Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Kava Kava, Valerian Root

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineGillette
Jaded
 User Gallery

Anxiety
    #4455459 - 07/26/05 02:36 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I am almost always in a state of anxiety or stress. I feel anxious and panicked, my heart racing, butterflies in my stomache, generally wanting to just sit and cry. Sometimes it happens around other people, but it happens most often alone....I was breifly (very breifly) on meds for anxiety years ago (like when I was 17) but now my doctor see's no reason to reperscribe them. I try to relax, mediate, do yoga, get outside anything to fix it...but its all very temporary....I'm not really sure what to do.

--------------------
~Earth is the Insane Asylum of the Universe~

A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Anxiety [Re: Gillette]
    #4455533 - 07/26/05 02:52 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

What's going on in your daily life? I used to experience the symptoms you are describing when I was suffering from "Hurry Disease." Basically it is a physical and emotional state of hypervigilance caused by excess cortisol. I was stressing out about EVERYTHING, and constantly in a rush.

I found that simplfying my life (i.e. paring down to the bare minimum of activities, especially appointments) and SLOWING DOWN was the best way to relieve my anxiety.

At least in my experience, occasional meditation/yoga was not enough. Only a global change in attitude helped.

OfflineKristiMidocean
fattie whale
Female User Gallery

Loc: Texas
Re: Anxiety [Re: Veritas]
    #4455549 - 07/26/05 02:57 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I am a very outgoing and perky person that no one would ever think that I have anxity issues. Which I dont when I am with people But when I am alone and with my thought I have major issues with anxity. I start to get nauses, dizzy, and even sometimes I cry because I hate being in that state of mind/

What I do when I feel it coming on I get up and do something to distract myself. What is doing it is your thought.... Distract your mind from these thoughts and it might help. It does for me

Good luck

--------------------
:smile: I live for LNC :smile:

InvisibleIrradiated_Feces
doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Loc: Great White North
Re: Anxiety [Re: KristiMidocean]
    #4456045 - 07/26/05 04:54 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I gotta say... that's horrible advice. Not being able to relax alone is a sure sign you've got some problems with your life. You shouldn't have to constantly distract yourself to not feel bad. Maybe you should take a retreat and be alone with yourself for an entire weekend and try and work out why you feel so shitty. Although you'd have to be a very strong individual to determine that a) there is something wrong with you, b) you can get to the root of your problem, and c) you can figure out a way to cure youself and go on with your life without worrying about being alone with yourself.

As for you Gillette, I don't really know. My ex had anxiety issues that she was on meds for, She would be on the verge of breakdowns in social situations before she got started on meds though. If you really think you need them again, tell your doctor to do his job and prescribe you something, or find another doc.

Invisibleredtailedhawk
Explorer of the Mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: The Old Continent
Re: Anxiety [Re: KristiMidocean]
    #4456075 - 07/26/05 05:04 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

If you need meds than try herbs like Valerian or Kava Kava first. They are much cheaper and nonaddictive. I also recommend you go to your local library and pick up some books like "Overcoming anxiety" and "Beyond anxiety and phobia" by Bourne. There's some golden advice in this two books. If you're up to it (financially) a good therapist could help you a lot too. Also check out Related Threads below and do a search on anxiety issues on this Message Board to find out more excellent advice. 

Good luck and don't give up!  :thumbup:

--------------------

"Who are you who live in all these many forms? You're death that captures all. You too are the source of all that's gonna be born. You're glory, mercy, peace, truth. You give calm a spirit, understanding, courage, the contented heart."

OfflineHarbinger
The Power of theRiff Compels Me

Loc: Far Away
    #4456639 - 07/26/05 07:21 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

I have your same problem. Start exercising, it helps alot. Run a couple miles a day or something.  That is the only thing I've found that actually makes a difference.....oh yeah, and xanax :wink:

--------------------
Click the pic to hear some songs I've recorded.

:rockon:

InvisibleAdden
Saprotrophic Specimen
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Amongst the Dunes
    #4456651 - 07/26/05 07:23 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Welcome to Hell. Good luck.

I'd try everything under the sun before medication if I could go back.

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Loc: Ice patches that last for...
Re: Anxiety [Re: Irradiated_Feces]
    #4456735 - 07/26/05 07:48 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Irradiated_Feces said:
I gotta say... that's horrible advice. Not being able to relax alone is a sure sign you've got some problems with your life. You shouldn't have to constantly distract yourself to not feel bad. Maybe you should take a retreat and be alone with yourself for an entire weekend and try and work out why you feel so shitty. Although you'd have to be a very strong individual to determine that a) there is something wrong with you, b) you can get to the root of your problem, and c) you can figure out a way to cure youself and go on with your life without worrying about being alone with yourself.

As for you Gillette, I don't really know. My ex had anxiety issues that she was on meds for, She would be on the verge of breakdowns in social situations before she got started on meds though. If you really think you need them again, tell your doctor to do his job and prescribe you something, or find another doc.

I'm sorry, but I have to say, that isn't the greatest advice  :thumbdown:

Everyone nowadays has there problems solved by a pill...and I think it's bull.

Don't listen gillette.  Personally, going to get a pill from the doctor is like admitting defeat.  You CAN make it go away yourself, no need for a pill to do it.  :heart:  :smile:

I suggest facing what is stressing you.  Try to pin point what exactly is doing it and when you finally have, eliminate that source of stress.  Any big life changes going on?  This could add to it.  Meditation really helps too.  Just learning to relax in general...it is something you have to practice.

For the longest time I couldn't think of anything that was really causing my anxiety.  It took me forever to pin point it.  The mushrooms personally helped with that.  Meditation helped me to relax a lot also.

Good luck with it though.  Don't try to keep it all bottled in ALL the time.  Sometimes it IS good to just let all the frustration out and cry  :smile:  Or write down what your feeling, or talk to someone if you have someone who you'll feel comfortable with.  :heart:

OfflineDeviate
Re: Anxiety [Re: Spooge]
    #4456952 - 07/26/05 08:56 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

ive had a lot of problems with anxiety, the only thing that really has helped me is spiritual teachings like buddhism. what i have to do sometimes is just completely give up throw away all my desires as hopeless and accept death. when i can truly let go like that i finally relax because i see the universe will do with me as it wishes and all i have to do is be. just remember you don't ever really need to do anything except be. the rest will take care of itself.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #4457417 - 07/26/05 10:51 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Drink some peppermint/chamomile tea, take a hot bath, meditate, get a massage :smile:

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #4457736 - 07/26/05 11:56 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

welcome to my workd it hapepns to me all the time... lately though i seem to have gotten rid of it all, proabbly beacuse i dont really have a job..... and have removed all stressful BS from my life, well most of it...

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

InvisibleIrradiated_Feces
doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Loc: Great White North
    #4459322 - 07/27/05 10:19 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

entityexperiment said:
Quote:

Irradiated_Feces said:

I'm sorry, but I have to say, that isn't the greatest advice  :thumbdown:

Everyone nowadays has there problems solved by a pill...and I think it's bull.

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: Anxiety [Re: Irradiated_Feces]
    #4460022 - 07/27/05 02:37 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

i've been having some real bad anxiety lately and i'm starting to think it's just from too much pot.

i felt less anxious while flat out tripping and thinking that i'm about to die then i did when i started to come back down to my "normal" state of mind.

and it's just like random physiological stuff, i'll just be sitting around and i feel jittery for no good reason, and my mind seems to make up fears to explain it or something (i.e. things are out to get me, etc)

i don't like it.

--------------------
I am the MacDaddy of Heimlich County, I play it Straight Up Yo!

....I embrace my desire to feel the rhythm, to feel connected enough to step aside and weep like a widow, to feel inspired, to fathom the power, to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain, to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human......
Om Namah Shivaya, I tell you What!

InvisibleAdden
Saprotrophic Specimen
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Amongst the Dunes
Re: Anxiety [Re: leery11]
    #4460523 - 07/27/05 04:57 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

If you study the problem - why you're getting anxious - you can logically work yourself to the end of it, and ideally, unravel it so it never happens again.

I still have general anxiety (occasionally) and paranoia, but thinking things through and breaking them down lessened my anxiety by more than half.

I dont know if this is any help, but it works for me. When I meditate, I focus on a symbol.. say for example, a sword in a stone. I calm my breaths, focus on my heart rhythm and reach a state of peace with a completely clear head. After enough focus on the symbol, and the physiological effects on your body, you should be able to call upon it in your mind's eye and reach that zen state of normal breathing, heart rhythm, and a clear head.

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #4460889 - 07/27/05 06:57 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Well gillette I'm not really sure if I have an answer to your anxiety problems (I don't, actually) but I just want you to know you're not the only one who has to put up with a high level of anxiety in day-to-day life! :heart:

The only fix I've found so far is to smoke pot every day...which I realize is just another way to medicate the anxiety away. It works, though.

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
Re: Anxiety [Re: leery11]
    #4461265 - 07/27/05 08:55 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

leery11 said:
i've been having some real bad anxiety lately and i'm starting to think it's just from too much pot.

Yeah, I had to totaly cut pot out of my life due to it causing anxiety and panic, it's very common. A lot of friends and work coleagues who smoked the stuff had to give up for the same reason.

Try doing a google search with the words "cannabis anxiety panic paranoia" and you'll find loads of people that have had to stop smoking the stuff.

Don't know whether Gillete smokes or not though  :shrug:

--------------------

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

Offlinecrunchytoast
oppositional

Loc: aporia
    #4461730 - 07/27/05 11:03 PM (11 years, 4 months ago)

this post will repeat some of what others have said and will add a few things:

Quote:

I'm not really sure what to do.

you should do whatever you think is best.  some things that help other people:

meditation, exercise, regular sleep, a low sugar diet, a journal where you talk about feelings, talking about feelings with a friend or someone in your family, talking to a psychologist you feel trusting around, removing things that cause too much stress from your life (if possible).

regarding finding someone to give you meds: if your doctor won't there is one who will.  if you want meds, you could keep asking doctors until you find one who will.  i doubt you'd have to ask many, maybe only one.  if you feel like meds are your best option, i don't see anything wrong with doing what feels right to you.  you may or may not be able to make it go away by yourself.

remembering to breathe slowly helps some people when they start to panic.  sometimes breathing quickly can cause a panic attack or simply increase anxiety.

marijuana can be psychologically addictive, especially if used to medicate anxiety i believe, but it may help.

using psychedelics may help too, but it can really backfire if you're not sure what you're doing.  it could cause a bad trip that leaves you in a worse state than you started.  some people including myself find occasional tripping helpful however.

being 100% free from anxiety may or may not be possible.
it may be that you may only be able to be less anxious, or be anxious less often. 

Quote:

Sometimes it IS good to just let all the frustration out and cry

this is a very good suggestion IMO :thumbup:

and on a different note-

gillette would you like to talk about why you're so anxious?

--------------------
"consensus on the nature of equilibrium is usually established by periodic conflict." -henry kissinger

OfflineKidShelleen
watch thesensations
    #4473135 - 07/30/05 10:42 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Hi,

I think it's tough NOT to be anxious in our culture.  We have revved it up to a fever pitch.  But it can be done.  You have gotten some good advice already, and to some extent I'll be repeating it.  But as for the meds, why?  Why would you want to start down that road unless you have exhausted every other possibility?  It is so limiting.  You can use this  as an opportunity to make your life better, to expand your self-knowledge.  There is something for you to learn here that you can use the rest of your life.  You can't learn anything from anxiety meds.  So here is what I suggest:

Step one - finding the cause

1. Examine the relationships in your life.  Do you have open, loving relationships with the people close to you?  If not, that can generate anxiety and the anxiety may be a sign that you need to make some changes in that area.

2. Examine your environment.  Is your workplace a hell-hole?  If so, how can you make it better?  Maybe you need to change jobs.  How about your living situation?  Is your home peaceful or is it like the arcade at Chuck E Cheese?  Try and make your environment peaceful. 

3. Examine what you are doing to yourself.  Too much coffee?  Too much pot?  Too much tobacco?  High carb diet?  You may be driving your anxiety with the chemicals you are ingesting. 

4.  Examine your lifestyle.  Are you perhaps an active person by nature but not getting enough activity?  To much TeeVee and not enough walking?

Step two - managing the anxiety

1.  Exercise.  Strenuous exercise that really pushes your limits will divert your nervous energy to something positive.  Running, swimming, or some other aerobic exercise will do it.  Serious weight lifting will too.  By serious, I mean multiple sets pushed to failure like the big boys do it.  Just going through the motions isn't going to do much for you there.  Whatever you do here needs to be tough enough that it  dominates your body.

2. Relaxation techniques.  Yoga is outstanding for this.  It actually can be a strenuous exercise AND a relaxation technique.  You can also get biofeedback equipment to train yourself to let go of your anxiety.  There is even a biofeedback computer game that can help you with this.  It's called Journey to Wild Devine (or something like that).  It actually measures your heart rate and galvanic skin response (a measure of anxiety) and the game responds to changes in your state of relaxation.  I haven't tried this game but I may get it for my kids to help them start to get in touch with their body states.  Meditation can also be a relaxation technique, but it is so much more that I am going to give it a separate paragraph.

3. Meditation.  This, in my opinion, is the answer.  Even if you  are surrounded by bad relationships, a stressful environment, and can't do anything else to redirect nervous tension, meditation WILL resolve your anxiety problems.  But I don't mean some half-baked sit-down-and space-out for a few minutes once in awhile.  I mean dedicated daily meditation practice with some instruction in proper techniques.    There are many kinds of meditation and most will be effective if practiced with diligence.  You can probably find instruction in your town.  If not, you can buy guided meditation tapes by mail.  If you want advice on types of meditation, PM me.  I will make copies of tapes for you if you like.  The thing about meditation is that it will actually allow you to literally unravel the anxiety.  And make some other very positive changes in the process.

Good Luck! :heart:

KS

--------------------
"Who would be free themselves must strike the blow" -Lord Byron

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Anxiety [Re: KidShelleen]
    #4473208 - 07/30/05 11:36 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

Great advice. :thumbup: :heart:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineHBS
Male

Re: Anxiety [Re: Icelander]
    #4473212 - 07/30/05 11:40 AM (11 years, 4 months ago)

KidShelleen -

that was one of the most concise posts about anxiety i have seen, good job :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Kava Kava, Valerian Root

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being