Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Oil in My Antifreeze
    #6853136 -

I have a car problem that I was hoping someone could help me with. I have a 2003 Chevy Malibu 3.1L with 100k miles on it.
I noticed that I'm getting oil in my antifreeze which usually means a header gasket. Took the car in for a compression check and they told me I need to have my intake manifold gaskets replaced.(They only had the car for 15 mins, later I was told it takes 18mins per cyl. to check for compression leak)They wanted to charge me $780.00! included new wire,plugs, manifold kit for $199.00 (which I found for $78.00..yes, updated kit.) Got very suspicious so I took it to a friend who checked the compression..checkedout at 63.1, 63.2 average. Said the engine was tight, no problem. This engine is known for bad intake manifolds, GM has had this problem for years! So until the 2nd compression check,I believed it. Flushed the radiator thinking maybe someone poored oil in the radiator..2 days later STILL oil in the radiator. Any ideas what could cause this. Maybe transmission cooler..????

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil in My Antifreeze [Re: Pinhead]
    #6853153 -

I am no mechanic, but this happened to my Saturn, and I was fucked. It runs for awhile, but eventually it will just start heating up beyond where it should be. Mine was most likely the header gasket thingy you mentioned...

Good luck... but I'd start looking for another car. Even if you fix the leak, I think you still need a whole new cooling system.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil in My Antifreeze [Re: Pinhead]
    #6853171 -

Take it back to the place and tell them you want your car fixed for free or you will be going to the press to document the rip-offs that they are. Sounds like a good way to kill a little bit of time if you have nothing else better to do.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil in My Antifreeze [Re: gregorio]
    #6853212 -

gregorio said:
Take it back to the place and tell them you want your car fixed for free or you will be going to the press to document the rip-offs that they are. Sounds like a good way to kill a little bit of time if you have nothing else better to do.



I never had them work on it.(did you read the entire post?)..Just gave my buddy $40.00 for the compression check and the radiator flush. I got suspicious of the garage after seeing their itemized list.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil in My Antifreeze [Re: Pinhead]
    #6853214 -

Yeah I know I just hate thieves and they were trying to rip you off. It would be worth it just to piss them off.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil in My Antifreeze [Re: Pinhead]
    #6853216 -

Sounds like they didn't do a thorough compression test. I don't remember much about wrenching, but isn't there some sort of leak-down test for that?

It does sound like a head gasket (not header gasket, two different things), is there foamy shit in your engine oil too?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil in My Antifreeze [Re: slackophage]
    #6853228 -

slackophage said:
Sounds like they didn't do a thorough compression test. I don't remember much about wrenching, but isn't there some sort of leak-down test for that?

It does sound like a head gasket (not header gasket, two different things), is there foamy shit in your engine oil too?



No, the oil looks good! Thats why we thought maybe someone poured oil into the radiator. The oil isn't milky at all.
A "Head" and "header gasket" are two different things? Didn't know that will have to check that out. Thing is that a compression check will tell if the intake manifold is bad, which is what the garage wanted to replace.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil in My Antifreeze [Re: Pinhead]
    #6853230 -

Go to another mechanic for a second opinion?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil in My Antifreeze [Re: Redstorm]
    #6853253 -

Redstorm said:
Go to another mechanic for a second opinion?



It would be a "3rd" opinion..Even so, maybe not a bad idea.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil in My Antifreeze [Re: Pinhead]
    #6853303 -

Pinhead said:
No, the oil looks good! Thats why we thought maybe someone poured oil into the radiator. The oil isn't milky at all.




That is bizarre, usually it all mixes with everything and you get a huge mess on your hands. But if there's no water in your oil that means your engine probably didn't suffer any damage and the gasket could be blown just right.....I dunno.

Quote:
A "Head" and "header gasket" are two different things? Didn't know that will have to check that out. Thing is that a compression check will tell if the intake manifold is bad, which is what the garage wanted to replace.



Header gaskets are for your exhaust, if those fail, your car starts sounding unpleasantly loud.

Head gaskets help seal and separate the compression chamber, cooling passages, and oil passages from each other.

If the shop is doing the compression test properly, it shouldn't have anything to do with the intake gasket. A compression check is done with the cylinder sealed, both the intake and exhaust valves closed. The only things that should be able to leak in that scenario are the header gaskets, valves, or piston rings.

Also, you don't compression test an intake manifold, at least not on a street car. They handle vacuum unless you're running a turbo or blower, not pressure.

Take it somewhere else.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil in My Antifreeze [Re: slackophage]
    #6853410 -

Thanks Slack. Sounds like my intake manifold after all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil in My Antifreeze [Re: Pinhead]
    #6853426 -

I'd fix it.


--------------------
It's just some nights, you really want to go out, get some hot bitch to dump Goose down your throat and snort coke off a stripper's tits.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil in My Antifreeze [Re: Scott Bennett]
    #6853457 -

ThaiLipaYai said:
I'd fix it.



I would too, except that I never did one before(intake manifold). Think I'll have someone else fix it. Thanks for the advice all the same.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Oil in My Antifreeze [Re: Pinhead]
    #6853493 -

Happy to be of service.


--------------------
It's just some nights, you really want to go out, get some hot bitch to dump Goose down your throat and snort coke off a stripper's tits.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

North Spore Shop: North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* i just made $225 worth of fuel, out of vegetable oil, in 2 hours
( 1 2 3 all )
ZippoZM 4,453 54 04/14/16 08:34 PM
by PatrickKn
* Im covered in oil and blood ZippoZM 733 12 03/07/08 12:31 AM
by Colbadol
* Hash oil Ravus 5,073 16 01/04/05 11:25 AM
by baraka
* Man Fined For Using Vegetable Oil As Fuel VoidOfsPg 1,458 15 06/13/07 02:53 PM
by demiu5
* has anyone ever used compressed co2 to increase co2 saturation at spawning ? Ma Fen 222 0 10/30/09 12:38 PM
by Ma Fen
* Do you use the ass gasket in public toilets?
( 1 2 3 all )
ZippoZM 2,514 40 04/26/07 05:46 AM
by SmokenBabyJesus
* Peak Oil - two years later
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
trendalM 13,610 102 12/20/07 12:11 PM
by ZippoZ
* Enjoy the Cheap Oil While You Still Can
( 1 2 3 all )
trendalM 4,441 42 10/06/07 02:24 PM
by The_Ghost

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
978 topic views. 3 members, 44 guests and 74 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.