Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Valerian Root and Anxiety- Follow up
    #7071283 - 06/20/07 07:05 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I made this a new post for those with anxiety who might be considering alternatives to medication or are just looking for some help.. Please read the whole thing to consider if this drug is right for you.

Ive been taking Valerian capsules for three days now.. I have noticed immediate changes in my levels of anxiety....
---I am also 160 lbs, white, M, 25 yo... and somewhat of a lightweight with other substances. Usually I feel the effects of any drug on a more intense level than others.

For anyone who has anxiety and knows what it feels like.. after taking Valerian, its more like ill still have some trigger thoughts that make me feel an initial onset of anxiety, but the physical gut wrenching feelings of fear, or that something is wrong is greatly diminished...if not almost completely.

My thoughts also have been under more control, and I can talk myself out of a bad situation (that would otherwise lead to that feeling of impending fear,doom...) very quickly, and move my thoughts along without getting stuck on any one thing...
This is probably because I don't have to deal with the physical symptoms of anxiety, and can focus on my thoughts more, which in their lack of rationale are more easily controlled.

I was diagnosed with OCD recently (without the C) - and was given celexa, which I turned down...
then I was recently given Prozac, and a benzodiazepine, Klonopin.

Haven't taken either as of yet, as I am somewhat comfortable with my anxiety right now. However, I am considering trying combinations of two or all three of these meds, especially if things get a little out of control again.

As for the reports of whether or not Valerian is a safe drug to take, I have done quite a bit of research... and found some significant data supporting the idea that compounds in valerian root do increase the amount of GABA (the inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain associated with anxiety), by producing more of it, and inhibiting the uptake by mimicking gaba due to their similar chemical compositions.

However, I have also some conflicting sources on the cytotoxic effects of Valerian root, and its ability to alter DNA, RNA, and spermatozoa... and some other things... in higher doses for prolonged periods of time.
I will post one article I found very interesting on the subject for those who are interested. It has links to many other articles and would appreciate anyone who has found some studies that can either confirm or deny the safety of this drug.
I was very happy to find something that helps rid my anxiety, but am unsure of how long I will continue a potentially dangerous substance.

Study
Studies on the cytological and biochemical effects of valerian in somatic and germ cells of Swiss albino mice.

good article search database google scholar

------------

Edit - the link only leads you to an abstract... I have attached the full PDF of this file.

Edited by mickdawg666 (07/31/07 02:57 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline0xYg3n
topdawg
 User Gallery

Re: Valerian Root and Anxiety- Follow up [Re: ManianFH]
    #7080580 - 06/22/07 05:06 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I use that stuff too. I haven't tried Kava Kava in a while.

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Valerian Root and Anxiety- Follow up [Re: 0xYg3n]
    #7081081 - 06/22/07 07:06 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

it is not a great idea to take pharmaceuticals

whatever you are going through can be handled by sticking with nature, because people do it all the time and so can you.

the pharmaceutical industry to a large extent strips the entire individuals power away by telling them that everything that is wrong with them can only be cured by their saving grace, that you must give money for it and you must do it your entire life!

it is a bit like Christianity, they throw a devil at you to keep you at bay then give you a savior. Not to knock on Jesus he's great, I'm just saying.......... why give your power away by equating it molecular dogma? Molecules and chemicals and neurotransmitters, I'm not knocking the science, I'm knocking the motive, they are a systematica dogma designed to make the individual feel powerless?

Oh poor baby you are a sleepy 13 year old? Take zoloft your whole life ! No for real, I was a sleepy 13 year old. I just happened to be sleepy, and they put me on zoloft! They will hand the stuff out like candy because they are payed to and because they are comfortable with the cozy black and white model that chemical causality gives them. But it's not JUST chemistry, its a multi-faceted approach. There are always multiple causes interacting with one another.

Stick with nature, it knows how to do these things better than we do, and should you feel like not taking your supplements well, I don't think they will cause you hardly any noticeable withdrawals. But those SSRIs may kill you if you quit them suddenly and weaning off makes you withdrawal like crazy!

Meditation is a really good way of fixing this and cutting the problem right out at its source, too.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

InvisibleGalvie_Flu
 User Gallery

Re: Valerian Root and Anxiety- Follow up [Re: leery11]
    #7081191 - 06/22/07 07:41 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Kava and St. John's Wart are good alternatives, I take both in tea form.

OfflineManianFH
living in perverty
 User Gallery

Re: Valerian Root and Anxiety- Follow up [Re: Galvie_Flu]
    #7083186 - 06/23/07 10:50 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

ive heard good things about st. johns wort also, however, some sources have said you should drink more than I would care to.. to receive effects...

and it may be unsafe to combine with antidepressants, particularly due to the possibility of Serotonin toxicity (in high doses)...

Thanks for the info thou.

I have also heard, Green Tea in itself contains GABAergic compounds, as wel as GABA itself... once again GABA being one of the key neurotransmitters associated with anxiety.

Here is an interesting document/study I found listing like a hundred or some odd holisitic approaches for relieving anxiety... I havent read it yet as I dont have time, so it may not be that many... but ill list it here... It also states which are the most successful or something like that.

--------------------
notapillow said: "you are going about this endeavor all wrong. clear your mind of useless fear and concern. buy the ticket, take the ride, and all that.... "

ChrisWho said: "It's all about the journey, not the destination."

Edited by mickdawg666 (07/31/07 02:56 PM)

Invisibleredtailedhawk
Explorer of the Mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: The Old Continent
Re: Valerian Root and Anxiety- Follow up [Re: ManianFH]
    #7367020 - 09/04/07 09:30 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Hey Mick. Could you post a follow-up on your use of valerian herb? Do you still take it? Did the effects change through time? Thanks!

--------------------

"Who are you who live in all these many forms? You're death that captures all. You too are the source of all that's gonna be born. You're glory, mercy, peace, truth. You give calm a spirit, understanding, courage, the contented heart."

Offlinepurplegreens
peaceful
Female User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin Station
Re: Valerian Root and Anxiety- Follow up [Re: redtailedhawk]
    #7367232 - 09/04/07 11:08 AM (16 years, 6 months ago)

yeah and what dosage were/are you taking?

--------------------

All I know is something like a bird within her sang

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Buy Kava Tea