Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: The elusive Blue foot...(Ps. Caerulipes), found!!! [Re: SThomas]
    #484890 - 12/09/01 09:24 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

I've been meaning to post a few images for you ST. I noticed you don't have "Psilocybin mushrooms of the world" which I have to say is a must, its a great book. Here are a few pics from pauls book.

This is another pic of Ps. quebecensis

And this is another pic of Ps. caerulipes.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: The elusive Blue foot...(Ps. Caerulipes), found!!! [Re: Lizard King]
    #484895 - 12/09/01 09:31 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

The book says that quebecensis will dry to a distinct grayish color, and caerulipes drys to a more yellow color. What color do your specimens dry to??

BTW: No ST, your not the only one who uses scent to ID mushies, I have a nose for magic myself :) I wish you all could smell Ps. weilii, its so distinct you would never forget it or miss it if you smelled it again :)

LK,

--------------------

OfflineSThomas
enthusiast
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Re: The elusive Blue foot...(Ps. Caerulipes), found!!! [Re: Lizard King]
    #484930 - 12/09/01 10:26 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Excellent thanks for the pics LK! based on your description and the pics they are most likely not the quebecensis, more likely the caerulipes...allthough they look more like the ones in the Audubon guide though, but mine were found growing in woodchips in a park next to a river in a low lying area...I just wish I had some money to get those pics developed now...arggh. I will be able to pick them up at the end of next week....eventually I will buy Pauls book as well, cheers.

--------------------
And that is all the news that's fit to print

OfflineSThomas
enthusiast
    #485134 - 12/09/01 02:39 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Hey LK, one more thing. What info does Stamets give on the quebecensis, it looks very similar to something we may have found in the past. Just curious, probably too late for this season to find them again...but would be good to know for future excursions. I will have to buy his book when I have the cash...cheers.

St Thomas

--------------------

Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
    #486178 - 12/10/01 03:43 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Looks like Levi7's trying to start a damn fight again...hehehe.... ; ) .......just pickin' on ya brother : )
Levi7's a good fellow.One of the best!

SThomas,I hope the mushroom you found is P.caerulipes.
I've been looking for this species myself, to no avail, since I was 16 years old,and now I'm 40 (don't say a word LK ,you young whippersnapper ; ).When I first discovered the Shroomery (2 years ago),I thought,surely someone here has found and picked this supposedly widespread psilocybe.But hell no,I ain't seen hide nor hair of the ol'bluefoot here.Seen a bunch of new species being discovered,but no caerulipes.I thought for sure Lizard King or GGreatOne would eventually run across it,but so far they've had no luck.(Hell,LK could probably find psilocybes growing in my grandma's underwear if he wanted to,he's got that "magic"gift ; ).
I've come to the assumption that the P. caerulipes is out there,probably under our very noses,but because of its small size,habitat,color,and lack of consistent bluing it is as stated in Audubon "often overlooked as just another little brown mushroom".
SThomas,if you get a chance,check some of my earlier posts in the hunting forum ( I think it was in August or Sept) of an unidentified mushroom that I found,to see if there is any similarities.Or you can just check my gallery at the Forest Floor.
I look forward to seeing your pics,whatever species the mushies may be.

doo

Here's a link to my gallery at the FF.There are pics of several types of mushrooms there,but you should be able to figure out which ones I mentioned earlier....they're the little brown mushies.....hehehe....
http://www.theforestfloor.org/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?subdir=/userdir/doo/

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

Edited by doo (12/10/01 03:50 PM)

OfflineSThomas
enthusiast
Re: The elusive Blue foot...(Ps. Caerulipes), found!!! [Re: doo]
    #487127 - 12/11/01 07:08 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Hey Doo, checked out the pics at the forest floor, there are several that look close...but many are not to sharp. Which ones in particular? Well I have just been seriously hunting now since October...thank God we had unseasonably warm and wet conditions this year. Even though I am fairly new at this game, biology was always one of my favorite subjects since I first struck out into the woods at the age of 5...often to my mothers horror...hehe. Several years ago when I played hookie from school I would also often end up at the University, go exploring and have some very enlightened conversations with among others Mycologists. I must say that this year i have been damb persistant, reading everything I could get my hands on, including this site and spending more hours than I care to mention in the field. Even when I am just going to buy milk or onmy way to work, I look at any habitat that might possibly be a host to mushrooms....lol. I have learned a lot, am still learning, but like LK said also, I think I have a nose for mushrooms. I will post my pics on Friday, then we can all see what we make of them...but if it is not the bluefoot than I don't know what else would be...maybe a new species...that would be cool.

--------------------

OfflineLevi7
old hand
Re: The elusive Blue foot...(Ps. Caerulipes), found!!! [Re: doo]
    #487330 - 12/11/01 12:18 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Hey, Doo!
I ain't trying to start anything. Seriously!
Although, I've told you almost exactly where this species grows. All you gotta do is drive there, man. I'm not gonna argue with the guy that asked me if I'm "experienced", but I know damn Psilocybe when I see one. Drive down there, man. I GUARANTEE you'll find Ps. caerulipes! Seriously!
Anyhow, Stay cool!-Levi7

OfflineSThomas
enthusiast
Re: The elusive Blue foot...(Ps. Caerulipes), found!!! [Re: Levi7]
    #487335 - 12/11/01 12:21 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Ok Levi, then you must be the only one I have been in contact with who has actually seen the bastards...that is if I haven't found them...but I still believe I have. So which photo's did they resemble the most? What were they growing in? etc. This is not just important to me...this is important to science....hehe.

--------------------

Offlinedoo
addict -crazy as a shithouse rat
 User Gallery

Loc: Slingshit, China
    #487418 - 12/11/01 01:17 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Levi,I know you weren't trying to start anything,I was just pickin' on you,brother ; )And you are absolutely right,you told me exactly where to find'em.I've even checked out maps for that area,and I'm fairly sure I shouldn't have too much trouble locating them once I get down there,thanks to your info.Just finding the time (it's tough when you have crazy teenage kids) to do it has been my main problem. But, come hell or high water,I'm gonna make the trip eventually,and probably head on down to see LK in the process.Maybe even get down to the sunshine state and get GG to show me how he takes such great pics.
As for you being "experienced",from what I've seen, you know your psilocybes as well as anyone here,and I'll stand by your diagnosis any time.
You stay cool,and keep on pickin' that guitar!

doo

--------------------
- Arguing with a woman, is like trying to blow out a light bulb-

OfflineLevi7
old hand
    #489683 - 12/13/01 10:00 AM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Well, LK is right. Ps. caerulscens and Ps. Weilii are both gonna be found in warmer year-round weather. This is why they are the species that they are. Although, I'm thinking Ps. Weilii, I have absolutely NO experience with this mushroom, other than LK's IDs! Yes, I do FEEL this mushroom now, LK!! Hehe!
Anyway, I don't think it is Ps. caerulipes. It could very well be Ps. caerulipes, but I don't think so. This is only me, though.
Now, MJ suggested Ps. quebecensis. If MJ says so, then well, it is either Ps. quebecensis or possibly a Ps. SUBquebecensis, as none of us have ANY experience with anything in Ontario. This is why it becomes an iffy ordeal.
Psilocybes, in general, share alot of characteristics. All have the purple-brown spores. Quite a few have veil remnants that are dusted with the spores. Consider Ps. Stuntzii, Ps. fimetaria, Ps. subfemitaria and Ps. cubensis. MANY have wave caps. Consider Ps. Stuntzii, Ps. cyanescens and Ps. Weilii. Many have light-caramel-colored caps. Consider Ps. Weilii, Ps. Stuntzii, Ps. baeocystis and Ps. cearulipes. Many have red-toned Caramel caps. Consider Ps. cyanescens, Ps. azurescens and also at times, Ps. baeocystis.
So, in this case as well as many others, if us Shroomerite hunters are stumpted and MJ says Ps. quebecensis, then well, we'll have to go with Ps. quebecensis.
Again, I am almost positive that your mushroom is not Ps. caerulipes. Although, Ps. caerulipes may live a little different in Ontario vs. South Carolina.
Stay cool!-Levi7.

Offlinepsilocybian
enthusiast
    #489832 - 12/13/01 12:39 PM (22 years, 3 months ago)

Goddamnit, I KNOW I have seen mushrooms like the caerulipes LK posted in the above pic. I always diss-missed them though, cause momma always told me to forget ones with white-ish gills.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale