Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Oil on engine ...
    #7360655 -

I forgot to put the cap on my oil in my car and as I was driving around, oil splashed out onto my engine. One of my friends mentioned that oil on your engine could cause it to explode ... how serious is this really and what is the best method of cleaning?


--------------------
None of what I write is real. I enjoy living in the world of imaginary things.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil on engine ... [Re: Hello]
    #7360673 -

Explode?  I dont think so...

There are engine degreasers available for real cheap, just a couple bucks.  You just cover up the electronics (battery, distributor etc.) and spray your engine with the degreaser and rinse with a hose.  Then you run your car for a few minutes to dry it, and any left over residue will burn away without trouble.


I did the same thing once my self.  I caught it quickly though, and didnt bother cleaning it.  :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil on engine ... [Re: DieCommie]
    #7360687 -

It will just smoke till it burns off.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil on engine ... [Re: DieCommie]
    #7360697 -

um no. Worst is the oil could start smoking.

engine oil has a flashpoint of more than 400 degrees usually, so you're engine cover would have to be that hot before whatever small amount you've got on there could possibly burn.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil on engine ... [Re: johnm214]
    #7360712 -

I'd bet way more than 400 deg. I've tried lighting the stuff with thermite and didn't get much of a reaction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil on engine ... [Re: Hello]
    #7360725 -

Not true but I can see why he'd think that. If you put something that contains a lot of carbon (like used motor oil) on a white hot piece of steel it will weaken the metal.

Edit: MythBusters, FTW!

Edited by Gumby (09/02/07 02:30 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil on engine ... [Re: joef5]
    #7360726 -

well the flashpoint is just the lowest temp where the oil will may start to oxidize- not necessarily self-sustaining. Anyways, its the lowest temp of interest when determining flamability.

Chevron Supreme 10w-40 has a 401F flashpoint
https://www.cbest.chevron.com/msdsServer/controller?module=com.chevron.lubes.msds.bus.BusMSDSDetail&msdsNumber=6717&docNumber=276965&docDataId=278918&docFormat=HTML&isLoginPage=true®ion=NA

Valvoline 10w-40 has a 435 f flashpoint; http://www.jednet.com/fusion/hes/downloads/documents/pdf/Motor-Oil-10W40-14292.pdf

I'd assume the rest are around there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil on engine ... [Re: johnm214]
    #7360729 -

anyways it doesn't matter. Things don't generally explode unless there in confined spaces or mixed with lots of oxidizers (more than atmospheric air)

The only thing I could imagine is if some hoses or something were weakened by the oil, but doubt it'd be a problem.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil on engine ... [Re: Hello]
    #7360798 -

Your worst fear here is a messy engine... which is bound to happen eventually anyhow.

Spray it with some degreaser (in a well ventilated area, obviously. Fumes brain be good not for :imslow:).

Or if you actually WANT it to explode, spray it with starter fluid while smoking a cigar


--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* The Peak Oil Crisis: Our Government is Speaking
( 1 2 3 all )
trendalM 7,279 52 11/16/07 05:10 PM
by a_guy_named_ai
* Oil in My Antifreeze Pinhead 978 13 04/30/07 11:13 AM
by Scott Bennett
* NY Times runs Peak Oil article
( 1 2 3 all )
trendalM 5,596 49 08/23/05 09:27 AM
by trendal
* FINALLY going to be running a car on vagitable oil!
( 1 2 3 all )
ZippoZM 3,378 41 04/08/06 09:49 PM
by kosmic_charlie
* Im proud to say, that as of 12:21 central time, MY truck Runs on VEGITABLE OIL
( 1 2 3 all )
ZippoZM 3,918 51 04/18/06 12:46 PM
by BlueRidge
* Are diesel engines harder and/or more costly to maintain? DNKYD 3,131 4 09/09/05 07:48 PM
by DNKYD
* So two planes crashed and exploded at work tonight... Madtowntripper 1,848 17 01/25/07 11:00 AM
by Madtowntripper
* My Cars Check Engine light came on..... Hitman203 1,766 19 05/23/06 08:56 AM
by MadSeasonAbove

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
826 topic views. 5 members, 39 guests and 220 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.024 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 14 queries.