Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBanshee
wannabepsilocybe
Loc: no mans land
Polymer crystals
    #682251 - 06/16/02 02:32 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

polymer crystals are small crystals that expand to about 15 times their size when moistened by water. They are added to soil to prolong time between watering, specially when growing cannabis.

Have any of you applied this "tek" when growing Cubensis? If so please tell me what your experiences have been. If not tell me what you guys think about adding these little crystals to a casing compost.

--------------------

The Universal Spirit is within.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineUHID
enthusiast
Loc: IL
Re: Polymer crystals [Re: Banshee]
    #682971 - 06/16/02 10:27 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

this could be interesting. i remember people using those (especially people growing green plants that they couldn't water as often as they need to) in soil mixtures, but i haven't actually seen them close up.

what's the texture like? how big are the crystals?

take care! stay safe...
-bizarro

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Polymer crystals [Re: Banshee]
    #683081 - 06/17/02 02:58 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I tried this as a casing material once, surprisingly, it colonized like mad. On its own it doesn't quite have the porosity you want in a casing. It basically fruited like a cake. Probably best used mixed with peat/coir/etc.
For those ambivalent about such things as 'bleach dunking' for the toxicity issue, the individual molecules that form these water crystals are very carcinogenic. The fungi likely remediate it into harmless nitrogen compounds, but I'd bet not much research has been done.
Also, once the crystals are colonized, they no longer soak up water like they used to. It's very easy to hydrate too many of them, one teaspoon yeilds a couple handfuls.
A nice bonus of these things is that they are highly resistant to contamination.

OfflineUHID
enthusiast
Re: Polymer crystals [Re: Suntzu]
    #683306 - 06/17/02 06:23 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

suntzu-

nice information. how 'bout using the crystals in a substrate, rather than casing layer? how do you suppose they might work?

thanks! take care!
-bizarro

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Polymer crystals [Re: UHID]
    #683454 - 06/17/02 07:58 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

They work exactly like you would expect they would in substrates. Mixed in, as a resevoir in pf cakes, or simply a bottom layer of a tray. This stuff simply holds water, and has no nutitional value (therefore contam resistant). Similar to verm in that regards, but holds a lot more water, and a lot less air.

Back in my pf days, I regularly made resevoirs of the stuff, and thought it worked a little better than resevoirs of verm. But then again, resevoirs in cakes aren't really that great no matter what their filled with.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Offlineast
Re: Polymer crystals [Re: mycofile]
    #684103 - 06/17/02 02:09 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

sunshine mix #7 is a soiless mix peat/vermiculite that comes with water crystals built into it.. it sells for $20 canadian for a bale that will fill 17 3gallon grow bags.. heh

OfflineBanshee
wannabepsilocybe
Loc: no mans land
Re: Polymer crystals [Re: Suntzu]
    #684181 - 06/17/02 02:46 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

suntzu and mycofile, interesting!
Thanks for the information, I should be experiments with Polymer Crystals soon I hope. What where your yields like ?

--------------------

The Universal Spirit is within.

OfflineUHID
enthusiast
Re: Polymer crystals [Re: ast]
    #684706 - 06/17/02 06:17 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

ast-

does that mean that you've used it? care to share the results or talk any more about using that mix w/ the crystals in it?

interested in the results...

take care! stay safe...
-bizarro

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Polymer crystals [Re: UHID]
    #692220 - 06/21/02 08:43 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I've used some type of potting mix available at walmart which was jiffy mix style. Peat, verm, ph buffer and water crystals. They still sell it, but only with the addition of fertilizer which I would avoid (at least in my area they still do). I used it, and it worked fine. I think all that you're going to get out of a mix like this is that it doesn't dry out as fast. Which isn't a problem in a propper set-up anyway, and I had a great set-up at the time.

In fact, according to a theory of mine, the growth of mushrooms is actually limited, because mushroom growth is dependent upon the evaporation of moisture from the casing surface to draw water/nutrients up throught the mycelial network.

IME with the stuff, I noticed no results other than the casing didn't dry out quite as fast....

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom