Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemoxjet20
Loc: santa cruz, magical land ...
Down to Earth brand coco coir
    #552677 - 02/15/02 03:59 PM (15 years, 11 days ago)

just to let you know Down to Earth of Eugene Oregon brand coco bricks aren't working out for me.. might want to avoid them if you see 'em.. i guess i should have stuck with gro-brick brand, couldn't find it at the nursery i went to.. has anyone had any experience with this brand? let me tell you how it was used

broke off a piece, watered it to field capacity, and nuked it for 5 minutes(covered). let it cool covered in the fridge. then with hands washed first with soap, rinsed, then rinsed with alchohol it was quickly sprinkled on to fully colonized worm castings as a casing. all 3 casings made in this method (including a nice rubbermaid tub full of 4 or 5 lbs of castings :sad:) had cobweb mold growing within the next day. the casings were kept closed and covered in an incubator and were not exposed to air in the meantime.

i have had results with 50/50+, however because i had been having problems with making it too wet and getting trich i decided to switch and give coir a try. i haven't had cobweb on a casing in a long time.. this is really frustrating as i have had to throw out around 5 or 6 lbs of colonized castings so far ..

heh ps. anyone know a surefire way to rid yourself of cobweb? 

--------------------
Free Spore Ring
what became of subtlety?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Down to Earth brand coco coir [Re: moxjet20]
    #552777 - 02/15/02 05:59 PM (15 years, 11 days ago)

I use that brand...works fine. Ive actually never had a problem with it so far.

You probably just got it contaminated in your process.

Try boiling it for an hour...let sit for a few hours, then case. :smile:

Offlinemoxjet20
Loc: santa cruz, magical land ...
Re: Down to Earth brand coco coir [Re: angryshroom]
    #552889 - 02/15/02 07:51 PM (15 years, 11 days ago)

angryshroom.. sorry but to me "works fine" for coco-coir means you shouldn't have to sterilize it, as I have read over and over on these boards.

thanks vatoloco although i am sure my water content was fine, usually trichoderma shows up more often when you over-water.. and no eating fruits from a cobweb infected casing or cake shouldn't kill u unless you are allergic to it

*edit* oh yeah one more thing, angryshroom would you say
coir contaminates more easily than other casing mixtures? i thought it would be less susceptible but then again i am the one with cobweb all over the place.. reason i ask is i pretty much do the same thing when i case using 50/50+ or vermiculite and i usually don't run in to problems.. especially not with cobweb.

--------------------
Free Spore Ring
what became of subtlety?

Edited by moxjet20 (02/15/02 07:54 PM)

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Down to Earth brand coco coir [Re: moxjet20]
    #552929 - 02/15/02 08:40 PM (15 years, 11 days ago)

How bout... "It works GREAT!" :smile: hehe.

Mycelium seriouisly RIPS through the stuff, and is great for me so far. (dont wanna jinx myself!!)

I honestly never sterlized it when I first used it, and never had a problem. I sterlize now because I hate to see anything go to waste after all that effort. Id rather take a few extra hours and make it work out, ya know?

Coir contains NO nutritional value whatsoever, so it is great about keeping any contams from living off of it. It does have some things that shouldnt be in it, so I try to remove anything that doesnt look like the coir itself.

It does tend to dry out a lot, but its really easy to determine if its dry or whatever...mist when it turnes almost a sandy color.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation