Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleGlenners
Rhymenosaurus

Re: Need to restring and retune my guitar [Re: CosmicFool]
    #12136494 - 03/03/10 05:55 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

When you're putting on new strings they're going to buzz and after some playing they're going to get out of tune really easy. My guitar teacher taught me to pick up the guitar with each strings to stretch them out while tuning it up. If you stretch it out you can get rid on that annoying buzz right away.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCorrosiveLiquid
Amature Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: Need to restring and retune my guitar [Re: Glenners]
    #12136513 - 03/03/10 05:57 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

check out guitar pro if its at wally world while your there, its great guitar learning software for learning songs after you can read tabs.

--------------------
"In order to be a leader, you must FIRST be a follower!"

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, None but ourselves can free our minds."
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, Wisdom is better than silver and gold"

OfflineSchwank
Stranger
Male

Loc: NW Florida
Re: Need to restring and retune my guitar [Re: highdroponics]
    #12146997 - 03/05/10 06:06 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

highdroponics said:
on the first 4, no, and they still buzz like hell. The last two higher gauged ones I can't seem to get on there right. but I'm not worried about that, I'm thinking my guitar is fucked at the moment.

Again it was pretty neglected, just thrown, and I mean thrown into a closet and left there for 2 years. Shit was constantly being piled on top of it.

Did you say you didnt have the fifth and sixth strings(the two fat ones) strung? Ok check this out before you go spending money on a guitar you may never learn to play anyways. Your guitar might not be fucked up

The neck has a slight bow to it, nothing real noticeable but it is there. There is sometimes a rod that goes through the neck, this is called a tension rod. It is what controls the amount of "bow" in your neck. This can be adjusted by the tension bolt. If it is a Fender it should have one(even if it's cheap, nice ones have three). This controls the action or the amount of space between your strings and the fret board. The string rubbing on the fret probably the eighth or ninth right? This is because your action is too low This could be for a couple of reason... first it doesnt have enough pressure to bow it out because it isnt fully stringed... put the other two strings on it. Second it could be because of how it sat. Either way you might can fix it. if it's something else fuck me I dont know

I think you should go talk to the people at your local mom and pops guitar shop they are usually more than happy to help you if they are worth their salt and they could save you 250 bux and fix your guitar for like 20.

BTW I think for 250 bux you can get a Fender Starcaster... what kind of guitar do you have again?

--------------------

"The first problem for all of us, men and women,
is not to learn, but to unlearn." - Gloria Steinem

OfflineRadar
Stranger

Re: Need to restring and retune my guitar [Re: Schwank]
    #12147092 - 03/05/10 07:05 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

fyi There is a GREAT app on the iPhone called Guitar Tool Kit (the logo is like a guitar pick) has one of the best tuners out there. I own like 8 tuners and lately been using the iPhone even for electrics. Though it does pick up on all the noise in the room so its only for when you are alone.  It also has a great chord chart / scale chart function with someething like 40 preloaded tunings plus you can just imput your own made up tunings. And it has presets for 15 different stringed instruments w/ their various tunings.  Just kind of cool.

As for electrics - go check out the used stores in your area. Don't pay new. Will pay a fraction of the price AND pick up something with some character.

Lastly  - I have to say some of the most beautiful as well as some of the coolest music I have ever heard played has been on the cheapest crappiest guitars I've ever seen.  Check out what the african musicians are playing on ("you nailed bottle caps to it???" ) .  Check out some of the blues guitarists.

--------------------
We have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the heroes of all time have gone before us — the labyrinth is thoroughly known. We have only to follow the thread of the hero path, and where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence. And where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world.

Offlinehighdroponics Happy Birthday!
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy Flag
Re: Need to restring and retune my guitar [Re: Schwank]
    #12147203 - 03/05/10 08:11 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Schwank said:
Quote:

highdroponics said:
on the first 4, no, and they still buzz like hell. The last two higher gauged ones I can't seem to get on there right. but I'm not worried about that, I'm thinking my guitar is fucked at the moment.

Again it was pretty neglected, just thrown, and I mean thrown into a closet and left there for 2 years. Shit was constantly being piled on top of it.

Did you say you didnt have the fifth and sixth strings(the two fat ones) strung? Ok check this out before you go spending money on a guitar you may never learn to play anyways. Your guitar might not be fucked up

The neck has a slight bow to it, nothing real noticeable but it is there. There is sometimes a rod that goes through the neck, this is called a tension rod. It is what controls the amount of "bow" in your neck. This can be adjusted by the tension bolt. If it is a Fender it should have one(even if it's cheap, nice ones have three). This controls the action or the amount of space between your strings and the fret board. The string rubbing on the fret probably the eighth or ninth right? This is because your action is too low This could be for a couple of reason... first it doesnt have enough pressure to bow it out because it isnt fully stringed... put the other two strings on it. Second it could be because of how it sat. Either way you might can fix it. if it's something else fuck me I dont know

I think you should go talk to the people at your local mom and pops guitar shop they are usually more than happy to help you if they are worth their salt and they could save you 250 bux and fix your guitar for like 20.

BTW I think for 250 bux you can get a Fender Starcaster... what kind of guitar do you have again?

I had fully strung the guitar, two of the strings were just hard to get on correctly.

The neck is twisted to a degree and has a bow in the middle it seems, it's fucked. Did everything I could in my power to get it to stop buzzing. It didn't help that the guitar was basically tossed into my closet and had shit piled on top of it. It was pretty damn neglected, for a while there I was just treating like any old piece of trash, throwing it around to get it out of my way, whatever happened, happened and I didn't care at the time. It is a fender starcaster, I got it for half that price though, brand new from target or wally world or something...too many people have pointed out to me that it was a piece of shit though. For 250 I could get an actual Stratocaster.

There are no mom and pop music stores of any kind in my area, my area is nothing but corporate owned businesses, all the mom and pop places have been completely run out of business anywhere near here because of places like wal mart which is basically where everyone goes for everything, this town sucks hardcore. I had to use a 'Music & Arts' store which is about as good as I'm gonna get.

I have already bought a new guitar and signed up for lessons. Got a Fender Squire for 170, the lessons are 90 a month. I'm determined to learn.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

Edited by highdroponics (03/05/10 08:13 AM)

OfflineRadar
Stranger

#12147361 - 03/05/10 09:11 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Those Fender Squires are great guitars...its funny to read the old guitar player magazines from the early 80s and 70's where everyone is bitching about what pieces of crap all the Fender Strats from the 60's were (even pre CBS) and then see how much they go for now vs the much better constructon and parts on a lot of the "cheap guitars" these days. Bang for the buck now is huge.

--------------------
We have not even to risk the adventure alone, for the heroes of all time have gone before us — the labyrinth is thoroughly known. We have only to follow the thread of the hero path, and where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god; where we had thought to slay another, we shall slay ourselves; where we had thought to travel outward, we shall come to the center of our own existence. And where we had thought to be alone, we shall be with all the world.

Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Re: Need to restring and retune my guitar [Re: Radar]
    #12147635 - 03/05/10 10:26 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Let's make this simple, I wanna learn Lucy in The Sky with Diamonds as a first song if at all possible.:sun:

Anyone able to point me in the right direction? Seem like a shit simple song to learn for a beginner.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

Edited by highdroponics (03/05/10 11:00 AM)

OfflineCorrosiveLiquid
Amature Mycologist
Male User Gallery

#12147890 - 03/05/10 11:16 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

highdroponics said:
Let's make this simple, I wanna learn Lucy in The Sky with Diamonds as a first song if at all possible.:sun:

Anyone able to point me in the right direction? Seem like a shit simple song to learn for a beginner.

get guitar pro 5... then use 911tabs dot com or ultimate guitar to download the tabs for it, it shows the pusic and plays it for you too, tabs are easy to read.

