Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
National Audobon Society Field Guide to North America Mushrooms.
No Simple test can determine whether a mushroom is edible or poisonous. The only way to be certain is to know exactly what species you have found. Only experience can teach you to recognize characteristics that differentiate edible from poisonous species.
There are some rules of thumb that can be helpful: 1) do not eat any Amanita species and be especially careful in identifying Amanita look-alikes or any other white mushroom; 2) avoid little brown mushrooms ("LBM's") and large brownish mushrooms, especially those with pinkish, brownish, purple-brown, or blackish gills; 3) avoid false morels.
Only a few mushrooms cause life-threatening illness. Many others cause mild to severe poisoning.
Hallucinogenic mushrooms containing psilocybin cause other and sometimes unpredictable reactions. Some mushroom toxins affect the central nervous system, others the peripheral nervous system, but most cause mild to severe gastrointestinal upset. Some people react adversely to species that are harmless for most, and some react adversely to species they have eaten before without ill effects. Typical symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, cramps, and vomiting.
If you suspect you have mushroom poisoning, seek medical attention immediately and bring along whole, uncooked samples of the mushrooms you have eaten.
The only 2 mushroom poisonings I know off hand is 1. When my dog was 3 years old she ate what looked ot be a puff ball, I was out but mum said 'tosca' was vomiting,had diarehha,shaking, salivating,panting and was lying on its side in destress. Luckily she didnt die, she still has shakes when she is in deep sleep like little shivers to this day.
2. When I was 10 a kid from my primary school and in my class had to be rushed to hospital after he came into class sweating,vomiting and acting weird. He had eaten part of a large white mushroom some other kids had found growing in long grass under the Acacia tree, he did it for a dare. What an idiot!!!