Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Little fucking BUGS...
    #69350 - 12/22/99 02:42 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

i have little bugs near mine too, but mine are flying ones.

------------------
Peace
Blue

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

#69352 - 12/22/99 09:26 PM (24 years, 3 months ago)

blow crack smoke on them :wink:

OfflineVFH
journeyman
    #69353 - 12/23/99 09:54 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Time to dry the casing out.
Don't give them,(bugs) a good home.
Seal all holes in your setup, and proceed with caution.
A small piece of insect strip in your terrarium, might slow them down.
A light dusting of lime also may help.

Anonymous

#69354 - 12/24/99 11:09 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I'm casing using the Shroom Wizard's tek, so I'm not using a terrarium. The bugs don't seem to be causing any damage though.

------------------
My mind is corrosive...

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #69355 - 12/25/99 10:20 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds like fungus mites. They are similar to plant mites that suck the juices from leaves. They breed fast and can reach huge populations in a few weeks. I once had a tray of B+ get infected with some. They were so thick I could see thousands of them when I looked close. When I dumped out the tray, the bottom looked mummified by having all of the mites sucking the juices from the mycelium. I set a bug bomb off in my chamber and that seemed to do the trick, but all cultures had to be destroyed.

Check to see if your "bugs" move slowly and have 8 legs and a spiderlike body. They are real small and you will need a hand lens to count the legs. Color can vary. Mine were whitish/clear but there is a red variety called a pepper mite.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Anonymous

#69356 - 12/25/99 10:47 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Oh, no way. These bugs have wings, and are about the size of gnats I guess. I can easily see the legs, there are like four. These bugs are black and there aren't very many of them.

------------------
My mind is corrosive...

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
    #69357 - 12/26/99 11:18 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I always get flying gnats in a few of my casings. I'm using shroom wizards casing tek also. They don't seem to hurt anything at all. They don't eat the shrooms, the just like to live in the soil. And they do multiply fast. I figure if they ate the shrooms it wouldn't be long till their all dead or trippin nuts. Anyway, does anyone know what these bugs are called. It seems we all have the same flying gnats. Maybe there is eggs in the potting soil we use?

The Lizard,

--------------------

Anonymous

#69358 - 12/26/99 11:32 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Well, a FOAF had these too with a B+ casing and a few cakes. They seemed to really sow down the growth. But my FOAF found out that the slower the shroom developes the more potent it'll be. My FOAF had like tens of fatasses as a consequence of these bags. These shrooms were the most potent cubensis my FOAF ever tried. Man, he said they were fucking great. It seems the longer it takes the shroom to grow, the more potent it'll be (and it makes sense too)...

Later,
tweedy.

Anonymous

#69359 - 12/26/99 12:07 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I asked this question in a separate post, but no one seems to be answering it: why are my Matias Romero mushrooms taking so long to grow? I took the lid off about a week ago and they're barely an inch above the soil and there aren't very many of them at all. I want to use a heating pad, but I'm afraid there is a risk of fire or hurting the shrooms. Please help me.

------------------
My mind is corrosive...

[This message has been edited by HayabusaXT (edited December 26, 1999).]

Anonymous

#69360 - 12/26/99 02:26 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

I've had the ones that Workman spoke of and they destroyed my crop. One day there were only a few and a week later they had taken over. Very bad. Here are some pics from TMC:

Straw Mite:

Red Pepper Mite:

According to Stamets the presence of mites is "an indication of unsatisfactory substrate preparation and insufficient pasteurization times and/or temperatures".

------------------
Peace, Love & Light

OfflinePsychonaut
seeker

Loc: Vancouver Island, Canada
    #69361 - 12/26/99 02:39 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Psychonaut (edited January 08, 2001).]

--------------------
FungusFun.com

Anonymous

#69362 - 12/26/99 02:47 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

The winged ones sound suspiciously like spider mites...

------------------
Peace, Love & Light

[This message has been edited by Shroom Mage (edited December 26, 1999).]

Anonymous

#69363 - 12/26/99 02:50 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Here are descriptions of four mites given by Stamets in TMC:

Order: Arcana
Family: Tyrogelyphidae
Genus/Species: T .vrophagus putrescentiae,
Caloglyphus mycophagus
Common Names: Straw or Hay Mites Discussion: Straw mites have soft translucent pinkish or yellowish bodies punctuated by long flexible hairs. One female is capable of producing 500 eggs in a lifetime. Commonly found in hay or straw piles, these saprophytic mites are endemic to foul compost. They feed on molds and bacterial contaminants of the mushroom crop and also eat mycelium and mushrooms, making small irregular pits in the stem and cap. These pits can later become infected by bacteria.

Order: Arcana Family: Eupodidae Genus/Species: Linopodes antennaepes
Common Name: Long Legged Mushroom Mite. Discussion: This mite is easily recognized by its long front legs which are twice the length of the light, yellowish brown body. It is not believed to be directly injurious to the mushroom crop and in fact is a predator on other mite species.

Order: Arcana Family- Tarsonemidae Genus/Species: Tarsonemus myceliophagus Common Name: The Mushroom Loving Mite. Discussion:
Tarsonemus mites are very small, 180-190 microns long, with pale brown, shin- ing, oval bodies. They occasionally swarm in masses on mushroom caps but otherwise are rarely seen except by microscopic examination. Females produce an average of 22 eggs in a lifetime of 2-8 weeks. These mites cause a bright reddish-brown discoloration at the base of the mushroom stem and may cut the stem's mycelial connections. Known to survive normal compost pasteurization temperatures, they can carry a virus disease to Agaricus brunnescens.

Order: Arcana Family: Pyemotidae Genus/Species: Pygmephorus sp.
Common Names: Red Pepper Mites; Pygmy Mites. Discussion: Pepper mites are small
(250 microns long) with yellowish brown, wedge-shaped bodies, crossed by a central
whitish band. Red pepper mites are often seen as a swarming jostling mass, on mushroom
caps or the surface of the casing. These mites are commonly associated with Penicillium and Trichoderma molds, upon which they feed.

[This message has been edited by Shroom Mage (edited December 26, 1999).]

OfflineBenzl
enthusiast
    #69364 - 12/26/99 04:48 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

The small black flies are the adults - the maggots are the mythago's, the maggots eat mycelium and tunnel into mushrooms (What's worse than finding a worm in your mushroom - finding half a worm!)and breed like crazy and fly round the house. Use pyrethrum based spray - natural and effective for food crops.

Anonymous

#69365 - 12/26/99 04:56 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

Possibly phorid or sciarid flies - use a pyrethrum-based insecticide, as Benzl said.

Monsanto make one under the brand name 'Polysect' - it contains bifenthrin. You should find it in any good garden store. This will kill the little beasts, but, best of all, if used sparingly it will not harm your crop in any way, nor will you have to take any special care over picking them after they have been sprayed!

Bottle gives full instructions. Hope you nail the little ****ers.

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger
Male User Gallery

#69366 - 12/26/99 09:29 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
-Peace-

High Quality MUSHROOM SPORES and CULTURES  for microscopy at www.muShrooms.com

muShrooms.com is the new web site of
www.thehawkseye.com

Edited by Ryche Hawk (06/05/17 05:40 PM)

Anonymous

#69367 - 12/26/99 09:40 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

These insects are very strange...

They have wings, but I've never seen them fly.

There aren't very many of them, I've never seen maggots or females.

They just walk around on the top layer of soil really fast, they're hard to kill.

They don't seem to be affecting anything, they're just sitting around.

And they're too small to be flies.

These are strangs bugs, nothing dangerous, just a nusence(sp?).

If I had a digital camera, I'd take a picture, but I don't. Mayber I'll get one from the money I got from Chritmas.

------------------
My mind is corrosive...

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
    #69368 - 12/27/99 10:06 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

GREAT IDEA RYCHE! I never thought of that and I've been trying for a long time to find a way to rid these little bastartds. Cool :wink: I'll definately try that one. Thanx,

The Lizard,

--------------------

InvisibleAnubisRonin
enthusiast
    #69369 - 12/29/99 03:11 AM (24 years, 2 months ago)

LITTLE FUCKING BUGS!!!!!! (Thats funny!)

OfflineBenzl
enthusiast
    #69370 - 01/01/00 07:53 PM (24 years, 2 months ago)

The fly paper is pretty good,but I saw one a few months ago that so many little black scum-bags on it that the amount of rotting fly meat on the paper had caused it to become a carpet of thick white fluff.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale