I want to start by saying the purpose of this post is not to offend anyone. I just want to make some personal observations and pose a question or two.
I really do not understand the connection to Pagan, Wiccan, and New Age religion to drugs. I understand that drugs affect the whole person: mind, body and spirit. I suppose that many drug usurers are drawn to a pantheistic type of religion because drug users are not accepted by main stream Judeo-Christian religion. Drug use is often a misguided act of rebellion against the mainstream, this was certainly the case with me, in my younger days.
It is much easier for someone to led an openly homosexual lifestyle then be open about drug use in many denominations. Why do casual drug users allow themselves to be pushed out of the mainstream? I’ll bet everyone reading this knows lots of people who are devout Christians despite having a more sociality acceptable vices (alcoholism for example). Why should a user of illicit drugs have a harder time reconciling traditional religion and drug use?
America is with out a doubt, the number one consumer of drugs. We schizophrenically spend millions on prescription drugs such as: adderall, prozac and ritalin while spending millions more to fight illegal drug use. While a few battles have been won in decriminalizing drug use, many states have increased penalties thanks to the surge in meth use. To me, the drug war is a problem of perception and a lack of knowledge. Illicit drug users a perceived as leaches on societies asss. Because the drug culture has cut it’s self off from a larger society it has lost it’s place in American politics. I find the association with new age religion to be part of the problem. Perception = (Damm tree worshiping, dope smoking hippies)
I really find it hard to believe writers such as McKenna represent the average dope smokers ideas of god and self. Why then are these the predominate voices advocating the right to experimental drug use? It is disappointing to find scholarly research papers on the effects of drug use intermeddled with metaphysics. New age religion is a departure not only from main stream religion but from science. Most scheduled drugs have legitimate medicinal uses for example the use of psychedelics to relive chronic migraines. Time and time again I have found the benefits and dangers of drug use clouded with Pseudo-Science. Ideas such as confusing a hallucination with expanded perception are dangerous to the naive user. Mckenna may make a fine poster boy for new age religion but he is detrimental to making drug use safe and a tolerated part of society.
Edited by mjgecko (09/02/06 01:47 AM)
|