Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Mushroom-Hut Shop: Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMycoGlowFlow
between the walls
Male

Loc: michigan
Rye in half pint jars
    #534075 - 01/28/02 02:28 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

i have used rye teks in the quart jars before, but since i lost the use of my old pressure cooker that could hold a quart jar, i am forced to use my half pint jars because they are the only ones that will fit into my current pressure cooker. i did not kno the measurements off hand of what to put into the half pint jars. so, i did an experiment. I put two jars into my pressure cooker. One jar had the same amount of rye and water that you would use in a quart jar, the other had the proportions cut down by 7/8 to make it one eighth of what would be in the quart jar, (because im pretty sure there are 4 pints in one quart). After pressure cooking them at 15 psi for 45 minutes i took them out and allowed them to cool. the one that i had filled with the same amount as you would for the quart jar looked full to the top, all the moisture was absorbed by the rye berries. the other jar still had loads of water in it and the rye was kinda floating around. So i innoculated 5 more jars with the quart proportions for rye. Can this work? Have any of you used it? i havent and am looking for some advice into what will happen and what i should expect. thanx.

--------------------
(the key-strokes that have completed everything ever typed on this user name have been a random coincidence, except for the words in this notation)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleWakingUpLate
addict
Loc: Born on a mountain, Raise...
Re: Rye in half pint jars [Re: MycoGlowFlow]
    #534281 - 01/28/02 06:37 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

There are 2 pints in a quart.

--------------------
The rest of those, who have gone before us,
cannot settle the unrest of those who follow.
(Finding Forrester)

Offlinebluhoney
Yes Im a realgirl ,geeesh
Female User Gallery

Re: Rye in half pint jars [Re: MycoGlowFlow]
    #540103 - 02/04/02 09:32 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

My friend hasnt tried rye, so she cannot comment on whether she has tried it or not, but it appears to be like birdseed in that it absorbs water. You may want to soak the rye berries first before you pressure cook them. bluhoney:) 

--------------------
Information listed here is for entertainment only and is neither real or proven

Jump to top Pages: 1

Mushroom-Hut Shop: Substrate Bags