Home | Community | Message Board


Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblenuGGs
Stranger
 User Gallery
Registered: 07/05/02
Posts: 308
parasites
    #870680 - 09/08/02 11:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

ok, so friday i find these mushrooms chilling around my friends house. they look like they could be pan subbs so i go inside and lay them down for some spore prints. sunday we check on the shroom and there is about 50 or 60 little worm things crawling around on the inside of the glass. the mushroom looked like it had been melted and it had a horrible smell to it. my question is how can you tell if your shrooms are infested with these little buggers??? and if you did happen to eat them what would happen to you? thanks in advance
-nuGGs


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: nuGGs]
    #870784 - 09/09/02 12:46 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)



Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Registered: 08/15/02
Posts: 52,140
Loc: ON DA BLOCK
Last seen: 6 months, 7 days
Re: parasites [Re: Anonymous]
    #870788 - 09/09/02 12:50 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

hmmm i couldnt tell ya


--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Registered: 06/28/02
Posts: 6,484
Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Last seen: 12 hours, 6 minutes
Trusted Identifier
Re: parasites [Re: nuGGs]
    #870838 - 09/09/02 01:16 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

The delightful maggots you describe are the larvae of fungus gnats, insects which live to eat mushrooms. They are very common in many species of edible (and other) mushrooms. The easiest way to detect them is to cut your mushrooms in half vertically in the field. If you see lots of tunnels left behind by their burrowing you are probably better off leaving the mushroom where you found it. Sometimes you will even find the mushroom completely hollowed out so that it collapses when you touch it or attempt to pick it (if you look inside it will be filled with active maggots).

Dr Jack States, who spent much of his career studying ecology of mushrooms, told me that the eggs are already in the mushrooms when they emerge from the ground. The fungus gnats apparently can detect (smell?) the mycelium growing and lay their eggs in the mushroom primordia before they develop into mushrooms (that's why there are no telltale holes on the mushroom). One of the unfortunate effects of this is that you can slice a mushroom open, find no tunnels or maggots, take the mushroom home and put it into the refrigerator, come back in a few days, and find that your beautiful mushrooms are now vile masses of writhing maggots.

One way to prevent this is to microwave the mushrooms (not enough to cook them - say 30 seconds). The microwaves kill the eggs (and any maggots). Others are rapid drying of the mushrooms, and, of course, cooking the mushrooms.

As far as eating them, I know several people who ignore them (and eat them) who have suffered no ill effects. Eating insects is a common practice in other parts of the world. The greatest risk is probably due to the potential for food poisoning caused by bacteria in the maggots' feces. If you eat wild mushrooms, you will almost certainly eat a few, at least by accident. Most people (at least in the US) consider eating them disgusting (to say the least), but it is pretty harmless in small quantities.

Incidentally, you should only need a couple hours at most for the majority of spore prints. Leaving the mushrooms for a couple days is asking for them to rot and risking food poisoning.


--------------------
Happy mushrooming!


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDobie
Dopeless Hopefiend
Male User Gallery
Registered: 08/15/02
Posts: 52,140
Loc: ON DA BLOCK
Last seen: 6 months, 7 days
Re: parasites [Re: ToxicMan]
    #870863 - 09/09/02 01:29 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yea nothing is more apitizing then boiling up some azure tea and seeing maggots floating around


--------------------
This place is gayer than when the balls touch


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Help!! Maggots!!
( 1 2 all )
Linja 4,027 30 06/02/06 01:18 PM
by doodoomaster
* parasites? deathcapcubensis 1,584 19 11/11/04 11:20 AM
by darkstar122982
* parasites?!? thedudenj 555 7 05/17/09 05:15 PM
by thedudenj
* Is it OK to eat rotten, maggot infested shrooms?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
e32lover 14,682 66 12/01/15 11:29 PM
by NothingsChanged
* Taking care of maggots Sheepish 2,094 13 10/22/05 09:15 AM
by VolvoxBox
* Maggots and Pan. Cyans. empty_spaces 1,040 4 03/02/06 11:18 AM
by sui
* Larvae / Maggots in my liberty caps!!! Ego Death 3,259 7 09/07/15 01:29 PM
by Blazeyy
* Bacteria?parasites?sickness?death? Beauville 1,038 4 04/21/03 01:21 AM
by blaze2

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, TimmiT, Joust, Tmethyl
852 topic views. 5 members, 17 guests and 17 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2017 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.039 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 14 queries.