Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Another casing question...
    #634467 - 05/17/02 01:08 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Okay...you birth your cake, you flip it so it's "top side up" again...now you slice it horizontally into even-sized slices to case. How thick or thin should your slices be? I plan on using the foil breadpan trays you see in the picture forum often...and I'm hoping one 1/2 pint cake is sufficient to case one pan.

Any advice or tips about slicing the cakes? I'm wondering if you make the slice too thin if it will stunt growth...

Thanks in advance!

Love & Light,

Boppity

np: Chi-A.D. "Blue Effect" [unreleased]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinevatoloco
Puppet Hunter -DBK
Post deleted by MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST [Re: Boppity604]
    #634620 - 05/17/02 04:01 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Re: Another casing question... [Re: vatoloco]
    #634628 - 05/17/02 04:08 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Hi VL!

Thanks for the tips. I've been hearing the opposite in the crumble vs. slice debate. I was told by a few cultivators that slices keep the mycellium more evenly layered in the casing "sandwich" and makes for a fuller grow.

I plan on using the typical bread loaf pans you see in the picture forum...how many 1/2 cakes should I try to fit into one? If I cut the wide mouth cakes ( I have the WM jars) into two I'm thinking two cakes per pan will work fine. But again, this is gonna be my first go of it...and all advice is being noted and contemplated.

Love & Light,

Boppity

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: Another casing question... [Re: Boppity604]
    #634763 - 05/17/02 06:20 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

if you are talkin' about the disposible bread pans that are somethin' like 12" x 4" x 3" then i suggest you use at least three cakes per casing. you could get away with two, but your substrate layer will be very thin which will result in smaller flushes/mushies.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Re: Another casing question... [Re: geokills]
    #635061 - 05/18/02 04:23 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

VT & Geo,

Thank you both for the additional advice.

VT: To answer your question...my plans are to try and do the best to ensure maximum fruits for all flushes. hehe And being a newbie I'm trying to mentally cover all bases going in. I can say after reading the Casing FAQ here at Shroomery I've decided on using a bottom casing layer as well as a top layer. Still have to buy all the ingredients for my substrates and casing mixtures. I'm going to use the typical PF Tek verm/BRF/H2O substrate and the 50/50+ casing mix.

Geo:
>>i suggest you use at least three cakes per casing. you could get away with two, but your substrate layer will be very thin which will result in smaller flushes/mushies.

Wow...how thick of a substrate/mycellium layer should I be shooting for in those 12x4x3 pans?? 3 cakes seems like almost 3/4th the container. I didn't realize the substrate layer needed to be so thick. I assumed it was thinner looking at the pictures on the picture forum. Thanks for helping clarify this point for me.

So if the goal is to get a full/even layer between the casing mix layers is to ensure a healthy/strong mycellium growth...and if I choose to use slices for the main control element to keep the layer size uniform (filling in gaps with crumbled substrate as well) should I just use as many cakes as it is necessary to bring the substrate layer to 2/3 full in the container? I plan on laying down a one-inch 50/50+ layer at the bottom, then the substrate with about another one-inch 50/50+ layer on the top.

Should the pans be filled right to the top or should there be a small gap/rim for growth to space out or is that not an issue? Sorry if the questions seem "simple or obvious" but I'm trying to keep any contamination/loss to a minimum as I sure we all do.

Thanks again for all advice and tips!

Love & Light,

Boppity

np: Jaia "Rebirth"

Offlinegoolag
Rx

Loc: Stable
    #635065 - 05/18/02 04:29 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

The thicker the substrate the more prolific fruitings you will get, but never go over 4" I believe. Your casing layer should be a 1/4 of what your substrate layer is. So if your substrate is 2" thick then your casing layer would be a 1/2" thick.

--------------------
goolag

[url=http://shroomery.org/faq/]Check out
the Shroomery FAQ
[/url]

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
Re: Another casing question... [Re: goolag]
    #635072 - 05/18/02 04:36 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Goolag,

Thank you very much!

Love & Light,

Boppity

np: Hallucinogen "Angelic Particles"

OfflineAddict
addict

#635178 - 05/18/02 06:40 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

-I'm wondering if you make the slice too thin if it will stunt growth...

It will I used 2 half pint widemouth cakes to make a straight verm casing I sliced them very thin and I still could only cover half the tray with thin slices of the cake this resulted in me getting only 1 good flush and a very very shitty 2nd flush = waste, I was wondering what you were wondering to what is wise to do crumble or slice and how thick should the slices be? Some of you are saying you throw the whole cake in there well how do you exactly do that just plop in on its side on your verm bottom layer then throw the top layer on it?!?!

OfflineAddict
addict

Re: Another casing question... [Re: Addict]
    #635517 - 05/18/02 02:09 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #635822 - 05/18/02 07:48 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

my dog Kitzu used to crumble cakes.

i think that he had the substrate 3" to 4" thick.
and a casing layer of 1/4" per inch of substrate.

Kitzu does horse poo now.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder