Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Michigan Shrooms
    #672107 - 06/10/02 06:15 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, its been 80 for about a week now and still no shrooms in the cow pastures. I have a question for all you experienced shroomers, When is the best time to look for them? Please help me...

Ever since I first done them I wanted a pet cow in my back yard.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: Michigan Shrooms [Re: ]
    #672167 - 06/10/02 06:43 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

im in ohio, we are in the same boat i believe. Only active mushies are Panaeolus subbalteatus or Psilocybe caerulipes. Best bet would be subbs. I have looked at about 5 different spots that would be good for subbs. Found tons of mushies there none of which are the ones i wanted. Just started looken in man made mulch woodchip beds for P. caerulipes and finding argacius or somthing.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineGumbyM
Fishnologist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BRICK CITY!
Trusted Identifier
Re: Michigan Shrooms [Re: baraka]
    #672191 - 06/10/02 06:55 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

From what I've heard, Ps. caerulipes is an extremely elusive mushroom, very hard to find. Pan. subbs would also be a rare occurance that far north. Try looking in horse pastures instead of cow pastures, the subs tend to favor horse manure over cow's.

Peace out,
-Gumby

OfflineOrchidman
enthusiast
Loc: Toronto
Re: Michigan Shrooms [Re: ]
    #672470 - 06/11/02 01:39 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Try looking for the listings of the states surrounding you and Ontario. There has to be some overlap. Ontario has pan subs so you should have them. We also have some Gymnopilus which could be fun. Just because it isn't listed in your area doesn't mean it isn't there. Psilocybe cyanescens is being found in odd places such as New York and as far north as Ottawa. Psilocybe azurescens has been introduced in Virginia, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin. I am trying to establish Psilocybe cyanescens in my garden and then spread it around in the ravines of Toronto. I'm also going to try and naturalize Pan subs.

Don't forget we have had a very strange winter and delayed spring. I have been predicting a record mushroom year because of el nino and all the rain and humidity. I think you should have been finding some by now but people from stares in the Northeast are complaining about no mushrooms. They will be delayed for sure, but I can't believe that they might not arrive at all. The normal vegetation and trees and grass are so lush this year because of the extreme mild winter and rainy spring; why would the mushrooms be any different? It's possible because of the normal dry spell that occurs in May, and which didn't happen this year as it rained a lot in May, has changed things. Maybe they need a bit of a dry spell first and then more rain. Who knows? I say keep looking.

I am glad you said that about the Horse manurer and Pan subs. The cops rode their horses down the street beside work and dropped two huge loads of dung on the roadway. I was very embarrased, but I got out there with a shovel and scraped it up for my Pan subs. If they only knew that they were contributing to my delinquency, ha ha. I am making the bed from Timothy's Hay and the manurer and composted cattle manurer and grass clippings and other things I find. Trying to find cattle in the fifth largest city in North America is pretty hard, but there are lots of riding stables. I think I'm going to start riding again and searching for the pan subs along the trails. If I don't find them then I can innoculate the area and try to establish them. I can have my own little guerilla garden and most people will just ride on by. I could cover a lot of ground searching on a horse.

--------------------
I've been having psilly dreams lately

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: Michigan Shrooms [Re: Orchidman]
    #672771 - 06/11/02 08:19 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

There seams to be a lot more fungus in numbers then last year. Just not the ones im looking for. Walk around the block and ill spot thousands of foienescii

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineStInvetroThomas
Damn straight I'm a hunter.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Estonia
Re: Michigan Shrooms [Re: baraka]
    #674378 - 06/12/02 08:38 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Well put Orchidman...I won't make this post redundant by repeating what you said, so I will just add that I live in the great white north (Ontario) on the border of Quebec..really great mushroom area btw. I have logged countless hours and approx 200 km on foot in search of our magic little friends...with some success I might add. Found several different species of Gymnopolis...some very potent. Silvatica...unfortunatly threw them away before I id'd them. Several active panns...also did not keep them. and some potential unidentified psilos..still unidentified. I started a little late last year, good thing our season went until December...in Canada yeah right...hehe. I have also logged countless other species including a half dozen edible...and even some medicinal mushrooms. The key is determination, a lot of walking/driving, rain, wood mulch, grass, manure and rotten trees...and attention to detail, to name just a few. Lurking on these boards and buying yourself a mushroom guide are also useful things to do. Oh yeah and Orchidman...where did you hear about someone finding P. Cyanescens in Ottawa? I am just curious, because I have yet to find any here...if anyone will find them it will be moi...I am ruthless.

Wish List to find this year:

Ps. Quebecensis
Ps. Caerulipes
Pan casters
Ps. Semi...
Pan subbs
and any other unidentified flying mushrooms..

Cheers

--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification