Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSqueeky
Coco Coir Casing Question?
    #671973 - 06/10/02 04:45 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Ok I finally have some fully colonized jars, after inoculating on 5/20. I aslo have a clear sterilite container, I plan on using for my fruiting chamber, and pyrex bread pans for cases.

I want to use Coco Coir since it's simple and has good results. But I am confused about a few things with it. After reading many post I have the option on of three different setups.

1) No Bottom Layer and Straight Coco Coir on top.
2)Layer of Coco Coir Substrate and thin layer of Coco.
3)Vermiculite Bottom, Substrate, Thin Layer of Coco.

I plan on breaking up 2 jars per, pan. I also have a few other questions about casing w/ coco.

A)Do I still need to cover casing with aluminium foil and patch mycelium the first few days?
B)If I don't cut a window in the top of my chamber will they not grow right.

I also have a small air pump and bubble stone, which I planned on placing in h2o2 water, but I've also been advised to use it with perlite and h2o2 water. Which is recommended? All help you give me would be great. So far I'm flawless 10 jars inoculated looks like 9 jars with fully colonize, 1 is struggling.

Thanks
Squeeky

Forgot something:
I plan on using bed-a-beast, and was wondering what the recommended way of using this was. Not all my jars will be done at once, so I don't want to hydrate it all at once, can I break a piece off and then hydrate it, or if I hydrate it all, can I put it in tupperware and use it later. Just curious

Edited by Squeeky (06/10/02 04:50 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinehenryp
Refugee from the Group W bench

Re: Coco Coir Casing Question? [Re: Squeeky]
    #672111 - 06/10/02 06:16 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

"2)Layer of Coco Coir Substrate and thin layer of Coco."

I've heard this gives reasonably fantastic results. Thin lower layer of wet coir, substrate, coir casing layer. Bigguns!

"A)Do I still need to cover casing with aluminium foil and patch mycelium the first few days?"

Depends on the strain, according to news on the wire. Tazzies colonize the coir SUPER fast, so I've heard of casing and straight to the fruiting chamber. YMMV. Patching helps with a more even pinset, and cover it with foil (poke a few holes with a fork or something first). Just check it to see how aggressive the mycelium is.

"B)If I don't cut a window in the top of my chamber will they not grow right."

If you chamber is clear, you'll have no worries. Try just using Saran Wrap or whatever on the top--clear, cheap, and makes a nice seal.

Coir works very well, AFAIK. Are you planning to sterililze it or not? In a recent dream I found myself not sterilizing, and seeing no contamination problems (through 4 flushes)....

My SuperEgo really, REALLY likes this stuff......

Your casing trays might need to be wrapped in something opaque, to keep pins from coming up from underneath. If I were to guess, I'd say that you don't need any extra humidification in your fruiting chamber--the casing will provide it, unless your chamber is huge relative to the size of the casing.

Good luck......

--------------------
"You do know how to whistle, don't you, Steve?  You just put your lips together and.....blow"

Edited by henryp (06/10/02 06:20 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation