Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefeared
Stranger
what to put cakes on in chamber? Lots of ?'s
    #737334 - 07/10/02 04:49 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Hello all. I have cakes all ready to go in my new rubbermaid container. I am going with pearlite for an inch on the bottom, well soaked. The grow guide I am using off this site says to take each cake out of the jar and use the top as a place to stick the cake on while it fruits over the perlite. Problem is, I wanna use these jars to make mroe cakes and thats kinda tough without the tops. Can I jsut stick them right on the perlite? Oh, and the container is clear, but the top is dark blue, will it be ok with light only coming in from the sides?

thanks.

--------------------
There's nothing like the feeling of an 800 horse street car....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: what to put cakes on in chamber? Lots of ?'s [Re: feared]
    #737341 - 07/10/02 04:50 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I suggest you lay down some tin-foil to seperate the cakes from the perlite or else you will get waterlogged shrooms and the cakes might contaminate. Tape a black garbage bag around the sides of your terrarium and only allow light to come in from above.

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Invisibleinvader
Stranger
    #737367 - 07/10/02 04:58 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

You can put them straight on the perlite, and they will probably grow, but the mushrooms will be soggy. But, it helps them grow bigger also. I would recommend putting down plastic butter lids or something else over the perlite, because the metal lids will rust. Just give your cake a couple days on the perlite directly, and then put them on something.

If you are using PF cakes then it doesnt matter where the light comes from, since the mushrooms can grow out sideways and be fine. (just not from underneath of course)

Offlinefeared
Stranger
Re: what to put cakes on in chamber? Lots of ?'s [Re: invader]
    #737398 - 07/10/02 05:08 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks guys for the help. I was thinking that the perlite might allow too much water to get sucked into the cake.... So, I stick them right on for a day or two to allow them to soak up some extra water, then how about using some saran wrap or similar plastic to lay them on? That should work right?

--------------------
There's nothing like the feeling of an 800 horse street car....

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Loc: ^^ His house ^^
    #737412 - 07/10/02 05:15 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

It would be best to not let them lay on the perlite at all. The double-ended casing tek is when you put wet vermiculite on the top of a cake to help fruits grow from the top. The wet top of the cake incourages mushrooms to grow on the top because the more water the bigger/healthier fruits. Mycelium will grow mushrooms from wherever the most water is available.

I havent read this anywhere but i would assume that putting the cakes directly on the perlite would encourage mushroom growth on the bottom because water is more plentiful. Just put them on tin foil, saran wrap or anything that wont leak.

Fd

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

InvisibleZestyMycelium
journeyman
 User Gallery
Re: what to put cakes on in chamber? Lots of ?'s [Re: Fd3000]
    #737804 - 07/10/02 08:02 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

...And make sure that if you put them on foil, you fold, or cut the piece so that it isnt extending too far from the sides of the cake. (or better yet, make sure the cake completely covers it.) I had a case where shroom starting growing toward the light reflecting off the foil!

Zesty

InvisibleTerrarium_Guy
Sensei

Loc: ...beyond the sun...
Re: what to put cakes on in chamber? Lots of ?'s [Re: ZestyMycelium]
    #738029 - 07/11/02 12:04 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

When my friend grew from cakes he used the plastic lids that they make for the ball jars. They were perfect because he could case the bottom easily in the lid with damp verm. He got them at the supermarket, they came in packs of eight.

Good luck.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Offlinejdtwelve
Loc: Central MI
    #738085 - 07/11/02 01:32 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I have had great success with chicken wire. You can bend it and make very sturdy shelves to maximize your space. Also I have found with perlite that the more things that you have sitting on it, the more likely it is to grow bacteria, mold, fungus, algae, etc. so chicken wire is a great solution. Home depot has it for cheap. Make sure you don't buy wire that's too big/small, I use the stuff with 1/16 inch holes. That way, I can use it for silica drying, terrariums, as a barrier when autoclaving, etc.

Hope that helps, I have had great success with it

Edited by jdtwelve (07/11/02 02:25 AM)

OfflineDarkTranquility
journeyman

Re: what to put cakes on in chamber? Lots of ?'s [Re: jdtwelve]
    #738095 - 07/11/02 01:45 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Why not put H2o2 ' ed vermiculite on the inside of the lid to the very top and put the cake snuggled in it, and surround it with the same wet treated verm so it can use some of that humidity as well..... if you are really worried about the rust, maybe you can lay a couple of skinny topperware on top of your perlirte with a layer of treated verm at the bottom inside of them, and snuggle your cakes into it and surround them with verm as well.
The rust is never a problem though, just put a thck verm layer to cover almost to the top of the lid.

"Lay your fears to rest, let your dreams awake"

--------------------
"Every picture hods a tale.
Every shade tells of a thousand words.
The artistry of living chaos is
pictured in the poets tears.
The final concept
Is all but a thought away. "

Offlinerockpup
Old skater punk
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere or anywhere
Re: what to put cakes on in chamber? Lots of ?'s [Re: DarkTranquility]
    #25241775 - 05/31/18 10:31 PM (5 years, 9 months ago)

I use a dry tray for dish's-plastic wire mesh thing and place cakes on top of that keeping raised from verm-nothing under-is this not cool-I was hoping shroom's grow from bottom also?

This post is old as dirt BUT i really never thought about this topic much I hope someone reply's as I am not sure if this is a good thing I am doing.Shrooms are growing on them now...kinda wondering should I put foil under ???

--------------------
SKATE OR DIE!
RIP 1989-2001-The best of time's
I miss molly.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix