Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebudbuckeye
Stranger
Perlite/Vermiculite question
    #5780656 - 06/22/06 04:29 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Went to the store today and got some perlite and vermiculite. Lowe's only had the miracle gro perlite with ferts. added. Will this casue a problem in fruiting chamber? Also, they only have the fine vermiculite. Will this work as good as the coarse? Thanks.

Edited by budbuckeye (06/22/06 04:30 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Perlite/Vermiculite question [Re: budbuckeye]
    #5780690 - 06/22/06 04:39 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i use the miracle gro kind in my fc because its all i can find locally.  before i did everyone told me "no no its a horrible idea the fertilizer can feed contams!" and i'll bet somebody will want to chime in with that same advice, but its just not really the case... never a problem.  ive had the same miracle gro perlite in an FC now for 2+ months with dozens of cakes having successfully passed through.  i dig through on occasion to check it out and its just as clean as the day i put it in there, save for some spores that the mushrooms have dropped on it.  i did rinse it off in a big collander first, the water that poured through it was brownish so something was washing off it for sure... you may wish to do the same.

fine verm works just fine as well, as long as its not so fine its like dust.  as long as its a little bit chunky you're good to go. :thumbup:

Offlinewiggles
Miffed a Milf
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Perlite/Vermiculite question [Re: creamcorn]
    #5780731 - 06/22/06 04:52 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'd see no problem with the perlite. I personally like to wet down whatever perlite I use, and then bake it on a cookie sheet for about an hour and a half @400 degrees before I use it though. I also do that between each usage of the FC.. just wanna make sure no little buggies start growing.

As for the verm, we only have fine grade around here and its never given much of a problem. The major diff is coarse grade tends to retain its shape and structure where I've seen fine grade kind of get.. um.. goopy.

--------------------

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Hunter S. Thompson

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation