Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Human brain and species memory
    #605532 - 04/11/02 05:17 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

If salmon (one example) can remember to swim hundreds of miles to specific places to spawn they must be born with a brain that stores this information. What does the human brain store of it's own history?

I've experienced a memory of the moment the human brain first became self-aware. Something that i had never read or thought about but it was very vivid and appeared to be an experience stored by my brain. Do brains have longer histories? Or are we all complete blank sheets at birth?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Human brain and species memory [Re: Xlea321]
    #605552 - 04/11/02 05:42 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Good questions...
They might not ever be answered. Dissecting and experimenting on humans would probably help answer it... but how sick is that? Maybe more advanced, non-invasive imaging techniques would be able to map the brain, but something like that isn't in the near future.

I'm really into this sort of topic- I'm going into the field of cognitive science. What do I currently think the answers to your questions are?

1. I don't think the human brain (not an individual's, right, but the species as a whole?) stores any information from prior generations. The only way the past is realized is through what we learn of it.

2. I think we are pretty much blank slates at birth (as far as history is concerned). Though we have had about 9 months (I don't know offhand when the first brain cell is created) worth of in utero experience, so I figure that that affects us much. Rhythmic heartbeats, the sound of our mother's voice, motion.... I think these primitive stimuli play a huge role in the building of our neural architecture.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
Loc: MA
    #605560 - 04/11/02 05:54 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Personally, I think that humans have a sort of a collective consciousness. I have experienced vivid memories and imagery of events that I've never been a part of and of times I have never lived. Perhaps I have an overactive imagination and I am falsely interpretting this as a genuine memory, but I think that I am tapping into something that stores all is knowledge.

I don't know if you believe in this stuff or not, but I think its either that or you are attributing memory to your imagination. In order for you to be born with that kind of knowledge, it would have to be coded into your DNA, and DNA can't really store this kind of information (it can only encode proteins).

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

#605595 - 04/11/02 06:45 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

are you familiar with Rupert Sheldrake's "morphic resonance" theory?

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

#605608 - 04/11/02 07:03 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

...anyway morphic resonance is basicly the infuence of the like on like, and is the process that maintains the habits. when rats learn a new trick in London, rats in New York will learn the same trick faster, when a compound is first crystallised in a lab it will be easier to be crystallised in every other lab. this is because of what i think is called "morphogenetic field", which basically means that nature may well have an inherent memory. this theory is still being tested, but results tend to show that it is actually true. so, this may be how salmons know where to swim...

this also means that your experience on mushrooms may well be affected by every other person that has tripped on mushrooms till now, and also that your experience contributes in shaping the mushroom's morphogenetic field for everyone else to experience...

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Human brain and species memory [Re: skaMariaPastora]
    #606015 - 04/12/02 03:38 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Why would you lean towards a collective unconscious, which is hypothetical, rather than a vivid imagination, which humans are known to possess in abundance?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
Loc: MA
Re: Human brain and species memory [Re: Swami]
    #606167 - 04/12/02 09:21 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Sure, we could just blame it all on imagination, but imagination is just a concept, hardly a tangible fact. We know where imagination comes from just about as well as we know where a collective unconscious comes from. We don't understand how neurons generate new concepts, and even less what a memory is and how it is stored. So that explanation is on just as weak a footing as the collective unconscious, its just that the former has been widely used. Maybe it could be imagination, but I don't really have enough information to say for sure one way or the other.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #606253 - 04/12/02 12:08 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Never felt shrooms and imagination/dreams were similar at all. They seem to be completely different.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#606407 - 04/12/02 02:23 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Disregarding conecpts and origins, I have directly experienced imagination: daydreaming, fantasizing, writing music and stories, etc., but have never knowingly experienced any collective unconscious.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#606408 - 04/12/02 02:23 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Disregarding concepts and origins, I have directly experienced imagination: daydreaming, fantasizing, writing music and stories, etc., but have never knowingly experienced any collective unconscious.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #606842 - 04/12/02 11:47 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

If you knowingly experienced it, it wouldn't be unconcious now would it?

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #606941 - 04/13/02 02:35 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Do you imagine the same experiences you have on shrooms? Strange, I certainly never have dreams similar to mushroom experiences.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology