Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP, Kava Kava, St. John's Wort, Valerian Root

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDarkFluFFy
Vapid Soul

Teen Anxiety
    #3819322 - 02/22/05 11:07 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Is it normal for teens to have high amounts of anxiety? And does it usually fade away? Im 18 and still am dealing with some anxiety problems. Some has faided though.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Teen Anxiety [Re: DarkFluFFy]
    #3819365 - 02/22/05 11:12 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

We live in anxious times, imo, and I think most people are experiencing an uncomfortable (however managable) amount of anxiety.

If you too are experiencing it, regardless of your age, you're pretty normal. You should, however, look into ways of dealing with it and reducing it. Specifically with herbs, exercise, an educated diet, and choosing the right school or job and the right people to be around.

:sun:

Offlineummikko
sika joka eilenn? on pelkk?sika

Loc: Finland
    #3821009 - 02/23/05 07:10 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

a)Yes. b)In many cases, yes.

--------------------
"All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a poison and a remedy." -Paracelsius

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
    #3821023 - 02/23/05 07:26 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I'm also 18 and just started taking St. John's Wort for similar problems. Tired of doctors pushing chemical SSRIs down my throat. I heard SJW works as both an SSRI and MAOI (which technically should be a bad interaction, but I guess it's unique) it's pretty cool that there's an herb that mimics the effects of both traditional antidepressant types and has little side effects. Anyway I'm doing this trial run right now and I'll tell you how it goes. I'm also considering a valerian/skullcap/passion flower medication (actually sold as a sleep aid) I've heard good things about all 3 of these herbs and anxiety/depression. And as a third backup I was considering Kava, but it seems alot harder to find.

Anybody have experience with herbal anti-depressants/anti-anxiety remedies to share?

--------------------
GET MAD SWAG MONEY BIG PIMPIN

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
    #3821069 - 02/23/05 08:16 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

everyone has a certain amount of anxiety to deal with, it just depends how much you have and how you deal with. if it feels like you have too much and you can't deal with it then i would try some natural herbal stuff like recommended above.. and worst scenerio if the anxiety was too bad and those things didnt work then you could try a pharmaceutical antidepressant. but yeah, id try that natural stuff, like s.j.w. first as that has very little side effects. In recent testing, comparisons to the pharmaceutical antidepressant paxil showed that s.j.w. actually had equal or better results.. although i believe that study was for depression, but that will certainly help with anxiety, and other common problems that pharm antidepressants help with. i will be trying s.j.w. shortly i think actually.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

OfflinekronnyQ
SuperstudExtraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Anytown USA
Re: Teen Anxiety [Re: Locus]
    #3821249 - 02/23/05 10:03 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yes definitely try the herbal stuff before you go to any prescription meds.

Herbals I have seen work wonders for ppl: SJW, 5-HTP, Valerian, Ginseng

Also exercise is a great way to crush anxiety, but I shouldn't talk because I don't exercise at all :tongue:

OfflinePsillyNilly
Stranger
Re: Teen Anxiety [Re: Wysefool]
    #3821706 - 02/23/05 12:38 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Wysefool said:
I'm also 18 and just started taking St. John's Wort for similar problems. Tired of doctors pushing chemical SSRIs down my throat. I heard SJW works as both an SSRI and MAOI (which technically should be a bad interaction, but I guess it's unique) it's pretty cool that there's an herb that mimics the effects of both traditional antidepressant types and has little side effects. Anyway I'm doing this trial run right now and I'll tell you how it goes. I'm also considering a valerian/skullcap/passion flower medication (actually sold as a sleep aid) I've heard good things about all 3 of these herbs and anxiety/depression. And as a third backup I was considering Kava, but it seems alot harder to find.

Anybody have experience with herbal anti-depressants/anti-anxiety remedies to share?

If one can master meditative practices then you can control anxiety as well as other things---but this takes experience, St. Johns wart is pretty good but gotta take it over a period of time, its not gonna be fast acting, then again there aint nothin like some good old fashioned Zbars---by the way Wysefool (not like it matters now) but if you are 18 then you joined the shroomery when you were 15?---(reged: 12/26/02  :blush:)  Ther is a broad spectrum of anxiety levels, depending on how high you score on the psychological bar graph test insitues what therapy is necessary and most beneficial.  All human beings do possess a certain level of anxiety but treatment is only needed in extreme cases.

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
Re: Teen Anxiety [Re: PsillyNilly]
    #3821849 - 02/23/05 01:12 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Ya I've been practicing breathing techniques to calm anxiety, breathing in through the nose and into the belly then out the mouth, imagining breathing in the positive and out the negative. Looks a little weird to practice in public but hey, it helps.

No clue what level anxiety I'm at but it does affect my life quite a bit, always avoiding class even though the work doesn't bother me, basically avoiding contact with people in any situation. Dunno if I'm experiencing completely regular teen anxiety or if I'm a bit over the edge.

Oh and by my count I had been 16 for 1 month when I joined :smile:

--------------------
GET MAD SWAG MONEY BIG PIMPIN

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Loc: Eating pizza
    #3822826 - 02/23/05 04:57 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DarkFluFFy said:
Is it normal for teens to have high amounts of anxiety? And does it usually fade away? Im 18 and still am dealing with some anxiety problems. Some has faided though.

I guess it's "normal" to experience anxiety, depending on the type of anxiety. It's normal to get anxious from stress, but sometimes anxiety can stem from latent seeds sown. I personally don't know for a fact where my anxiety came from, but the best scapegoat seems to be blaming it on quitting an SSRI a few years back. Since then, I've had some horrible anxiety issues. I'm now completely SSRI free and just started taking SJW yesterday.

If you experience anxiety, I'd avoid certain activities and substances and participate in others. Exercise is great for relieving stress.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Teen Anxiety [Re: Wysefool]
    #3823281 - 02/23/05 06:26 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I would go with VALERIAN root powder. Make a tea with quality water three times each day.

To get a deeper understanding of herbs in general I highly recommend the book:
The Holistic Herbal by David Hofmann.

This book covers not only anxiety but several other issues. I really can't over-recommend it enough.

OfflineMycoJunkie
Psilanthropist

Loc: .4merica
Re: Teen Anxiety [Re: kronnyQ]
    #3823600 - 02/23/05 07:37 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

kronnyQ said:
Yes definitely try the herbal stuff before you go to any prescription meds.

Herbals I have seen work wonders for ppl: SJW, 5-HTP, Valerian, Ginseng

Also exercise is a great way to crush anxiety, but I shouldn't talk because I don't exercise at all :tongue:

Yeah man.. stay away from prescription drugs.

I hate hearing people talk about their anxiety, and that maybe they need to see a psychologist/psychiatrist, and be prescribed some SSRIs.

Its like... maybe you just need to smoke some fuckin weed.

--------------------
:cussing::whip:

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Re: Teen Anxiety [Re: MycoJunkie]
    #3824524 - 02/23/05 10:50 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Using marijuana can drastically worsen some people's anxiety though, so I wouldn't recommend it.

A lot of people will smoke marijuana to eliminate stress, though. I wouldn't.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

OfflineGog
hapless andhappy

Re: Teen Anxiety [Re: Society]
    #3824584 - 02/23/05 10:59 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Maybe instead of trying to "fix" your problems with outside sources, you should go from the inside and face them yourself.

OfflineDarkFluFFy
Vapid Soul

Re: Teen Anxiety [Re: Gog]
    #3824676 - 02/23/05 11:12 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

thanks for the tips alot! its weird i have the worst obsessive thought. Its so weird and i cant stop it. My jaw has overgrown and I have this underbite as the orthodontist says. He says I will need jaw surgery if it grows any more. Like i think that my jaw is growing as i speek and im going to soon need jaw surgery. I am physicly pushing my jaw back with my hand trying to not let it grow which causes my muscles to hurt. Some reason I believe that if i push my jaw back it wont grow anymore. Now i feel anxious about forcing on my jaw and believe that my jaw will grow more. I really dont want surgery. my muscles are hurting. I feel like rolling in to a ball and screaming! This is fucked up I dont want to do drugs to fix it but i just dont know what to think.

OfflineSWEDEN
Miracle of Science

Loc: PNW
    #3829253 - 02/24/05 09:14 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Surgery sucks, I know, but would you rather live with a deformed jaw? I need jaw surgery as well, but only because my jaw did not grow enough and it pops every time I chew... But I can live with that, and I can live with the Vicoden-dulled pain of post surgery. My advice is to stop worrying so much, because jaw surgery is non-invasive and will heal quickly.

--------------------

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

#3829273 - 02/24/05 09:16 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Dental problems really blow.  I had braces for almost 3 years as a teen.  I had teeth behind teeth. :frown:

I doubt that pushing your jaw back will have any good outcome.  You probably should just let things happen the way they will and avoid drugs. 

I feel like rolling in a ball and screaming too.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Offlineaustin_72283
Mr. or Sir
Male

Loc: west
    #3829385 - 02/24/05 09:32 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i get anxiety when i smoke weed and the days after but thats it

--------------------
a job worth doing is a job worth doing right.

InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
Re: Teen Anxiety [Re: austin_72283]
    #3830479 - 02/24/05 11:59 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i get actual pain in my eye and nose, mostly my left eye..it's nearly unbareable and i get real fucked up in a very fucking bad way... when i smoke weed. so i cant smoke weed. been this way for nearly two years now, wasn't for about two years before that. and i have no fucking idea why. i am so fucked up.

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

InvisibleSociety
Pizza Guy

Re: Teen Anxiety [Re: Locus]
    #3835244 - 02/26/05 12:55 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

When I'm "high" on marijuana, it merely accentuates my current feelings of misery. I lose complete contact with reality, wish I were dead every second of the "high". This has happened since the first time I quit Lexapro. Before I started taking it; I would get very enjoyable highs where I would giggle, think, relax, socialze, listen to music, et cetera. I don't know what the hell happened to me, but smoking marijuana is one of the worst descisions I could make.

--------------------
Delicious Pizza

Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
    #3837304 - 02/26/05 04:05 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

im 21 and still have anxiety. its psycholigically painful because im never comfortable and cant just relax. i also have insomnia mainly because of anxiety. with bad sleep, bad anxiety, bad diet, and bad depression, it can be very tough to get through the days

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: 5-HTP, Kava Kava, St. John's Wort, Valerian Root

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being