Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Loc: Chocolate City
best strings for accoustic guitar
    #7104009 - 06/28/07 04:00 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I've got an Ibanez Accoustic/Electric. The strings are hard as shit to press down and rip my fingers to shreds. I'm not sure what kind they are, but it's what the guy at the store recommended a few years ago.

I have buddies with electric guitars. When I play on theirs, its easy as hell to press down the strings. I can play so much better.

Are there any experienced players out there who know what kind I should be looking for?

->BrAiN

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLloydChristmas
getting lost on purpose
Male User Gallery

Loc: atx Flag
Re: best strings for accoustic guitar [Re: BrAiN]
    #7104026 - 06/28/07 04:07 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

First of all, the action is usually much lower on an electric than acoustic. That means the strings are lower to the fretboard making it much easier to press them down. I recommend Elixirs, they are a little pricey but make up for it in playability and durability.

--------------------

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
    #7104032 - 06/28/07 04:09 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Elixer Acoustic Nano-web Lights... go to your local shop and tell them that, they will know what you mean.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: best strings for accoustic guitar [Re: AaronEvil]
    #7104157 - 06/28/07 04:54 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

if your fingers are hurting just get extra lights. Elixirs are good if you're not changing your strings often, but if you do they're a waste of money. They prevent corrosion but ime they lose their snap and twang just as fast as the traditional d'addarios or what have you.

--------------------

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery

Loc: Gallifrey
    #7104343 - 06/28/07 05:56 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

silk & steel, if you can find them, sound and play amazing on the right guitar.

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In my garden
    #7104715 - 06/28/07 07:48 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

First thing to remember about strings, the lighter the gauge(size), the more tone you loose. Lighter strings produce a shitty sound, IMO. Especially extra lite. Once when I was first playing my acoustic, I bought medium gauge strings. They ate my fingers to bits, but I didn't bother changing them. I now prefer mediums because of the tone, and my fingers got stronger. So now when I go to an electric, I can tear the shit up.

My advice would get either a custom light or light gauge, Elixir Phosphor Bronze with nanoweb(not polyweb) coating. Elixir string have a rust resistant coating to make them last longer and actually make the string feel softer to play. They last 3-4 times longer and regular strings and never corrode(sp?). A lot people play elixir for the first time and comment on the way they feel. Don't go for any other brand of string with their coating. I have used GHS strings comparable to elixirs and they were honestly a complete waste of money. I should have just got regular strings for what I got. The difference in the elixirs is subtle but make drastic changes on a particular guitar. Polyweb coating is thicker and the original. In my opinion sounds slightly flat but some people prefer that sound. I my like phosphor bronze or a regular non web. The custom lights will be a tad lighter then a regular light, which can be good for certain things. But if you action is too high, adjust your bridge. Just take it out and sand it down a little.

http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/product_acoustic.html

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: best strings for accoustic guitar [Re: Noviseer]
    #7104737 - 06/28/07 07:54 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Noviseer said:
if your fingers are hurting just get extra lights. Elixirs are good if you're not changing your strings often, but if you do they're a waste of money. They prevent corrosion but ime they lose their snap and twang just as fast as the traditional d'addarios or what have you.

I prefer the sound of old elixirs opposed to the new bright sounding string. I like them so I can play and still have the desireable tone longer than regular strings. I guess it's just the difference in the particular instruments and personal tone preference. But I agree, if you desire the fresh bright sound of new strings, elixirs are just like any other if you play all the time. Elixirs are also completely worthless though if you are one to break strings a lot. They break just as easily so can get rather expensive if you got through strings in a week or two.

My strings last me up to 5 months or more.

Offlinemasterxenn
-~={•X€ñN•}=~-
Male User Gallery

Loc: A to the mutha phucken K
Jazz strings [Re: daytripper05]
    #7104816 - 06/28/07 08:11 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I like playing with jazz strings. They are flat wound so you don't get that horrible screech sound as you move you fingers along the strings. They also have the benefit for beginners of not tearing your fingers up as much.

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Re: Jazz strings [Re: masterxenn]
    #7104844 - 06/28/07 08:18 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

jazz strings huh? I might give em a shot. I hate that sliding noise as well.

thanks guys how much does a pack of the elixirs go for?

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7104847 - 06/28/07 08:19 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I never have a problem with a screeching sound. I might have to try to some jazz strings sometime though.

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Jazz strings [Re: BrAiN]
    #7104860 - 06/28/07 08:21 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

no more than $25 but no less than $20, alteast I have never seen them for under this. The electric strings are cheaper than acoustic and the acoustic polyweb MIGHT be available for $18.99 but I never buy those. The phosphor bronze is their newest product, and my favorite so far. But they are the most expensive.

OfflineBrAiN
Art Fag
 User Gallery
Re: Jazz strings [Re: daytripper05]
    #7104863 - 06/28/07 08:22 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

i had a jazz pick once... although i don't play jazz.

I realy liked it. It was really small, stiff, and shrap.. the complete opposite of the usual flimsy floppy pieces of shit...  and i didn't have to worry about it hitting other strings.. felt like I could hit what I wanted with more precious when playing "sweet child o mine" :wink:

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Jazz strings [Re: BrAiN]
    #7104874 - 06/28/07 08:25 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I prefer a 1mm nylon pick.

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery

Loc: Gallifrey
    #7104977 - 06/28/07 08:46 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I prefer finger picking over using a single flat pick. Though popping a thumbpick on sometimes is fun.

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
    #7105580 - 06/28/07 11:16 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

daytripper05 said:
no more than $25 but no less than $20, alteast I have never seen them for under this. The electric strings are cheaper than acoustic and the acoustic polyweb MIGHT be available for $18.99 but I never buy those. The phosphor bronze is their newest product, and my favorite so far. But they are the most expensive.

I find that hard to believe. I only use elixers on my guitars and I have never seen them over $12. Its not the 6 or 7 you would spend on other strings, but they last longer and sound better.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

OfflineLloydChristmas
getting lost on purpose
Male User Gallery

Loc: atx Flag
    #7105609 - 06/28/07 11:27 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I actually like the screech.:shrug:  I've found many other people do too, guitar players and civilians.

--------------------

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Jazz strings [Re: AaronEvil]
    #7105797 - 06/29/07 12:27 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

AaronEvil said:
Quote:

daytripper05 said:

I find that hard to believe. I only use elixers on my guitars and I have never seen them over $12. Its not the 6 or 7 you would spend on other strings, but they last longer and sound better.

I don't know what is hard to believe about that. But I assure you everywhere around here charges $15-17 for electric and $20-25 for acoustic. But I was just checking some online prices and they are right around $12. I am going to start buying them online or something because ALL the stores are ripping people off apparently. Who knows, maybe they have come down some. I haven't bought any in over 6 months.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: Jazz strings [Re: AaronEvil]
    #7106328 - 06/29/07 06:07 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

AaronEvil said:

Where I live they are about $18 CDN for electric... never looked at acoustic elixirs.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

InvisiblecoAsTal
Friend
 User Gallery

Loc: 8a
Re: Jazz strings [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #7106334 - 06/29/07 06:13 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Check out webstrings.com-- it sounds kinda gimmickey I know, but seriously-- it's A-grade strings sold unbranded at wholesale prices--

--------------------
I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the Heart's affections and the truth of Imagination--  John Keats

Spore Trading List

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale