Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleUv1
enthusiast

Loc: Bloom County
Post deleted by users_request
    #679680 - 06/15/02 07:41 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

Re: Weak pink contam - what it is? [Re: Uv1]
    #681766 - 06/16/02 11:17 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Pink is definitely a bad color. No doubt about it being a contam.

Any orange, red, pink type color is not something you want to try to hang on to for any reason. The exception being if the color you are seeing could possibly be a result of rust from the lids. If that is a possibility then you could hang onto it to observe it and figure out if it is rust or not.

Karen

OfflineRoger_irrelevant
War's boring,change thechannel!

Re: Weak pink contam - what it is? [Re: Uv1]
    #685073 - 06/18/02 04:20 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I had problems with this pink contam in the past and still am unsure what it could be (Does it have a kind of area of wetness extending around the pink?) Thing is it gets quite deep into the cake and as such I had to throw away quite a few jars. I think I introduced the contam at the mixing of substrate ingredients and didn't kill it off because of improper sterilization (problem dissapered with the introduction of a pressure cooker). The mycelium I found can beat this one though, but if you have more than enough jars you may just want to throw it away, when I used to grow I only did 3-4 jars at a time and so wasn't willing to lose any (LOL) .
What you need to do is isolate the contaminated jars from the rest and incubate at a much lower temp, but not so low as to stop mycelium growth. So if you incubate at around 30 C, drop down to 20 C (or a little less), you notice the pink growth slow dramatically and the slow but steady growth of mycelium will take over. Once fully colonized (will take longer than usual of course) I left for a few more days just to make sure all was good and then birthed. The cake did grow shrooms but not as many as the other jars (could have been because of the extended time in the jar losing moisture/water, mabye should have tried the dunk tek).

Anyway good luck and keep us posted

--------------------
We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum