Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Edible and Medicinal Mushroom Cultures on Agar   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Coir, Peat

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineFantazee
journeyman
Loc: New England
Polymer Crystals...
    #494667 - 12/18/01 11:30 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

This is sorta a cross-post, but I think this forum would probably contain more adventurous cultivators...

If casing material is supposed to be non-nutrative, and polymer crystals are designed to keep plants well hydrated...Wouldn't they make a great casing material...I'm trying to decide whether to use the crystals, a 50/50+ casing mix, or a combination of the two...

Has anyone used them, and how did they work???
Should I just stick with 50/50+ or is this a viable alternative???

Also...didn't mean to present this like I just thought of it...I've read a lot of information, just want some personal experience to back it up!!!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Polymer Crystals... [Re: Fantazee]
    #495024 - 12/18/01 06:06 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

how about trying a search, believe me, you can't think of anything new around here. It's been done, it works.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Polymer Crystals... [Re: Fantazee]
    #495032 - 12/18/01 06:14 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I ran a straight water crystal [polyacrylamide] casing awhile back and it performed decently, but not as well as a coir or peat jobbie. The problem was that the mycelium overgrew the stuff very quickly, basically just giving a sold cake that fruited decently, but not with the rehydrating/water retentive properties that you might think such a casing would give. The fruits were also wierd looking, I had a couple other trays with the same grain. . .I don't know what might have caused this, but they were warbled.
On two positive notes, this solid casing of crystals was great for rehydration, submersion overnight gave a great second flush. Secondly, the bruising of the fruits from this cake blued very vividly [again, I had other fruits to compare to]. Seeing as how the crystals are made of a nitrogenous polymer, it doesn't seem like too far of a stretch to say that they increased the potency. But it's prit-near impossible to prove such a thing. Give them a shot, but my hindsight would recommend mixing them with coir or peat mixes to some degree for better casing texture.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: MushCult - Live Mushroom Cultures Edible and Medicinal Mushroom Cultures on Agar   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Coir, Peat

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology