Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNomez
journeyman
One Pint Jar Progress
    #533890 - 01/28/02 11:19 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

I started this venture a couple of months ago. I read everything I could and ordered the spores and bought all the supplies. Unfortunatly I, like an idiot, picked up the wrong size jars; one pint instead of 1/2 pint.

I got some advise to just use them instead of going out and spending the money to buy more jars (me being poor). So I proceeded using 2 cc's in each jar, 5 jars total. I was worried about contaminates because of how long they would take to incoculate, they are now growing pretty well now with no signs of contams. Of course they are growing quite a bit slower than if I had used the 1/2 pint jars (Nearly 30 days).

2 of the 5 are almost ready for birthing and the rest are in varing degrees of growth. 2 of the jars are growing incredibly slow. I believe this is because of the way they are packed. I think I packed them a bit too much (lesson for next time).

I was planning on just using the PF cake tek for my first becuase of the simplicity. I was also planning on cutting the cakes in half with a sterilized knife, the cakes being almost twice as tall as the usual half pint cakes.

I also have a plastic rubbermaid-esque box as a terrarium. It is clear on the sides and has a white plastic top. I was testing it and I got the humidity and temp about right but im not sure about the sunlight. Does it really have to come in through the tops and does it matter if the mushrooms grow off the sides of the cakes?

Anyone have any suggestions or comments on what I should do or not do?
Thanks

--------------------
i wish i could give out my thoughts
let someone else feel them
and experience who i am
its difficult
sometimes impossible
always impossible?
i hope not

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: One Pint Jar Progress [Re: Nomez]
    #533971 - 01/28/02 12:34 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Hey,

Glad to hear your pint containers are going good so far...

I don't believe that the white top will cause too much of a problem if your going to put the terrarium near a window or something, however if your going to use a light, I'd most likely turn the box upsidown and put the perlite on the lid, and use the transparent bottom as a top. I dont think this will be too much of an issue, however it would most likely be better for the shrooms in general.

Also if your using natural light from a window, make sure its not RIGHT near the window as it could make the box real hot and be detrimental to mushroom production.

As for cutting the cakes in half, I've never done that, however it sounds like a good idea, creating more surface area to make more mushrooms. However I really do not know either way. Possibly one of the experienced guys will answer that question...

Good luck! :smile:

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: One Pint Jar Progress [Re: angryshroom]
    #534071 - 01/28/02 02:24 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Search about for the Flat Cake Take.

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

Offlinefresh357
addict

Re: One Pint Jar Progress [Re: phrozendata]
    #534387 - 01/28/02 08:13 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

cutting cakes in half is alright, but since they are in larger jars and the inside of the cake might not be fully colonized,it is a little more dangerous. be sure you let them fully complete befor you cut them up.

my advice to you is to case, however. you may feel that you are too much of a beginner, but if you read up and follow procedures to the letter you can have a very large first-timer flush.

OfflineNomez
journeyman
Re: One Pint Jar Progress [Re: fresh357]
    #535767 - 01/30/02 10:07 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the advise. I think Im going to give the jars a bit longer to innculate, to be sure they are fully colonized. I may still cut them in half but I will probably leave one or 2 of them full size to compare the results.

angryshroom-
Im using perlite for humidification. How do you think I should keep all that under control while I open the terrarium to place the cakes in and out and for fanning? That sounds like a great solution if I can get the perlite down... maybe I could build a short box to put on the lid and put the perlite in that.

The flat cake tek looks good and I might try that after I get a batch or two down the road. I want to keep this as simple as possible as to not screw it up.

--------------------
and experience who i am
its difficult
sometimes impossible
always impossible?
i hope not

OfflineMickyFinn
Fuck the DJ
Loc: VA Beach VA
    #535803 - 01/30/02 11:03 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

1 pint jars take forever to colonize, i did 4 of them well over 2 months ago 2 are halfway done, 1 just started colonizing last week and the 4th jar is still looking like it did 2 months ago. how are you to even know when they are done in the center? do you have to wait till they start pinning intro?? ill get some pix to show ya.

