Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Psycho-acid-brain-garble OR mild mannered imagination???
    #2211579 - 12/31/03 10:38 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Came to a realization a couple days ago

When I see certain pictures or hear certain sounds and smells they evoke intense feelings of certain 'situations'.. Like I see little stories behind things. I feel like I have been there before. For a long time I've thought this sort of thing was a result of tripping alot, and I got a little nervous about being sucked into my mind like that by certain stimuli.

Well I've been recalling more of my childhood lately and I'm starting to remember that I always did that when I was younger. It wasnt from too much acid, it's just my imagination. STrange I think I've forgotten significant chunks of my own life. Childhood seems like another galaxy alltogether or some kind of faded dream.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
Re: Psycho-acid-brain-garble OR mild mannered imagination??? [Re: Grav]
    #2211597 - 12/31/03 10:49 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

I forget what it's called, but there are people who can "taste" color, or shapes. I wonder if that's what you have. I'll see if I can find that. It's like being on LSD, is my understanding.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Offlinebumski
cattle russler

Re: Psycho-acid-brain-garble OR mild mannered imagination??? [Re: Frog]
    #2211602 - 12/31/03 10:53 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

"I wonder what great dane tastes like."

--------------------
Cheech: Hey man, the house is bein' raided man! opsCays! You hear me man? get-outski!

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Psycho-acid-brain-garble OR mild mannered imagination??? [Re: Frog]
    #2211604 - 12/31/03 10:55 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

No, I don't think it's anything abnormal... (it would be cool if it was though)

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#2211609 - 12/31/03 11:01 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

And after this realization I suddenly feel able to relax like I never have as long as I can remember. I'm not sure why exactly... It feels like I know more of where I came from, I see the root, I know its there. I'm not so scared of losing perspective.

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
    #2211630 - 12/31/03 11:17 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

> I forget what it's called, but there are people who can "taste" color, or shapes. I wonder if that's what you have. I'll see if I can find that. It's like being on LSD, is my understanding.

I think it called syntenesia or something like that

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

Anonymous

Re: Psycho-acid-brain-garble OR mild mannered imagination??? [Re: EvilGir]
    #2211636 - 12/31/03 11:23 AM (20 years, 3 months ago)

synesthesia: 1. A condition in which one type of stimulation evokes the sensation of another, as when the hearing of a sound produces the visualization of a color.

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Psycho-acid-brain-garble OR mild mannered imagination??? [Re: ]
    #2211702 - 12/31/03 12:07 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mr_Mushrooms said:
synesthesia: 1. A condition in which one type of stimulation evokes the sensation of another, as when the hearing of a sound produces the visualization of a color.

Um, that's what I was going to say. :grin:

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #2211745 - 12/31/03 12:22 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Today I was looking around the garden and trying to imagine the taste of everything that I saw. Grass, tree, fence, wall, pot, flower etc etc. I found that it was surprisingly easy to do, and I found that pretty strange. Even things that I had no good reason to know what they tasted like.

(Hmm.. I just read over that last paragraph. I really am strange.)

I suppose the difference between that and synesthesia is that someone with synesthesia actually *does* taste things which they see visually (for example) as opposed to just imagining that they do. But is there much difference between imagining a taste and actually TASTING a taste? The only difference seems to be in intensity.

I'm pretty high right now.

--------------------

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Re: Psycho-acid-brain-garble OR mild mannered imagination??? [Re: Revelation]
    #2211759 - 12/31/03 12:29 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

May 2003 issue

NEUROSCIENCE

Hearing Colors, Tasting Shapes
People with synesthesia--whose senses blend together--are providing valuable clues to understanding the organization and functions of the human brain
By Vilayanur S. Ramachandran and Edward M. Hubbard

Synesthesia (from the Greek roots syn, meaning "together," and aisthesis, or "perception") is a condition in which otherwise normal people experience the blending of two or more senses.
For decades, the phenomenon was often written off as fakery or simply memories, but it has recently been shown to be real. Perhaps it occurs because of cross activation, in which two normally separate areas of the brain elicit activity in each other.

As scientists explore the mechanisms involved in synesthesia, they are also learning about how the brain in general processes sensory information and uses it to make abstract connections between seemingly unrelated inputs.

When Matthew Blakeslee shapes hamburger patties with his hands, he experiences a vivid bitter taste in his mouth. Esmerelda Jones (a pseudonym) sees blue when she listens to the note C sharp played on the piano; other notes evoke different hues--so much so that the piano keys are actually color-coded, making it easier for her to remember and play musical scales. And when Jeff Coleman looks at printed black numbers, he sees them in color, each a different hue. Blakeslee, Jones and Coleman are among a handful of otherwise normal people who have synesthesia. They experience the ordinary world in extraordinary ways and seem to inhabit a mysterious no-man's-land between fantasy and reality. For them the senses--touch, taste, hearing, vision and smell--get mixed up instead of remaining separate.

Modern scientists have known about synesthesia since 1880, when Francis Galton, a cousin of Charles Darwin, published a paper in Nature on the phenomenon. But most have brushed it aside as fakery, an artifact of drug use (LSD and mescaline can produce similar effects) or a mere curiosity. About four years ago, however, we and others began to uncover brain processes that could account for synesthesia. Along the way, we also found new clues to some of the most mysterious aspects of the human mind, such as the emergence of abstract thought, metaphor and perhaps even language.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&articleID=0003014B-9D06-1E8F-8EA5809EC5880000

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Psycho-acid-brain-garble OR mild mannered imagination??? [Re: Revelation]
    #2211767 - 12/31/03 12:31 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Really?

Here's a new one and then I am off.

Agnosia

This is where you may look at an object but be unable to tell what it is until you smell, taste, etc, it. You could look straight at a rose and not know what it was until you smelled it.

Weird huh?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2211835 - 12/31/03 12:55 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, MM we have all been there. I have used the well-worn, "I have agnosia" line at singles bars and its inevitable follow-up, but to no avail. Now I use the much preferred "I have (a) Ferrari" line.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Anonymous

Re: Psycho-acid-brain-garble OR mild mannered imagination??? [Re: Swami]
    #2212132 - 12/31/03 03:15 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

:lol:

You are making it incredibly clear that you are a :nut:!

Offlinedaba
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2212418 - 12/31/03 05:50 PM (20 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Grav said:
When I see certain pictures or hear certain sounds and smells they evoke intense feelings of certain 'situations'.. Like I see little stories behind things. I feel like I have been there before. For a long time I've thought this sort of thing was a result of tripping alot, and I got a little nervous about being sucked into my mind like that by certain stimuli.

This is true. That is why we must have experiences that are good and with good people!

I gave this song to this woman I dislike (but I didn't dislike her when I gave her the song!). Now everytime I hear this song (which I used to adore), it makes me sick to my stomach.

--------------------
Fold for The Shroomery!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale