Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSqueeky
Coco Coir Casing Tek????
    #683606 - 06/17/02 09:35 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Just had a few questions, which are about using Coco Coir for casing. Since there is no written tek yet, I figured I'd ask. I currently have several jars fully colonized and I have a brick of Bed-a-beast I plan on using as my casing. I want to have 2 jars, per bread pan. I was wondering a few questions first.

1) Since I'm not all my jars are done at the same time, should one prepare the entire brick of coco, and store in a tupperware container, or is it best to break off a chunk and perpare, and keep the unused portion in brick form?

2) What is the best method used to sterilize the coco coir before casing, to keep from having contams?

3) How much should I use as bottom layer, and how much as top, if I'm using 2 1/2 pint jars per casing?

4) When using Coco coir and EQ's, do I need to case and place back or incubator or can I place directly in fruiting chamber?

If someone could please answer these questions or atleast point me in the right direction Also I have a few other questions about my fruiting chamber.

A) My lid is not clear, is it ok to cut out a square and cover with plastic wrap?

B) If I place a jar of H2O/H2O2 with a small air pump, will that be enough humidity, or shold I also place a pan of perilite also?

C) My jars where incubated at mid 80's and my room is like 72-74, is this an ok tamp for my fruiting chamber?

Well I'm sure I'll come up with a few more questions, but if anyone can help please
let me know.

Thanks
Squeeky

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepowderfinger
Re: Coco Coir Casing Tek???? [Re: Squeeky]
    #683622 - 06/17/02 09:45 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I am trying coco coir for the first time also. I did a search and found alot on it, everything you will need to know.

--------------------
Shelter me from the powder and the finger,
cover me with the thought that pulled the trigger.

OfflineLaCasta
Beyond Good andEvil

Loc: Chicago
Re: Coco Coir Casing Tek???? [Re: powderfinger]
    #683668 - 06/17/02 10:16 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Someone was kind enough to tell me so I will spread the info

Take the coco coir and put it into a piece of tupperware. Add water till its one inch past the top. Place this in the oven for one hour at 350 degrees. Wash your hands, then take the coco coir and squeeze it untill all the excess water comes out, you want it to be moist not soaked. Now all you have to do is apply the bottom layer, the crumbled substrate, and top layer. Someone told me 1/4 of an inch of coco per inch of substrate, I dont know if this is correct, as I have yet to try this. Im going to watch my friend do it soon though...........

--------------------

"Memories of high speeds when the cops crash, As I laugh pushin the gas while my glocks blast" -RIP Tupac

Offlinedi11rod

follow regular casing tek [Re: Squeeky]
    #684067 - 06/17/02 01:52 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Although I am not a coco coir expert (I'm trying it for the first time myself), I think you can just follow existing casing teks like the 50/50 tek, etc. Add limestone or crushed oystershell in some small amount.

One thing that is interesting is that I've seen several regulars (mykotek in particular) say that they don't even sterilize their coir. They just soak it and apply....

hmm

di11rod

OfflineFanaTEK
Slave to theShroom

Loc: Midwest, US
    #684100 - 06/17/02 02:07 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

1. Prepare only what you need at the moment - by moisturizing your casing, you are making it hospitable for things to grow in. That's great for your mycelium, but also for contams.

2. The easiest method is to put your coco in a jar or tupperware container, cover with plastic wrap (secure with a big rubber band) and microwave for 10-12 minutes. Cover securely, let cool, and case.

3. You will get many answers on this, but I reccomend about 1/4" on the bottom and 1" on the top.

4. After casing, cover your tray with aluminum foil and place back in the incubation chamber. You will know it's ready for the fruiting chamber when you see mycelium starting to poke through the casing in like 2 or three places.

A. Plastic wrap will probably work, but if you plan on using your fruiting chamber ever again my cat suggests getting a $1-2 piece of cut plexiglas from Home Depot and using 'Goop' or some kind of strong, flexible adhesive to attach it permanently. He really loves pressing my nose right up against it when he's checking out his little ones. Plastic wrap won't be nearly as clear, and probably won't stand up to the rigors of daily fanning, harvesting, re-casing, etc.

B. Well, my cat would start by just using the air pump with the H2O2/H2O and seeing if that makes your humidity high enough. He would also add a 1-2" layer of dry perlite on the bottom anyway, to prevent water from pooling up as it runs down the sides of the container. If you find that you need more moisture, you can always add water to the perlite.

C. For Cubes, your ambient room temperature ought to be just fine.

Sounds like you have everything under control. Good luck!

FanaTEK

--------------------
Read the FAQ!
Read !

OfflineUHID
enthusiast
Loc: IL
Re: follow regular casing tek [Re: di11rod]
    #684222 - 06/17/02 02:58 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

i've never sterilized coco before using it, and i haven't had a contamination, yet (at least, not before flushing at least once). i never 'mix up' more than i can use at any one time, though.

take care! stay safe...
-bizarro

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
    #684906 - 06/17/02 09:02 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Some of my fire ants noticed that coco improves yeild of flushs and speeds things up, but at the same time contams can spread just as fast. Vermiculite yields less but contams less.

OfflinePeace_Patrol
Rambling hippie
Loc: Electric Neverending
Re: Coco Coir Casing Tek???? [Re: durban_poison]
    #685002 - 06/17/02 11:34 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Hey everyone
Uh, well I feel really DUMB asking this question but I dont know maybe we don't get it where I live (New Zealand) but.....
What is Coco Coir?
I have never heard of it before & I don't know where to look, garden shop maybe? No one really seems to say what it is they just say coco coir...Hope someone can answer me without flamin me

Offlineshianggu
Loc: Asia
Re: Coco Coir Casing Tek???? [Re: Peace_Patrol]
    #685008 - 06/17/02 11:55 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Gardening centers should have it. You have B&Q's right? I get mine from there.

OfflineUHID
enthusiast
Loc: IL
Re: Coco Coir Casing Tek???? [Re: Peace_Patrol]
    #685015 - 06/18/02 12:23 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

it's the hairy brown fibers from the outside of coconuts. not every garden center will have it, but hydroponic shops are very likely to have it. there are lots of mail order places to, many of which will probably ship to NZ

take care!
-bizarro

here's a pic of general hydroponics brand:
Coco Coir Blocks & Geolite Rocks

here are the dealers listed in OZ for GH products - couldn't find any for NZ:
OZ Hydro Shops

Edited by UHID (06/18/02 12:29 AM)

Offlinethebamaking
Stranger
Re: Coco Coir Casing Tek???? [Re: UHID]
    #10665805 - 07/12/09 09:08 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

one form of coco is very easy to obtain at almost any pet store. its called eco earth, used for reptile and amphibian bedding substrate. i'm not sure as to the limits of the word "coir" but eco earth is definately sterile coco fibers and has worked great for me so far.

--------------------
Treeeeeeeez of Liiiiiiiiife:mushroom2:

OfflineWronguy

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Coco Coir Casing Tek???? [Re: thebamaking]
    #10665884 - 07/12/09 09:20 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Just about every dry ingredient is sterile....until you add water to it. Be clear in what you're saying here please. There is not a sterilization procedure being done to this product. It's simply dry and therefore not directly harboring live contaminates.

OfflineThe shroomy 1
Luminous beings surround me
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Aether
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Coco Coir Casing Tek???? [Re: Wronguy]
    #10666263 - 07/12/09 10:31 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Why are we even talking about coir as a casing layer?  That information is so outdated. :banghead:

--------------------

AMU Q&A thread.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale