Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebigj2647
Stranger
which deadly posionus mushrooms grow in western WA state?
    #1487615 - 04/23/03 09:40 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

i was just wondering if anyone had any pictures and names of the deadly posionus mushrooms species that grow in western washington state. thanks alot

-mark

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: which deadly posionus mushrooms grow in western WA state? [Re: bigj2647]
    #1487621 - 04/23/03 09:42 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Locked and put in the hunting forum...

*click !

Anonymous

Re: which deadly posionus mushrooms grow in western WA state? [Re: bigj2647]
    #1487796 - 04/23/03 10:51 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: which deadly posionus mushrooms grow in western WA state [Re: ]
    #1488108 - 04/24/03 12:50 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

There aren't that many deadly poisonous msuhrooms overall. It's a good idea to learn the various groups of them so that you can make sure you're not eating any of them.

The genera you should focus on avoiding (in rough order of importance) are:

Galerina
Amanita
Lepiota
Conocybe
Cortinarius
Paxillus
Hypholoma

There are edible members of some of these genera, but when learning to identify mushrooms, you should try to focus on figuring out the family, then the genus, then the species. The first 2 on that list you should learn to avoid strongly. Galerinas are dangerous primarily to hunters of psychedelic mushrooms. Amanitas cause more deaths than any other group of mushrooms.

Good luck!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinefatasaurus
pinger
Loc: Melbourne, Vic, AU
Re: which deadly posionus mushrooms grow in western WA state [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1488492 - 04/24/03 05:37 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hmmmm looking for deadly posionous mushrooms hey.....trying to kill someone you dont like ? =D

j/k, all i know is dont eat anything unless your sure itsone that make you trip. You dont need to learn the posionous ones =)

--------------------
"You can't make the scene, if you don't have the green"

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: which deadly posionus mushrooms grow in western WA state [Re: fatasaurus]
    #1488511 - 04/24/03 06:05 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

some of us are eating mushrooms that are not active. if you are eating wild mushrooms then YES you SHOULD learn which ones are poisonous!! in fact, your staement contains failed circular logic. how can i pick a wild mushroom and KNOW that it is safe to eat (active or not) if I am not aware of what a poisonous one might look like?

Edited by debianlinux (04/24/03 06:06 AM)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #1488514 - 04/24/03 06:06 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

all i know is dont eat anything unless your sure itsone that make you trip. You dont need to learn the posionous ones =)

that's a remarkably closed-minded attitude, and when it coems to mushroom hunting it is a dangerous one.

unless you happen to be a large, flightles, dopy looking bird, sticking your head in the sand about something that could kill you is not a good idea.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Edited by concretefeet (04/24/03 06:07 AM)

Offlinefatasaurus
pinger
Loc: Melbourne, Vic, AU
Re: which deadly posionus mushrooms grow in western WA state [Re: canid]
    #1488794 - 04/24/03 09:07 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

You guys misunderstood me......

What i was saying was you identify the one you are looking for not the ones you arn't. If you are looking for active ones then you find out which active ones are around and identify them beyond doubt. Same goes for ones not active. You identify them beyond doubt that there the ones your after, you dont just go out and eat anything that isn't deadly poisonous.

--------------------
"You can't make the scene, if you don't have the green"

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1489935 - 04/24/03 02:49 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Actually I myself teach people what never to pick before I teach them what to pick.

AS for identifying them. Remember that a 16 year old girl died from eating Galerina autumnalis thinking they were P. stuntzii (blue ringers.

There are comparison photos of poisonous species and they hallucinogenic look-a-likes at my site in my field guide to shrooms.

http://www.mushroomjohn.com/species.htm

Remember also I have over 2000 shroom photos of 55 speices of psilocybian mushrooms at my site.

mj

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #1490008 - 04/24/03 03:09 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

I think the intelligent people here would rather know what is going to kill them than what is going to make them trip. What you've said makes me sad to read.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1490342 - 04/24/03 04:48 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Those of us who want people to learn the deadly mushrooms want it because of history. There is a long and unfortunate history of people who thought they were identifying the mushrooms they were going to eat (for whatever reason) correctly who accidentally misidentified some and ate deadly mushrooms.

There are truly not that many mushrooms you need to avoid, and the characteristics to learn are not that difficult. Once you know them you can avoid anything which is even close. You will misidentify some mushrooms it was actually OK to eat that way, but the risk to benefit ratio is much better. Considering the consequences of misidentification each way, this way gives much better results.

Please don't take risks when eating mushrooms.

There is a person in a hospital in the Los Angeles area right now who misidentified some mushrooms they ate and who may have to have a liver transplant. There is still the possibility that they may not survive.

They thought they knew how to identify a mushroom it was OK to eat. This is the most common cause of fatal mushroom poisonings.

Given the risks involved in making an error it is much more important to not make an error than it is to be successful.

And those of us who try to help and advise people who are learning to identify mushrooms to eat will keep our focus on safety.

I'm telling you all this so you understand why there are all these posts arguing against your idea of teaching people to identify only those mushrooms they want to eat. They certainly need to know how to identify anything they're going to eat. But people take short cuts and want an easy way to do it. And the result is tragic mistakes.

An average of 3 people every 2 years die of mushroom poisoning in the US. I'd prefer if it were zero.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinecardboard
digitalautomatedansweringmachine

Loc: pac northwest
Re: which deadly posionus mushrooms grow in western WA state [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1492354 - 04/25/03 08:28 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Indeed, the whole fun and mystery behind foraging for fungus is identifying what you find. After awhile of course you can sort out macroscopic features common to different families and your good to go. If you pick a Galerina and eat it thinking its a blue ringer than you probably deserve your painful fate.

--------------------
stay off my land

Anonymous

Re: which deadly posionus mushrooms grow in western WA state [Re: cardboard]
    #1492516 - 04/25/03 09:24 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: which deadly posionus mushrooms grow in western WA state [Re: ]
    #1493717 - 04/25/03 03:16 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

leave it to mr mushrooms to quote gandalf.  jk man i love that movie and the books :smile:  he has a point tho dont  be so quick to judge.  peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Anonymous

Re: which deadly posionus mushrooms grow in western WA state [Re: blaze2]
    #1493722 - 04/25/03 03:19 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract