Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Audiophiles: Best "bang for your buck" in studio monitors?
    #6031319 -

I am looking to invest in a pair of studio monitors for my home recording studio.

What I want is a product that offers the best performance relative to it's cost. I don't need the "absolute best" monitors if they're 4000 dollars more than the next step down. I am looking for a practical yet quality solution.

Now then... if you were in my shoes, what would you buy? And why?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Audiophiles: Best "bang for your buck" in studio monitors? [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #6031369 -

I have the KRK Rokit 8's and I love them. Great sound, very well defined. Not too pricy (600$ for a pair or something like that)

But the best advice I can give you is go to a shop and try out a few different ones, there are audiable differences and one monitor will sound good for you but not for someone else, that's why you should listen for yourself. :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Audiophiles: Best "bang for your buck" in studio monitors? [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #6031397 -

well.... since you didnt really say your price range, I will just tell you what I have found to be my favorite monitors in all the studios I have worked at.

First, let me say that you don't need huge speakers... I always see these people getting enormous stacks.... bigger and more isn't better.

Also, you need to decide if you want active or passive monitors, meaning internally or externally amped. There are pro's and con's to each, and without more info I can't really reccommend one, but if I had to guess, you should go with active monitors, ones with the amps already in them.

with that being said, the most crisp and uncolored studio monitors I have heard so far, have always been from KRK.... now they are expensive, but If I were to ever make a studio, there would be no question what to have for my near field monitors...

http://www.krksys.com/v3/expose_e8t.asp

please, stay away from JBL, they are too mid-rangy and color the sound way too much. I garauntee if you get a complete KRK system, you will be very pleased.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Audiophiles: Best "bang for your buck" in studio monitors? [Re: stefan]
    #6031458 -

Thanks man... I will definitely get into a store and check some out. I'd like to know which ones I should check out, though. :wink:

I will add KRK Rokit 8's to the list. :laugh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Audiophiles: Best "bang for your buck" in studio monitors? [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #6031480 -

psilocyberin said:
http://www.krksys.com/v3/expose_e8t.asp

please, stay away from JBL, they are too mid-rangy and color the sound way too much. I garauntee if you get a complete KRK system, you will be very pleased.



Thanks for the tips psilo... I will check those ones out as well.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Audiophiles: Best "bang for your buck" in studio monitors? [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #6031487 -

ok, here is something else to know.

When you go to a store to "check out" speakers - actually, anything expressing acoustic energy- make them take you to a "listening room".

at these audio places, the walls are lined with acoustic guitars and other highly resonant things, and when you play a guitar or a speaker, it is using the entire room full of resonance... so of course, shit is going to sound great.

so, make sure you isolate the speakers so you can listen to just them, preferably a completely dead room, one which has lots of couches, carpeting, curtains and pictures on the wall.. etc.

most places should have such a room, and if they dont, ask them to make a set up in an office or anywhere outside of the display room.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Audiophiles: Best "bang for your buck" in studio monitors? [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #6031557 -

Check out Craig's list - sometimes you can get a good deal on decent equipment.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Audiophiles: Best "bang for your buck" in studio monitors? [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #6031763 -

I have the Krk Rp 8's and I love them. They arnt expensive at all I got my pair for $400 flat at guitar center. I found a site that sold them for that much a pair and I got guitar center to match it. Definitely a good pair of monitors for its price.

But if you want something a little better and your budget allows you to check into the Krk V8 series model. They sell for about $450 a speaker but are well worth it.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--KRKV8II

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Audiophiles: Best "bang for your buck" in studio monitors? [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #6032536 -

I'll recommend M-Audio BX5 Studio Monitors along with the SBX subwoofer. Everything sounds amazings. These speakers might be cheaper now b/c they're getting discontinued. So if you're on a budget and looking for good monitors, pick these up.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Audiophiles: Best "bang for your buck" in studio monitors? [Re: gema]
    #6034132 -

Check out EVENTs!
I have a pair of Event TR6's, and I love them. It was down to the Rockits and these, and I just decided that the up and down clarity was better on these.

heed advice listed above.


--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Audiophiles: Best "bang for your buck" in studio monitors? [Re: Blastrid]
    #6038627 -

I have been looking at these
http://www.krksys.com/v3/rokit_rp5.asp as they are only $150 per pair and have good reviews.
are the 8's that much better than these?


--------------------
One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the dark conscious.
--Jung

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Audiophiles: Best "bang for your buck" in studio monitors? [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #6038750 -

I've auditioned all the above listed monitors, and  Wharfedales beat them all hands down.

I use Tannoy Reveal 6 Passives with an Alesis RS-300 amp. Both the amp and monitors have 20 - 51kHz response.

My dog loves them...  :smirk:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Audiophiles: Best "bang for your buck" in studio monitors? [Re: j_db69]
    #6038944 -

j_db69 said:
I have been looking at these
http://www.krksys.com/v3/rokit_rp5.asp as they are only $150 per pair and have good reviews.
are the 8's that much better than these?



Yes the 8's would be a better buy. The Rp 5's and 6's lack bass compared to the 8's. But you can always buy the Rp-10s sub to go with the 5's or 6's. Also its $150 each not pair.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Audiophiles: Best "bang for your buck" in studio monitors? [Re: Middleman]
    #6039408 -

Jinx said:
I've auditioned all the above listed monitors, and  Wharfedales beat them all hands down.

I use Tannoy Reveal 6 Passives with an Alesis RS-300 amp. Both the amp and monitors have 20 - 51kHz response.

My dog loves them...  :smirk:



what would be the point in having anything with a frequency response past 23KHz? the human hearing range is only 20Hz to 20KHz.

also, amplifiers have as much to do with the sound quality as the speakers. I think KRK's are the best for n00b studio, since you don't have to worry about all that stuff, plus the active speakers have perfectly suited amplifiers.

Wharfedales are nice, but I think they have a little too much high end coloration, though great for live sound, I still say the KRK's are by far the best for this current application.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Audiophiles: Best "bang for your buck" in studio monitors? [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #6042950 -

I disagree with your opinion about the wharfedales.

The reason for monitors w/ 51kHz response is the high inaudible frequencies attenuate the lower audible ones.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Audiophiles: Best "bang for your buck" in studio monitors? [Re: Middleman]
    #6044447 -

well, most music has cut-off filters that go from 20.5 Khz and up.... also, I dont think that is true.... it is possible, but all my years of studying psychoacoustics and sound reinforcement never once mentioned this.

it sounds like a great selling point though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* How much better are studio monitors? adamj 1,141 12 07/11/06 08:05 PM
by pH_
* should i get KRK RP8 studio monitors? DistortedEyes 1,525 15 01/25/07 01:31 AM
by stefan
* studio monitors king_cobra 651 1 07/31/06 10:05 PM
by Osker246
* New studio monitors! **pictures** Blastrid 1,240 10 03/17/06 11:37 AM
by Blastrid
* Help me complete my music studio tomk 870 4 08/09/06 02:40 AM
by SneezingPenis
* Our Studio Penguarky Tunguin 702 5 07/10/05 10:50 PM
by subterranean_
* what gear do you use? (softsynths,monitors etc.) DistortedEyes 1,273 13 07/31/06 05:25 AM
by Colonel Kurtz Ph.D
* Recording studio questions ToTheSummit 1,255 6 10/17/02 05:44 PM
by MsPacMan

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, automan, DividedQuantum
5,930 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 2 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.