E---0---3---5--------0---3---5-6-5---- kinda like that. that is your e string(biggest or smallest one)EADGBE tuning. and frets 0 3 5 and 6, 0 means open or no fret

--------------------

"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, None but ourselves can free our minds."
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, Wisdom is better than silver and gold"

OfflineCorrosiveLiquid
Amature Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Re: Need to restring and retune my guitar [Re: CorrosiveLiquid]
    #12147912 - 03/05/10 11:21 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

get the newest version of Guitar Pro you can find and download this song. then open the song with the program and there you go, easy as pie. if you have any other questiond or need more help, pm me. i play bass and guitar, ive played in a few bands and have done several live shows with bands like mushroomhead, kittie, powerman 5000, dope, and others. for real hit me up id love to help. peace

--------------------

OfflineSchwank
Stranger
Male

Loc: NW Florida
Re: Need to restring and retune my guitar [Re: CorrosiveLiquid]
    #12157463 - 03/07/10 03:29 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------

"The first problem for all of us, men and women,
is not to learn, but to unlearn." - Gloria Steinem

Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

#12183595 - 03/11/10 02:16 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Is a guitar pick necessary or can I do without? I really can't stand holding a pick, it's very awkward to hold it correctly and actually hit the right notes.

I'm working on memorizing the c major scale of the first 3 frets right now. I can do fairly well without a pick, but with a pick I just can't seem to hold it right or something and I fuck up way too much. I'm to the point that I don't have to look at all and I can play it at a steady pace, even extremely fast if I want to when I do actually look. this is all my instructor is having me do for this week.

I've also noticed my fingers are not average. It's been pointed out to me by a guitar teacher from back in high school that my fingers are abnormally long, the distance between knuckles on my fingers is longer than anyone else I know.

--------------------

OfflineCosmicFool
Psychoholic
 User Gallery

Loc: 203 Flag
    #12183641 - 03/11/10 02:23 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

as I stated earlier in the thread I'm mainly a bass player and it's fairly uncommon for a bass player to use a pick... so no a pick is not necessary.

But you'll probably have a hard time strumming without one. You may also notice your notes aren't as bright and clear. :shrug:

--------------------

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #12183710 - 03/11/10 02:34 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Ok, a few things.  If you strings are buzzing, it could be for two reasons.  One, do you have an adjustable bridge?  Your bridge might have to be raised.  Another reason, could be a bow in the neck.  As other have said, this could be easily fixed by a professional, who will adjust the tension bolt.

There are two reasons your neck could be bent.  The first reason could be heavy strings.  12 gauge strings would definitely bow a neck in a year or so.  I generally use 9 gauge instead, as they're easier on the fingers, and allow for easier scales and such.  Heavier strings have a much warmer sound, but they're too tough on the guitar and my fingers.

The second reason your neck could be warped, is if it's left standing up, leaning against a wall.  Putting your guitar in a case, and laying it flat on the ground is the best way to prevent warping.  You should never lean it against a wall for storage.

Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Re: Need to restring and retune my guitar [Re: BothHands]
    #12317939 - 04/02/10 01:32 PM (14 years, 17 days ago)

So... my first song learned (or rather part of it) was Twist and Shout! Who woulda knew my guitar teacher would be a Beatles fan.

Having a little trouble on the strumming up part of strumming though, I seem to stick my pick in there too far and pick random strings rather than strum the entire chord.

I'm sure with practice I'll get it right but are there any tips for strumming upward?

So far this is the only song I have learned to play. I'm 4 lessons in, I like the way this guy teaches, he's getting all the chords and scales out of the way first, as well he is teaching to read actual music rather than just tablature(sp?). I like to come up with my own music using the e minor and a minor pentanoic scales, just screwing aroud getting my finger muscles stronger and building calluses on my fingers.

Only 1 moth into my lessons, which are only 30 minutes long each, one day a week and I feel like I've progressed fairly rapidly. He''s got me working with the Rock Guitar book by Michael Mueller. Next song on the list is Maggie May.:sun:

--------------------

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #12317968 - 04/02/10 01:38 PM (14 years, 17 days ago)

Sounds like things are going great.

Wait until you get into chord progressions.  That's when guitar starts getting fun. :grin:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom