Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Microscope, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinerad4u
Stranger
 User Gallery
Identification of a wild growing mushroom...
    #6093152 - 09/23/06 02:44 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

To whom it may concern:

I need help identifying a specific type of wild growing mushrooms that have sprouted up inside my dog's fenced-in bathroom area.

I have old wood chips approx. 3 inches deep and they poop and pee on top of it. I just noticed the mushrooms about 4 days ago and they appeared by the hundreds if not thousands. They are relatively small, light brown / beige color, some have a flat round top and others look like they have jagged edges.

I've included a picture to see if anyone knows about this specific type. I'm concerned because the dogs stay in the house with us and I'm afraid that they may be getting spores on their feet and legs and bringing them into the house / carpet, where our 3 years old daughter plays.

Can anyone please help me identify if these have poisonous spores and if so, what is the best way to deal with this situation? Please feel free to contact us directly at rad4u@comcast.net

Thank you,
Robert & Rose

Please click here to view images of the mushrooms in question:

Edited by rad4u (09/23/06 03:12 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineVampireSlayer
killing ghosts,zombies andvampires forlife
Male User Gallery

Re: Identification of a wild growing mushroom... [Re: rad4u]
    #6093279 - 09/23/06 03:25 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

when you have mushrooms that are generally brown and small, most people in the mushroom field call them little brown mushrooms (LBM's). they say this because it is nearly impossible to identify them without a spore print and/or looking at it through a microscope.

don't worry about poisonous mushrooms in your yard too much as long as you don't let your daughter pick them or anything. I have dogs and they never mess with mushrooms. whatever you do don't eat them. I don't think the spores themself are poison i think it is the mushroom flesh.

--------------------
I Don't come to fight flesh and blood but spiritual wickedness in high and low places

Edited by Pikashroom (09/23/06 03:38 PM)

Offlinenobhdy
ETNAV
Male

Loc: CT
    #6093400 - 09/23/06 04:23 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

not sure, but they are beautiful.

--------------------
[quote]Gumby said:
And if you are going to waste peoples time with your stupid questions, at least try to have grammar skills higher then that of a 7th grader.

READ DAMNIT! [/quote]

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Identification of a wild growing mushroom... [Re: nobhdy]
    #6093650 - 09/23/06 06:46 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

You don't need to worry about the spores.  Mushroom spores are not poisonous, despite the alleged edibility of the mushroom itself.  :smile:

--------------------

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #6093664 - 09/23/06 06:52 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I can't even really see the gills on any of them. The pics are too small and lacking detail to rely on alone. You need to fill out a description complete with spore print. See the sticky threads at the top of the forum (you were supposed to read those before even posting).

Welcome to the Shroomery.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Identification of a wild growing mushroom... [Re: eris]
    #6094983 - 09/24/06 06:22 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

There's only one example of something that remotely resembles spore poisoning. It's when people get lung problems when inhaling massive amounts of oyster mushroom spores. There's an emphasis on massive here, because I'm certainly not referring to minute amounts of spore dust you may inhale when stumbling upon a nice cluster of oysters in the woods or when buying them in your local grocery stores. The 'mushroom workers lung' syndrome occurs in individuals who are, for instance, engaged in large-scale indoor growing of oyster mushrooms and therefore can come into contact with large amounts of oyster mushroom spores for several hours a day (ref: Mushroom worker's lung resulting from indoor cultivation of Pleurotus osteatus).

Other health effects resulting from inhalation of mushroom spores, especially of the negligably minute amounts that are likely to be inhaled in this case, are unknown and extremely unlikely.

Conclusion: don't worry. Enjoy the sight of those mushrooms in your garden!

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Identification of a wild growing mushroom... [Re: koraks]
    #6095022 - 09/24/06 07:18 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Ha, craziness.  That is good to know.  :smile:

--------------------

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
    #6095138 - 09/24/06 10:20 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

There is actually another documented case that happened in Wisconsin 10 years ago or so. Several people at a party inhaled the spores of the puffball Lycoperdon perlatum. Many of them ended up at the hospital. Strangely, many people became quite ill immediately suggesting some type of allergic reaction. The jackass who convinced people to inhale the spores ended up in a coma 2 days later with fungal pneumonia. He ended up having to have a portion of his lung removed.
I would imagine that they inhaled billions of spores, nothing like what would happen if you were just sniffing some mushroom in the forest.

For refs: thom volks fungi page where Lycoperdon is fungus of the month. Also i did a google search for 'inhaling puffball spores' and found an actual article describing this incredibly stupid event.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Identification of a wild growing mushroom... [Re: xmush]
    #6095734 - 09/24/06 03:25 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Interesting piece of information, xmush! Sounds kinda plausible as well, although I imagine this case of puffball-spore-poisoning must be an isolated incident indeed as nobody in their right mind would willfully inhale large amount of puffball powder. Apart from really deranged kids that assume every mushroom could be hallucinogenic, of course...

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
    #6095759 - 09/24/06 03:34 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Yep, the person who ended up the sickest told his friends that he had been inhaling the spores for 3 days and that they had made him hallucinate. Sounds like he might have been hallucinating before hand to think this would work!

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #6096211 - 09/24/06 06:40 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Oh my god, what a fucking retard. Now THAT I am gonna have to look up. Hehe.

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
    #6097494 - 09/25/06 03:52 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

xmush said:
Yep, the person who ended up the sickest told his friends that he had been inhaling the spores for 3 days and that they had made him hallucinate.

I guess he was experiencing oxygen deficiency, which made hum hallucinate :wink: In that case, he might as well recommended the party guests to put a plastic bag over their heads...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Microscope, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification