Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
How do I meditate?
    #5765708 - 06/18/06 08:14 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I would really love to just clear my mind then let it wander...but I don't know where to start. I've done a little research and found a wide variety of styles, so I'll start with my goal. I want to get to a very deep level of thinking. So deep that I'm not really me anymore, but I'm everything. Kind of like I'm sitting back and reading my mind like a book, or watching it like a movie. Not like a psilocybin induced meditation/ego death, but a sober, calmer, state. Any tips for a newbie? I'm extremely curious as to the benefits of deep meditation but I feel like I'm too attatched to myself to go that deep. It takes me over 15-20 minutes just to fall asleep because I'm constantly thinking about things. I've done enough psychadelics to understand that there's more to the mind that what I percieve, and I want to get there by the power of my own mind. After all, even when you dose on mushrooms or LSD, in the end it's your mind that's showing this to you...

Edited by Newbie (06/18/06 08:15 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: How do I meditate? [Re: Newbie]
    #5765960 - 06/18/06 11:08 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

ever tried a white noise machine?

once you learn the sound of static you can make it without a machine.

good place to start, but ultimately your goal is blankness and clarity.

don't forget to keep fantasizing and imagining, though! Those are important as well.

The only reason you need to learn to meditate is for clarity and concentration. That way you control your fantasies and not the other way around.

also, it is nice to clear your head so you can go to sleep.

Offlinefunnybunny
Saboten Bomber
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Spain
Re: How do I meditate? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #5766513 - 06/19/06 01:33 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Repeating mantras is useful, too.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #5767588 - 06/19/06 10:57 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Meditation can be fairly difficult.
It took me several attempts before I had any success.
Here is a link to My Meditation

I hope this helps.

The key to becoming good at meditation is practice.

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

OfflineCherk
Fashionable
Male User Gallery

Loc: International Flag
    #5767924 - 06/19/06 12:50 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

be silent and still, then breathe

this is meditation

everything else is a gimmick

thoughts will come and thoughts will go, watch what the thoughts do to you, but abstain from letting them do anything to you (this is why the practice of non-attachment is important if you wish to make real progress), but when you can't help it and a thought makes you feel happy/sad analyze the impact you will on yourself

when the analyzation reaches a dead end, and it will, stop the analyzation, excess analyzation leads to complications further on down the path

sincere seekers will eventually deal with these complications and in doing so will make great strides, but those that are not so sincere will leave the complications and dress them in neurosis so they look pretty and nice

at the dead end you may wish to stop at this point and get on with your day, in doing this you will begin to attract the subtle nuance that will eventually help you get past this dead end

or at the dead end you may wish to continue with your stillness, silence, and breathing, in this way you will come to more dead ends and start to see an emerging pattern which will, unto an important puzzle piece

the puzzle piece could mean that you've been a closet homosexual for 40 years, or that you need to stop eating raisins in the afternoon.

any meditation is good, but if you sincerely desire to realize your divine nature then you must develope a steady practice

--------------------
I have considered such matters.

SIKE

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

#5801787 - 06/29/06 01:48 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I am trying to learn to meditate as well, and am having trouble. Ever since i tripped mushrooms ive been able to close my eyes and see mild CEVs, and with my eyes open i can bring myself to see melting/breathing walls, to certain degrees. But when i concentrate too much they disapeer/go away. To see these hallucinations, i have to zone out or something, its hard to explain.
but sometimes i feel like the closest ive been to clearing my mind is by trying to see this way. sometimes i attempt to see how strong i can make the hallucinations become, through this "nonconcentration" So to all you who know how to medtitate, am i on to something here or what? Has anyone used this method meditate?

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

Offlinemichael_lifshitz
Student
Male User Gallery

Loc: here
Re: How do I meditate? [Re: daytripper23]
    #5803049 - 06/29/06 12:14 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: How do I meditate? [Re: michael_lifshitz]
    #5803106 - 06/29/06 12:30 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

reading your mind like a book, separating your self from your Self, not a calm process...

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

OfflineDinahTheCat
Seeker of Truth
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia
Re: How do I meditate? [Re: Lion]
    #5803245 - 06/29/06 01:08 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Usually solitude from society, which allows one to think as an indiviual, and not as a mass of conformity. In essence, your most potent mediation may develop from misunderstanding or confusion of certain things or siuations, and when in solitude away from the problem, you let your thoughts float around patiently.... patience and understanding are usually the keys to mediation.

--------------------
"Sanity is not statistical."

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: How do I meditate? [Re: DinahTheCat]
    #5804319 - 06/29/06 06:56 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

yeah, I had to spend at least 5 years in isolation from society in order to begin becoming an adept.

InvisibleWIZOLZ
Poor with Needs
Male User Gallery

Loc: Monte Carlo
Re: How do I meditate? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #5804943 - 06/29/06 10:50 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Meditation is becoming a regular compulsion for me now. Im constantly closing my eyes and trying to re asess the "here and now." Trying to be mindfull, and disconecting from the outer world for a few moments usually helps me in this way. It isn't actually meditation though.

I also use it to get rid of head aches after prolonged stimulas abuse..I like to feel half on the verge of sleeping and half consious, just a pervasive peacefullness and calmness, focus on breathing. I cant stand doing that crazy leg maneouver, so I just sit in my chair.

--------------------
---------o----o----o-------o------------------------o--o-o-
----------------------------------------------------------------
Requim for a Dream - Paul Oakenfold
---------------------------------------------------------------
"The mis/abuse of any form of power, is the worst form of ignorance"
-------------------------------------------------------------
WIZOLZ - Lover with a Killer's Smile

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Re: How do I meditate? [Re: WIZOLZ]
    #5805555 - 06/30/06 01:21 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

hey interesting info guys. anyone know if i am on the right track by embracing hallucinations, like i said on my previous post? the only reason i think this is the most clear headed ive felt is when i am doing this.

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

OfflineDinahTheCat
Seeker of Truth
Male User Gallery

Re: How do I meditate? [Re: daytripper23]
    #5807280 - 06/30/06 04:56 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

IT helps me from becoming overstressed.

--------------------

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: How do I meditate? [Re: DinahTheCat]
    #5807291 - 06/30/06 05:01 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

i learned as a little kid to meditate (before i knew what that was) by closing my eyes, and figuring out what color i was seeing.

its not white, its not black.. its actually void of any color (unless its bright, then you may see the pink from the blood in your eyelids :smile:)  but once you understand that lack of color, as you "see" it (even though your eyes are closed), its like cleaning the palette, then you can bring something into mind and focus on it.  unfort. that last part, bringing in another thought to focus on is much harder using this technique.  there are other techniques where you can just concentrate on what you want to focus on, and start from there.. however I find that very difficult, and usually avoid that method.

it takes about 10 minutes to do at first, but after a while, it can be done pretty quick, given you practice.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

OfflineDinahTheCat
Seeker of Truth
Male User Gallery

Re: How do I meditate? [Re: kotik]
    #5807325 - 06/30/06 05:18 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

yeah i was way tooo add as a kid, to be able to have the mind span to focus on something like that. The closest i came to that was when i would hold my breath underwater in either my pool or the tub, it was cool.

--------------------

Offlinetallgreen
chillin like avillain
 User Gallery
Re: How do I meditate? [Re: Cherk]
    #5807340 - 06/30/06 05:27 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Smoker For Peace said:
be silent and still, then breathe

this is meditation

everything else is a gimmick

:thumbup:

My parents have been meditating twice a day for 40 years.  I learned 14 years ago.  There are many kinds of meditation but this is how we do it.  It is very powerful, and easy.  sit down, upright, in a comfortable position.  focus on your breathing.  or you can repeat a mantra, like "om".  your mind will naturally wander, that's good.  when you notice that it wanders, go back to the mantra/breathing.  That's it.  The more you do it the more powerful it becomes.  I reach altered states within a minute.  Also, never quickly end a meditation.  you must come out slowly (5 minutes), otherwise you can cause yourself stress and come out worse than when you went in.

--------------------
Nothing you can know that isn't known.
Nothing you can see that isn't shown.
Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be.
It's easy.
All you need is love.
- The Beatles

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: How do I meditate? [Re: tallgreen]
    #5807558 - 06/30/06 06:55 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

So I'm supposed to close my eyes, but not relax them like I'm sleeping, just kind of stare...?

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
    #5807666 - 06/30/06 07:50 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

tallgreen said:
Also, never quickly end a meditation. you must come out slowly (5 minutes), otherwise you can cause yourself stress and come out worse than when you went in.

This is an important point that I've also realized. You have to keep things flowing, so there is a process of relaxing. You cannot simply say 'ok I'm bored now time to get up'. That is the exact opposite attitude that you should have. It should be a natural feeling like 'ok, now is the time to get up'.

I think that meditation, while cross legged, is actually a very physically demanding process - especially if you are talking about longer meditations of an hour or more. You really do have to be physically fit to do that.

One of my favorite things to do is swimming. So I will eat a good meal, go swimming, then meditate afterwards when my body is relaxed, yet strong. The same process could work for a walk, a run, a shower - whatever. My point is that it's easier to meditate when your metabolism is going.

I think this is an important thing to consider because of posture. Sitting cross legged gives you a great balance. If you can simply maintain that posture, it is very beneficial not only for your peace of mind, but also for your ability to balance, which gives you the natural inclination to have good posture.

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

OfflineDinahTheCat
Seeker of Truth
Male User Gallery

Re: How do I meditate? [Re: The_Hobbit]
    #5810236 - 07/01/06 04:23 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

use the force

--------------------

Offlinetallgreen
chillin like avillain
 User Gallery
    #5812414 - 07/02/06 12:57 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

NewbieShroomie said:
So I'm supposed to close my eyes, but not relax them like I'm sleeping, just kind of stare...?

Not with my technique, which is, Transcendental Meditation, or TM. There is no strain, or painful focus. It should feel effortless, easy, comforting.

--------------------
Nothing you can know that isn't known.
Nothing you can see that isn't shown.
Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be.
It's easy.
All you need is love.
- The Beatles

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

#5812689 - 07/02/06 02:51 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

I gave it a shot last night. I was laying in bed and had a little trouble sleeping. I sat up against my wall indian style with my hands resting on my lap. I just stared into the colors and didn't think at all. I just kind of let thoughts in and out for about 5 minutes.

I felt relaxed and more inclined to sleep afterwards, but nothing special really came of it. I guess I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to be doing. I can't clear my mind sober. I have too much on my mind to let it go long enough to meditate.

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
    #5813015 - 07/02/06 05:13 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

OfflineNewbieS
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Re: How do I meditate? [Re: Syle]
    #5813028 - 07/02/06 05:20 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks I'll study that for a while before another attempt :wink:

Offlinecapliberty
Stranger
 User Gallery

#5813139 - 07/02/06 06:14 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

maybe smoke some bud, I find the same problem, I just sit there, and space out, but when I stop its over, nothing really special, but I could see maybe its something that bud does all along, at least initailly, which slows down your thoughts, and have better concentration for the here and now, maybe thats its function, to appease your thought process, and give you a relaxing status, but many times, I'm really not that relaxed to begin with, and all the breathing serves only to get you light headed, I'd say do something that truly is relaxing first, then try to space out, Instead trying to force feed the relaxation process

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
    #5813140 - 07/02/06 06:14 PM (17 years, 8 months ago)

oops, just read the entire thread, someone else already posted that link, sorry  :frown:

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

OfflineDexter
Mad scienstist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherlands
    #5815030 - 07/03/06 07:31 AM (17 years, 8 months ago)

Just close your eyes or stare at an unfixed point in front of you and be still in every sense of the word, don't try to fight off or hold on to your thoughts but let them pass trough your conciousness instead, when you don't pay any attention to your thoughts they'll fade eventually. It takes me about 20 minutes to calm down little. You could try singing or humming a mantra of some sort, best example of this is ofcourse "Um Mani Padme Hum", but I like Bob Dylan's "All the tired horses" also. You could focus on your breathing, or on your body starting from your toes working your way up to the top of your head. While doing this you "tell" your body to relax, you could help the process a little by contracting and after that relaxing the muscles in the area you're focussing on. When you are sufficiently relaxed try to take yourself to a happy place, imaginary or not, and try to feel out what it's like there. How does it look, what do you hear, who is with you, is it cold or hot, what does it smell like? Being in your private realm of subconsciousness (or should I say super conciousness??) should give you enough relaxation to drop fear, anxiety, ego and all other stuff standing between you and your inner self. It's important to have a goal beforehand, to know what it is you want to achieve, it kind of works the same way as the set and setting stuff we've learned when dealing with psychedelics. I usually use a mix of above mentioned techniques depending on what it is I want to achieve and how my mood is. Some of these techniques are actually better described as self hypnosis, bit IMO there's a very thin line between a hypnotic and a meditative state.

Best of Luck.

--------------------
I've recently started my own weblog, you can find it here: Dexter's Adventures

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate