Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
agar transfers
    #4671820 -

i did my first agar transfers earlier today... i'm doing p. caerulipes which were started on antibiotic agar and placed on peroxidated agar.

i put the mycelium side facing down toward the new plate... is this right? or should the mycelium face upwards?

also, how thick do people usually pour their plates... mine were like 3/8" thick and i poured the peroxidated plates that are about the same thickness... should i shoot to make them thinner for my next transfer?

i'm beginning to discover that agar is a lot of fun. its pretty easy and inexpensive to get into and gives me some more mycological toys to play with/look at while jars are colonizing, bins of horse poo are colonizing, caseings are being colonized, and waiting for pins on stuff in the fruiting chamber... i recommend everyone to give it a try!

i've gotten a big kick out of an extra plate that i put some toe jam, a booger, and earwax on... my toejam has many different kinds of nasty shit in it... boogers ended up making a bunch of green mold... and earwax seems to be sterile... good to know!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: agar transfers [Re: buggers]
    #4671890 -

come on guys... somebody's gotta think its cool/funny that i cultured my boogers and my toe jam!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: agar transfers [Re: buggers]
    #4672155 -

:thumbup:

that's awsome!!(?)

:shrug:


--------------------
:bongload: Look into my heyes !! :bongload:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: agar transfers [Re: ThumpaCap]
    #4673145 -

I place the mycelium up on the new dish. This keeps it exposed to air so it can grow faster. It will crawl off the wedge and onto the new plate with no problem. I also transfer a piece no larger than a grain of rice when making transfers. You can pour plates thinner than you did. I get two sleeves of twenty from one liter of agar solution. You're right, agar is a lot of fun.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: agar transfers [Re: buggers]
    #4673702 -

face the mycelium upwards...
like Roger said.

I love working with agar too.
Nothing like working with isolates and clones.
:smile:

lmfao @ toe jam, a booger, and earwax!~
you have too much time on your hands.

tc


--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!


Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: agar transfers [Re: Roadkill]
    #7587045 -

Fucking a I wish I had freetime like that!! That is funny though.


--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: agar transfers [Re: buggers]
    #7587097 -

I place my wedges face down. There is plenty of oxygen available at the time of transfer for the mycelium to use for recovery. Really It is not a big issue, but placing the mycelium in direct contact with the agar ensures faster recovery times in my opinion. Especially when using peroxidated agar. I have cultured both ways and have found through numerous transfers and by keeping a journal that contact is faster but not enough to be worried about.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: agar transfers [Re: lipa]
    #7587265 -

And my question is where do you get antibiotic agar and peroxidated agar? As far as the original question is concerned, Face up works for me. The toe jam, boogers, and earwax experiment was awesome! That is something I would totally do! I just never seem to have that spare plate. LOL!


--------------------


AMU Q&A thread.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: agar transfers [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #7587294 -

The shroomy 1 said:
And my question is where do you get antibiotic agar and peroxidated agar?




I think most people make up their own.

I do.



tc


--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!


Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: agar transfers [Re: The shroomy 1]
    #7587348 -

If you would like a recipe for my peroxide agar . i would be happy to give it out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: agar transfers [Re: lipa]
    #7590018 -

I have tryptic soy agar it is said for growing bacteria on it could it be used for this as well?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: agar transfers [Re: katfish]
    #7590506 -

No. Use malt extract agar. You don't want to select for bacteria, you want to select for fungi. Gentmycin sulphate is the antibiotic of choice because it can be added pre-sterilization and will survive the autoclave. Use 20 grams per liter.

I believe sporeworks has an antibiotic agar for sale. If not, stamets sells it on his site if you don't want to make your own.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: agar transfers [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7590636 -

I get my agar from mycosupply .. I make 250 ML batches at a time its lasted forever .. I might try the antibiotic agar next time

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* agar transfer substitution? omniscientlore 1,587 3 12/19/22 07:14 AM
by Screwup
* How to make agar 2 agar transfer? esp 7,294 7 01/08/04 11:08 AM
by YidakiMan
* agar to agar transfer ohmatic 16,905 11 01/12/21 09:00 PM
by bodhisatta
* agar transfers *DELETED* thisone 1,375 3 11/20/03 08:58 PM
by Mycomancer
* Can I add certain % Peroxide to substrate mix? Numba9 8,875 5 08/23/01 09:31 AM
by shellacct
* Grain to Agar? Aiko Aiko 2,685 12 05/23/16 11:00 AM
by bodhisatta
* antibiotic agar
( 1 2 all )
5meopsyco 7,057 24 02/23/22 08:31 AM
by MysticMycologist
* transferring "normal" to "peroxide agar" - dunk the tissue in h2o2 ? ohmatic 3,055 12 05/25/05 02:19 PM
by ohmatic

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
4,803 topic views. 17 members, 81 guests and 125 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.022 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 14 queries.