Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestuff3232
Still Learning
Masonary Hydrated Lime - OK to use? (w/ pics)
    #6387321 - 12/19/06 04:52 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I have had alot of difficulty finding hydrated lime, most likely because it is out of gardening season right now. I did however, just find this bag of hydrated lime.

It say that it is for masonary purposes, is it still OK to use? I see no mention of dolomite.

Here are some pics of the bag:

Thanks, any input would be appreciated!

Edited by stuff3232 (12/19/06 04:55 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Masonary Hydrated Lime - OK to use? [Re: stuff3232]
    #6387349 - 12/19/06 04:59 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

We've had people get poor results with it before. I'm not positive, but I think the concentration of calcium hydroxide is higher. The hydrated lime you want is agricultural/horticultural grade and will give comparisons to calcium carbonate to tell how much stronger it is. Here's the label from what you want. I bought this bag at a feed store.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinestuff3232
Still Learning
Re: Masonary Hydrated Lime - OK to use? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6387399 - 12/19/06 05:17 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the quick response.

The ACE Hardware I bought that bag of masonary lime from is able to order me a bag of horticulture grade hydrated lime, I was just hoping the masonary would work since it's in stock and cheaper. I bought the 50 lb bag of masonary hydrated lime for $5.99, the 25 lb bag of horticultural hydrated lime is $9.99.

If other people have had problems with it before, then I'm certainly not going to try it. My first grow got contaminated with green mold in the casing layer (I didn't have any lime to bump up the pH). I moved them outside and still was able to harvest a decent little flush, all things considered. I'm hoping my second attempt will prove more successful. I'll go ahead and have them order the horticultural hydrated lime.

Thanks again RR! I've learned an extraordinary amount of info from reading your posts throughout my learning experience.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6387602 - 12/19/06 06:31 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I have grown mushrooms on quite a few occasions and I have never in my life bought hydrated lime,I always fail to see why people drive them self crazy looking for these hard to find ingredients,I remember doing it with verm and than giving up and ordering it online,only to realize that you don't need it whatsoever.The only impossible to find ingredient I use now is gypsum and for that I just crush up some drywall,I still have most of the piece I got for free at the hardware store just for asking....and for the record that isn't needed either,I forget to add it half the time and everything still works out fine,I wish I had back all the time and money I wasted looking for unneeded things for this hobby :rant:  :rant:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Masonary Hydrated Lime - OK to use? [Re: Blutjager]
    #6387734 - 12/19/06 07:07 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

If you lived in a high trich spore load area, you wouldn't consider the few minutes it takes to drive to a feed store, nor the six bucks for a lifetime supply of hydrated lime a waste. Don't make the mistake of thinking in a few months of growing you've learned all there is to learn. Wait until you've had a big trich outbreak and then every project takes a dive. You'll be screaming for some lime.

Gypsum has been proved by commercial farms for many years to provide up to a 25% to 35% boost in yields over not using it. If you don't have your substrates tweaked in yet, don't knock gypsum. Once you get the best possible substrate mix, gypsum will add considerably to yields. That's a fact.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6387893 - 12/19/06 07:49 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

O I by no means think I know all there is to know,as a matter of fact I still learn something new all the time and I get get enough of it all that is why I come here so often.I used to lose everything,and I do mean EVERY thing,to trich,every single jar that I made before I started using bleach and a glovebox.

It must just be the area where I live but it gets so frustrating that almost none of these items can be found around me,I'm actually pretty resourceful and have went at the phone book many times looking for things that I was under the impression that I needed.I was in no way knocking gypsum and I like to use it,I was just saying that I never in my life have seen it for sale(Except in a giant 50 lb box)and when I forget to add it,I don't see that much of a difference.I don't think anyone here is a commercial grower and I just figured that someone should say not to drive yourself crazy looking for things that are unnecessary.

I am sure there are a million things that are beneficial and helpful for growers but I think that the bottom line is that when people are starting out they should keep everything as simple as possible,after you have a few grows under your belt is when you may want to start tweaking things for better yields,people who haven't grown yet and are just starting are usually happy to just get anything to grow and this success will provide the fire needed to keep learning,I know that is what happened to me.

O and by the way,RR,I tried out what you said about ditching squirting spores into karo/honey and I made and LC by mixing sterilized water and shaking it into a grain jar.I don't think I will ever go back to regular LC again.Everyone can learn from each other here and that is what makes this place so great,sometimes discussion and disagreements provide the best opportunities for experimenting and accumulation of knowledge :thumbup:

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #6388027 - 12/19/06 08:24 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
If you lived in a high trich spore load area, you wouldn't consider the few minutes it takes to drive to a feed store, nor the six bucks for a lifetime supply of hydrated lime a waste.  Don't make the mistake of thinking in a few months of growing you've learned all there is to learn.  Wait until you've had a big trich outbreak and then every project takes a dive.  You'll be screaming for some lime.

Gypsum has been proved by commercial farms for many years to provide up to a 25% to 35% boost in yields over not using it.  If you don't have your substrates tweaked in yet, don't knock gypsum.  Once you get the best possible substrate mix, gypsum will add considerably to yields.  That's a fact.
RR

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Q. What is lime? What are the differences between quicklime and hydrated lime, high calcium lime and dolomitic lime?

A:  Lime is a generic term, but by strict definition it embraces only the manufactured forms of lime—quicklime and hydrated lime. It does not include limestone, which is the feedstock for lime manufacturing (click here for a short description on how lime is produced).

Quicklime, the product of calcination of limestone, consists of the oxides of calcium and magnesium, and in the United States it is available in three forms:

High calcium quicklime--derived from limestone containing 0 to 5 percent magnesium carbonate.   :thumbup:

Magnesian quicklime--derived from limestone containing 5 to 35 percent magnesium carbonate.

Dolomitic quicklime--derived from limestone containing 35 to 46 percent magnesium carbonate.
:thumbdown:

Hydrated lime is a dry powder manufactured by treating quicklime with sufficient water to satisfy its chemical affinity for water, thereby converting the oxides to hydroxides. Depending upon the type of quicklime used and the hydrating conditions employed, the amount of water in chemical combination varies, as follows:

High calcium hydrated lime--high calcium quicklime produces a hydrated lime containing generally 72 to 74 percent calcium oxide and 23 to 24 percent chemically combined water.   :thumbup:

Dolomitic hydrated lime (normal)--under atmospheric hydrating conditions only the calcium oxide fraction of dolomitic quicklime hydrates, producing a hydrated lime of the following chemical composition: 46 to 48 percent calcium oxide, 33 to 34 percent magnesium oxide, and 15 to 17 percent chemically combined water.

Dolomitic hydrated lime (pressure)--this lime is produced from dolomitic quicklime under pressure, which results in hydrating all of the magnesium oxide as well as all of the calcium oxide, producing the following chemical composition: 40 to 42 percent calcium oxide, 29 to 30 percent magnesium oxide, and 25 to 27 percent chemically combined water.
:thumbdown:

--------------------

Offlinebuddhasninja
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6388033 - 12/19/06 08:25 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

At present, I'm using Hi-Yield brand Horticultural Hydrated Lime. I've heard good things from people I trust. I bought it on ebay for just a few bucks. Actually, I bought two bags because the shipping for the second was free.

--------------------
Place the patty on a sesame seed bun, in accordance to the principle of balance as mentioned by the Buddha. This may be an ordinary bun, but a true ninja prefers to toast the bun lightly in order to better savor the flavor of his burger.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Masonary Hydrated Lime - OK to use? [Re: buddhasninja]
    #6388061 - 12/19/06 08:31 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Masonary Hydrated Lime - OK to use? [Re: agar]
    #6388083 - 12/19/06 08:37 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Wow, what a way to make money. That's only 2 pounds, and I pay less than twice that price for 50 pounds at the local feed store.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Invisibleethnoeste
ethno
 User Gallery

#6388099 - 12/19/06 08:42 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6388113 - 12/19/06 08:44 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I hear ya there.
Same for oyster shell flour.
I pay $7 for 50 lbs.
most pay that much for a 3 lb box.

--------------------

Invisibleethnoeste
ethno
 User Gallery

#6388133 - 12/19/06 08:52 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

agar said:
I hear ya there.
Same for oyster shell flour.
I pay $7 for 50 lbs.
most pay that much for a 3 lb box.

It's the penalty I pay for living in a city with a few million other people. Feeds stores are way far off. RR, you have a good hookup with that feed store! I was checking their offerings off a link you sent me in the past.

I thought it was hilarious (and not) that I paid $43 for shipping on a 50lb bag of OSF that cost around $7.

This ebay link will be a quick fix, cause I NEED that lime. Gypsum and OSF only gets me to a 6.75 PH.

Maybe with the coming holidays I'll take that roadtrip into the country for healthy stock on lime.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom