sake, I'm going to assume you've already cut all the CPVC to the lengths listed above in the Parts section. While we're on the subject though I would just like to reiterate that all of the dimensions listed assume you are using a tube-cutter and will have a straight, flush fit for all your pieces. Using pvc cutting shears or a hacksaw will often create crooked cuts that don't fit flushly and it will cause problems. OK, down to the nitty gritty of it all...

The Internal Plumbing:
WELDING INSTRUCTIONS: Only weld the CPVC 3-Way/"T" Connectors to the ends of the 11.50" straight pipes. Also, make sure the "T" Connectors are flush and point in precisely the same direction. All other pieces are intended to always be "dry fitted" when in use.

• (04) 1/2" CPVC x 11.50" Pipe
  • (04) 1/2" CPVC x 7.50" Pipe
  • (04) 1/2" CPVC x 9.00" Pipe
  • (08) 1/2" CPVC 3-Way/"T" Connectors
This is the plumbing that will run through you greenhouse and supply your fruiting chamber with it's FAE and humidity. Dry-fitting the end-pieces allows you to reconfigure your greenhouse to have the humidifier on either side of the greenhouse and it allows you to re-seat the center piece after the hoses have been hooked-up. (The hoses will apply torque to the pipes and cause them to twist. After they've been hooked up you can simply twist the bars back so that they properly oriented.) It also allows disassembly of the unit for compact and easy storage.

The Wands (Part I):
WELDING INSTRUCTIONS: There is no welding in this step!!!

• (16) 1/2" CPVC x 6.50" Pipe
  • (16) 1/2" CPVC End Caps
  • Rotary Cutting Tool & 5/64" Bit
What I did was dry-fitted the caps on to each end of the piping and traced around them with a marking pencil so that I would know where the exposed piping will be. Then, using the yellow stripe on the pipe, I begin drilling three rows of tightly packed holes in the exposed areas of the pipe. All three rows should be concentrated near the bottom of that pipe but angled such that it can distribute it's payload relatively evenly across your tubs.

It's tedious work, but after you drill out all 80,000 of those little holes, we're going to have to ream them out. Grab yourself a paperclip and start jamming them into the holes, one by one, and giving it a circular motion turn to widen and ream out any lose plastic in the hole. Once you've finished that, you can take the blade of a pair of scissors and run it across the pipe back and forth over the holes to cut off any extra material. Internally, I recommend using a very long screw-driver to "rub off" the dangling bits internally.

Basically we're just trying to make these holes as smooth as possible on the interior and exterior because anything that causes turbulence in the air-flow is going to allow water vapor to accumulate, potentially causing a drip on your substrate.

The Wands (Part II):
WELDING INSTRUCTIONS: The 3-Way/"T" Connectors are only welded on the top to the 1.5" Pipe. The End Caps are welded to one end of the 6.50" pre-drilled wands...the wands are NOT INTENDED to be welded to the 3-Way/"T" Connectors.

• (08) 1/2" CPVC 3-Way/"T" Connectors
  • (08) 1/2" CPVC x 1.25" Pipe
  • (16) 1/2" CPVC x 6.50" Pipe (pre-drilled)
  • (16) 1/2" CPVC End Caps
That's it for the welding, all of the pieces are dry-fitted into place at this point. I wanted to keep the welding simple enough to allow easy disassembly and interchangeable parts - in the case of the wands, etc. - but I wanted to make sure enough of the right parts where welded together so you wouldn't have to deal with it coming apart unexpectedly when the pieces are manipulated.

--------------------------
Modifying The Greenhouse:

These are the "ribs" of the greenhouse's framing. If you look closely you can see how each one contained an "extra" peg in the center that, if drilled out with a 5/8" drill bit would perfectly support our plumbing system... For each one of the ribs, carefully bore out that hole as close to center as possible. You may find it easier stay on center when boring out these holes if you disassemble the greenhouse first for this step.

At this point if you were to fully reassemble your green house and set up the plumbing system inside it, it would look something like this with the plastic off of it.

Creating the cutouts:

After you're finished admiring the work, remove the plumbing system and put the plastic cover over the greenhouse and zip it up tight - you might need to fuss with it a bit but make sure it's on correctly and snugly. Using a sharpie, mark off where the plumbing will go through the plastic by drawing a big dot in the holes through the framework that you just bored out. The electrical tape you see in the image is where I decided I'm going to cut out my ventilation ports.

To create the reinforcement for the holes we will make through the plastic sheathing, cut off eight 4" x 4" squares from the roll. Following the directions on the roll, carefully adhere two of the pieces together at a time until you have four double-thick 4" x 4" squares. Cut all of them into quarters and you should end up with sixteen 2" x 2" double-thick squares. Carefully apply them over your marked dot, on both sides of the greenhouse's plastic sheathing and make sure to remove any air bubbles you might have. Make sure to follow the directions and allow it to cure for 24 hours or they'll end up pealing off a few days later from the humidity preventing the adhesive from drying completely.

When you prepare to burn out the cutouts, make sure you use a piece of over your workspace to absorb the heat so you don't burn anything underneath. You really only need to heat up the metal for a couple seconds to get it hot enough, if you try to wait for it to get red-hot you'll probably end up causing the plastic handle to shatter into your eyes, horribly blinding you. All kidding aside, 5-10 seconds is more than enough to get that thing blazing hot for our needs. In one motion, place the tip of the tool over the center of the dot and press hard until it has melted out a 5/8" sized plug through that reinforced area. Once this cools, all five pieces of plastic will be fused together along the inside ring of the hole you just created making it rather strong and durable. Repeat this, carefully, for each one of the plumbing holes on both sides of the greenhouse's plastic sheathing.

You can perform the same process for the ventilation holes, only you'll need 14 4" x 4" squares - one for each tier for four (left,front,right,top) sides. I don't put ventilation holes in the back of my greenhouse because I don't want to run the risk of my fluorescent light ballasts shorting out from the humidity. After they've had a chance to cure for a day or so, you can use an empty can off soup to make the circular cutout in the same manner as above or - if you have one handy - you can use a heat-knife to cut them out.

I want with the latter simply because I had the knife handy and no cans of soup I was willing to eat, lol. To that end, I simply traced out a circle using a dome-band (lid) from a quart jar as the template and then cut out the circle making sure to leave a flap on top should I decide to tape the hole shut again - I'm all about configurability, lol...

Wrapping Up:

Believe it or not, we're actually done. At this point all you need to do is reassemble the plumbing system in the greenhouse's framework and carefully but the cover back on. Fit each one of the pipes through the reinforced holes and on the side with the shorter piping, dry-fit the end caps on securely. Then pull them snug against the framework of the greenhouse and you will have a reinforced, air-tight fitting through the plastic. The other, longer ends will be used to connect the (5/8" inner diameter) hoses to your humidifier.

The only thing left to do is to rig up the lighting and start testing out the rest of the equipment. I mounted my lighting such that it pretty much at the same height as the plumbing on each tier, except on the bottom most tier, which I excluded because it was already receiving enough ambient light from the three other ballasts. Lastly, to catch any condensation/etc. I placed the entire greenhouse inside a washing machine's "drip-tray", regardless of what kind of greenhouse you automate, these are a great - and fairly universal - solution to keeping your floors dry.

Some final glory-shots of the system...

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCaptainLinger
A Fungus Amongus

Re: How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse... [Re: mycocurious]
    #7573409 - 10/29/07 03:45 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Way to go the extra mile; that looks a bit unnecessarily complex at times, but a true case modder would understand the full-bore ethic.

Thanks for the heads up on the washing machine drip tray. I hadn't seen those before; it will be protecting my wood floor from now on!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse... [Re: CaptainLinger]
    #7573469 - 10/29/07 04:05 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I tried similar a few years ago. The problem was water condensing in the pipes, filling them up, and then dripping water back down on the substrate trays, flooding them. See how it works when you get it fired up.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse... [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7573589 - 10/29/07 04:39 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I've been running it non-stop over the last week as I dial into the humidifer's "sweet-spot" between the fan-speed and the intervals that the ultrasonic fogger runs and thus far there's been no water building up in the wands.

And with the recent addition of a space-heater aimed towards the area - but specifically at the humidifier's intake fan - I've been able to maintain 88-92% RH @ 78.6(F) without any condensation forming on the walls of the greenhouse.

My best guess is that because the blower on the humidifier runs 24/7 the constant static pressure inside the system prevents the buildup of liquid-water inside the rigging. (the air-stone also runs 24/7 but the ultrasonic fogger only runs in short bursts using a cycle-timer.)

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse... [Re: CaptainLinger]
    #7573608 - 10/29/07 04:44 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

CaptainLinger said:
Way to go the extra mile; that looks a bit unnecessarily complex at times, but a true case modder would understand the full-bore ethic.

All I can say to that is something I once heard said regarding engineers...

Quote:

An engineer will over-complicate anything he gets his hands on until he runs out of time, money or both.

In all seriousness though, I'm sure there are some refinements that can be done but I was looking for something that could be easily assembled and disassembled as needed. Maybe even something that was repackageable if it ever took off as such, lol...

--------------------

figgusfiddus said:

InvisibleSmartweed
Psychelica
 User Gallery

Loc: Cloud 9
    #7573749 - 10/29/07 05:27 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

I found a humidifier system to work alot better in this situation. You might want to look into that.

--------------------
I believe that if people would learn to use LSD's vision-inducing capability more wisely, under suitable conditions, in medical practice and in conjunction with meditation, then in the future this problem child could become a wonderchild. - HOFFMAN

My Print/Syringe Trade List

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse... [Re: Smartweed]
    #7573821 - 10/29/07 05:54 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Smartweed said:
I found a humidifier system to work alot better in this situation. You might want to look into that.

lol, you mean a store-bought unit or one like the custom one i built just for this purpose - the link to it is in my sig below...

--------------------

figgusfiddus said:

OfflinePr0_X
CultivationLifer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Igloo's and polar bears
    #7573865 - 10/29/07 06:02 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Looks spiffy, very good job man but way overly complicated.

Humidifier in the greenhouse with a try of perlite beneath to catch water droplets is much easier then jerry rigging up a entire watering system that if not properly configured will clog up your casing layer.

But hey, I still think your's rocks! :thumbup:

--------------------
It's okay to hurt my feelings
cause you know, they're so numb anyway.
but I guess it's what I get
for being to fuckin stupid to stay away - Jake

- Support the FSR at www.fsrcanada.com and www.fsre.nl

InvisibleThePyschonaut52
Stranger
Male

Re: How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse... [Re: Pr0_X]
    #7574000 - 10/29/07 06:36 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Ma brain dun hert tu mutch frum reeding this:confused:

lol. Nice write-up...even though it's slightly complicated...but still:thumbup:

I like it! Five shrooms for you!

--------------------
"In god we trust..."

-I guess we're screwed.

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse... [Re: ThePyschonaut52]
    #7574206 - 10/29/07 07:42 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Bravo! Absolutely wonderful! I build computers and mod the hell out of them so I totally understand how much you love your dremel! I love my dremel, I love my dremel, I love my dremel. Your tek was completely understandable and well written. I'm going to print it out and add it to my "tek" binder for future reference. Five shroomies for you!

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

InvisibleSmartweed
Psychelica
 User Gallery

Loc: Cloud 9
    #7574609 - 10/29/07 09:36 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mycocurious said:
Quote:

Smartweed said:

lol, you mean a store-bought unit or one like the custom one i built just for this purpose - the link to it is in my sig below...

Something similiar but I made it myself. Looks a little different not as big.

--------------------
I believe that if people would learn to use LSD's vision-inducing capability more wisely, under suitable conditions, in medical practice and in conjunction with meditation, then in the future this problem child could become a wonderchild. - HOFFMAN

My Print/Syringe Trade List

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse... [Re: Smartweed]
    #7574929 - 10/29/07 11:04 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really didn't think it was all that complicated although I do admit to a little bit of "hand-holding" throughout the article.

Luckily my wife doesn't read the forums so she's never going to hear about the "over complicated" bits.  She's been saying that for years now and I wouldn't want it going to her head.... :grin:

--------------------

figgusfiddus said:

InvisibleThis guy
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #7574937 - 10/29/07 11:06 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

cool.. i like it! you did a very nice job. although my simple solution is just put the cool mist on the bottom of the GH. your way works too im sure. just watch for drips of water like RR suggested.

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse... [Re: This guy]
    #7575073 - 10/30/07 12:15 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

yea, I noticed a few so I just pulled apart the wands, shook them out, and reassembled them with the jets pointing upwards instead. still means I'll have to shake them out occasionally but it'll prevent the drips from landing on the casing...

I knew making all those parts interchangeable would come in handy...

--------------------

figgusfiddus said:

OfflineSuperPuma
Automation Nut
 User Gallery

#7607092 - 11/07/07 01:59 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Myco: Any resolution RR's doomsday prediction?

I have a trunk full of home depot PVC goodies destined to turn my martha into a setup similar to your own.

How often do you need to dissasemble and drain?

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse... [Re: SuperPuma]
    #7607145 - 11/07/07 02:20 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

SuperPuma said:
How often do you need to dissasemble and drain?

Because the wands can be dismantled, I just inverted them so the holes were pointing upwards instead of down directly on the trays. So far I've only had to drain them once a day in the evening - coinciding with my daily check on them - so it works out well. Takes me all of four minutes to pull all eight of them apart, give them a shake, dry them off and reassemble.

As I didn't intend on making a completely automated, hands-free solution, this works out just fine. I'm willing to compromise on a daily "cleaning" in exchange for the ability to maintain a complete fresh-air exchange every 3-5 minutes while maintaining 90-100% RH the entire time. Going to need that for my next batch of oysters...

Ultimately I'm hoping to use much of the design to duplicate The Jackal's done morels experiment and in that situation those wands may provide the "rain" cycles required...but that's a long way off and I'm still learning from his mistakes while the learning's free.

--------------------

figgusfiddus said:

OfflineSuperPuma
Automation Nut
 User Gallery

#7607237 - 11/07/07 02:43 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

What about incorporating angles into the wands, leading perhaps to drainage tubes?

I can't help but be attracted to an automated, modular, no holds barred greenhouse like yours; I have an OCD-like compulsion to cover absolutely everything.

Also, where can I read up on this morel experiment?

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#7607377 - 11/07/07 03:16 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Morel & Morel Excited!

You can build upon and modify the design anyway you see fit at that point. There are several different types of wands I've considered developing, each with growth parameters of various different species in mind. From my perspective the concept of drainage tubes would be overkill but it's definitely open for improvement...

--------------------

figgusfiddus said:

OfflineBlargIAmDead
Shroom Samurai
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7607420 - 11/07/07 03:27 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Working in a machine shop for a most of my life so far all I can say is that is a gorgeous gorgeous thing you have there myco. Course I would have built mine out of stainless and aluminum with digital displays, an easy chair, and maybe a fridge, able to double as a toddlers jungle gym :wink:. In all seriousness though fantastic job, good explanation and I second the drip pipe idea. A quarter inch hole in the caps of the tilted tubes with some fish tank tubing and silicone attached to the caps. If I think of an easier way to do it I'll get back to you.

OfflineSuperPuma
Automation Nut
 User Gallery

Re: How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse... [Re: BlargIAmDead]
    #7607957 - 11/07/07 05:18 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Guys, heed the schedule 40 warning!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate