Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemariasabina
addict
substrate layer in casing
    #568616 - 03/03/02 02:53 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

next time i case, i'm planning on putting a very thin substrate layer in the middle of the casing layer. i will put a thin layer of coco coir over the crumbled cakes, then sprinkle a very thin layer of BRF on top of it (thin enough that you can still see the coco coir). mist it down with H20/H202 solution, then finish the casing layer, and mist it with the solution. do you think this is feasible?

--------------------
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot. - Niel Gaiman

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: substrate layer in casing [Re: mariasabina]
    #568649 - 03/03/02 03:34 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I remember this guy named potroast(I think thats who it was)at the old drool donkey that did something very similar and it worked well. Of course there is greater risk of contams doing this, but if done with common sense and the right substrate it can work and does seem to help a good bit.

What he did was crumble half his spawn into a tray and then spread pre steeped pressure cooked birdseed over the top, you don't want to spread the substrate all the way to the edges of the tray, leave about an inch or so of space from the walls of the tray. Then crumble more spawn over the top and add you casing layer. You don't want any of the uncolonized birdeed to touch the tray walls, you want the birdseed to be completely cover and surrounded by colonized spawn.

--------------------

Invisiblemariasabina
addict
Re: substrate layer in casing [Re: Lizard King]
    #568666 - 03/03/02 03:45 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

thanx LK... i'm going to go ahead and try it.... and i will post pics if everthing turns out

--------------------
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot. - Niel Gaiman

Invisiblemariasabina
addict
    #584663 - 03/20/02 11:17 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i decided to case with somewhat spent cakes (post 3rd flush). the reason for this is that a strong flush with spent cakes would show that the substrate layer substantially benefits the casing. however, i didn't want to use completely spent cakes, as i wanted the coir to be colonized efficiently.

this pic shows the substrate layer

after finishing the casing, i misted with H20/H202

2 days later, i check the casings and notice a faint rotting smell. i almost trash them, but decide to keep them around in the slightest chance that the mycelium will gobble up the casings before things get hairy. sure enough, mycelium has overtaken the casing and the bad smell is completely gone. i put the casings in the terrarium and misted them down. the mycelium is less visible after misting, especially the casing on the right

--------------------

Invisiblemariasabina
addict
    #591499 - 03/28/02 01:25 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

here are the results. i should have cased other spent cakes without a substrate layer as a control to see the difference a substrate layer makes. still, not too bad for cakes that were cased post 3rd flush

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology