Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
Michigander Stumped! *PICS*
    #708137 - 06/28/02 01:53 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Okay, I?ll admit that I?m a little new to the whole mushroom ID thing. I picked up a couple of books at Borders, but for the life of me I can?t seem to figure out what these two mushrooms I found in my yard are. I?d appreciate any help the veterans here could give me.

They didn?t stain blue, and I don?t think they?re active, but I?d like to learn about any varieties that grow in my area. I?m in the process of printing them right now.

These two pics are of Mystery Shroom #1:

The next two pics are Mystery Shroom #2:

Any help that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated!

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

Edited by FanaTEK (06/28/02 01:56 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia
Re: Michigander Stumped! *PICS* [Re: FanaTEK]
    #708327 - 06/28/02 03:34 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Take a spore print, if they are white than you probably have some type of amanita...probably poisonous...by the looks of things...although I could be wrong...but my guess is amanita...whatever there are a few that look like that. Take a print to be sure....also check a few other sites on web like California myko web...can't remember the url right now and thsi site from the west coast is also pretty good
http://www.pfc.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/cgi-bin/matchmaker/matchmaker.asp , check it out....but if I were you I would not eatem.

Cheers

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #708364 - 06/28/02 03:51 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Here's a few hints to help you in identification.

Start with the spore print color. Always note the habitat (on the ground, on wood, if near trees what kind). Those two characteristics, along with the general appearance of the mushroom should usually get you to the genus. A good book should include keys for the mushrooms. Once you've gotten to the genus, key it out. Don't expect every mushroom to key out properly. Lots of mushrooms you'll find won't be in any of the books you're likely to get. Remember that the photos in the books are of perfect specimens - yours will rarely be that pretty looking. Also remember that many species of mushroom are extremely variable in appearance, so they may be very different from the photo.

I gonna take a wild stab at the genera of your mushrooms - If the first one has brown spores, maybe Agrocybe. The second one is probably Amanita, and it should have white spores

Good luck on your identification..

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #708599 - 06/28/02 04:59 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Judging by the cracks on the top of the cap on the first one, I'd say you have a Lepotia, not active, maybe poisonous.
The second one looks like Amanita phalloides, aka Death Cap. Although the veil is missing, it does have the bulbous base. Toss them both, they will make you nothing but sick... maybe dead.

Anonymous

#710132 - 06/29/02 03:04 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag