Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
Eating fresh mushrooms from cow patties may not be such a good idea.
A friend went to Mexico and ate some Palenque shrooms fresh picked from the fields. After returning to the U.S. about three weeks he started feeling terrible. Symptoms too numerous to count,but some were red measle like spots all over body,sore throat,lethargy,malaise, severe flu- like illness.
A parasite check by Great Smokies Diagnostic Lab:
http://www.gsdl.com/gsdl/ revealed three different parasites in his system.
1-Entamoeba coli trophozoites
2-Moderate Entamoeba histolytica cysts and trophozoites
3-Many Blastocystis hominis
Three 10 day treatments with Flaygl(metronidazole) finally killed the infestation.
Many U.S. Labs do not SEEM to perform an analysis that will reveal internal parasites much smaller than the large nematodes and their eggs,i.e.tapeworms,hookworms,etc. That is why I included the link to GSDL.
If you are young and healthy, you may be able to carry a significant parasite burden for a long time, without realizing it. I highly recommend, if you have been consuming these fresh wild shrooms, that you consider getting checked should you began feeling off baseline for an extended period and the U.S. doctors can't find the problem.
These nematode parasites that he had are water borne(ie. they live in the water you wash the shrooms off with not on the shrooms themselves) You should be good eating fresh shrooms as long as you don't also drink the water in Mexico and as long as you don't eat any of the cow shit. Wash them with bottled water.