OfflineMickyFinn
Fuck the DJ
Re: One Pint Jar Progress [Re: MickyFinn]
    #535810 - 01/30/02 11:17 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

this is all i have gotten out of 1 pint jars in 2 1/2 months, so, what i would like to know, is the center colonizing like the outside part? or will i have to wait for pinning to know that the center is completely colonized?

OfflineNomez
journeyman
Re: One Pint Jar Progress [Re: MickyFinn]
    #536225 - 01/30/02 06:14 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Actually, on that last point, I was kind of curious myself. I, just yesterday, found that one of my jars (one that was growing nicely) has a nice litte green mold. I figured that it was soon to be a gonner so, just for the hell of it, I birthed it. As it turns out, it was premature to say the least. It was not nearly as colonized in the middle as it was on the outside, and its been almost a month now.

So Im guessing one pinters should expect *at least* a fourty day colonization time. Of course Im only speculating, I have read several posts that say they have seen good results around twenty days.

--------------------
and experience who i am
its difficult
sometimes impossible
always impossible?
i hope not

OfflineMickyFinn
Fuck the DJ
    #536247 - 01/30/02 06:34 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

im curious, what kind of strain were they using? i used some nw fl cube strain that i found in a local headshop. i nocked up a 1/2 pint tall jar on the 12th of this month and its more than half way colonized, much quicker than the full pints. i dont think i put the substrate in there too tightly, it is breathing. just for the hell of it i flipped one of those full pints because the growth stalled, it quickly start growing after that. but still its taken since the middle of november for that much to grow in the posted pix above, keep in mind, its not fully connected all the way around. i inocculated at the 4 points and all the growth is from one point. what do you think?

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#536382 - 01/30/02 09:28 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Nomez,
As for humidification of the terrarium, the perlite will keep things nice and humid even during fanning and taking off the top. It might drop down a few points of course, but really just pumps things back up again within a few minutes.

You should make sure your incubator is set to at least 85 degrees, to insure maximum colonization.

If I were you I would try experimenting with these cakes, however I dont know if you want to risk them. The 1/2 jars are only like 9 bucks for a package of 12.  I wonder if it would work if you could crumble the colonized sections of the cake, and case them....If they were mine, id just go ahead and try it. When you crumble them and case them, your leaving open spaces of substrate, and the mycelium grows really quick, and grows to re-establish its network.

When you case in coco coir, (like Ive tried), I see mycelium grow through 3/4" of coco in 1 day. However, the cakes that I used were 100% colonized through the center. Ive heard that cakes that aren't completely colonized wont work however, so dont try this unless someone else says its a good idea and they have had great sucess with it. :smile:

OfflineNomez
journeyman
Re: One Pint Jar Progress [Re: angryshroom]
    #537164 - 01/31/02 07:00 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

I will probably end up dishing out the 9 bucks, or whatever, for the half pint jars the next time, but for now I guess I'll make due with what I have.

Im thinking about casing half my jars and just using cakes for the rest of my jars. I can learn more about what methods work well and maybe get the higher yeilds of casing without blowing the whole batch if I screw up.

Ive been reading a lot about casing. I am curious, what would be the best casing method for beginers? And is there a full tek that is really good? Even after all the teks Ive read through Im still a little fuzzy on the methods and, for that matter, the whole reasoning for it... besides the higher yeilds of course.

Basically this is my understanding of casing... please let me know if Im wrong on any points.

There is moist/wet verm on the bottem layer and then the broken up mycelium goes on top... some say another thin layer of verm. Then you cover and incubate til just before pinning. After that you uncover it and put it in the terrarium and... yadda yadda yadda... you've got mushrooms. *And I am aware that there are a lot of different substances that can be used in place of verm.

Is that about right?

--------------------
and experience who i am
its difficult
sometimes impossible
always impossible?
i hope not

OfflineSurf Bum
    #537168 - 01/31/02 07:19 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

don't forget to add a little crushed oyster and lime to the casing layer (if its available) and don't throw out those jars when your done cuz you could possibly use some of that colonized substrate to mix up some mycelium syringes which would germinate quicker then spores....

--------------------

OfflineMaddoxA
Stranger

#26487634 - 02/15/20 08:58 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

:takingnotes:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale